Massive USA Road Trip for S19?

nickgeorge25

Car(s)
2013 BMW 328i M-Sport
Jeremy is blabbing on Twitter again... sounds like the boys will be back in the states for another US road trip!

@mrjamesmay Meanwhile, I'm up early to start work on our US road trip. You OK with the Renault Scenic?

So that's 3,000 mile trip. Hammond in a Ferrari. Me in the Aston. And May in a Tacuma.

When I say Hammond will have a Ferrari, I mean Fiat. Though when I say Fiat, I mean Chrysler.

I guess the following:
Dodge Dart so Richard can complain that it's nothing like the old Dart, though it fills the same role as the small car with a bit of the performance of its larger brethren.
Chevrolet Cruze so James can complain that they've taken an Astra and made it worse.
Scion FR-S so Jeremy can destroy his rear tires like an idiot.

And you can read about why they aren't going to be driving any of those cars (Scenic, Tacuma, etc. - excluding Chrysler, Fiat and Ferrari) here, here and here.

Last edited:
Actually, there is an exception. Foreign visitors on a valid visa may bring their own cars in for the duration of their visa - but they cannot keep it here beyond the expiration of their visa, they may not sell them, and when they leave the car must as well.

Like this guy did:

[video=youtube;i-KvDGo3nPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-KvDGo3nPc[/video]

Like this guy did:

[video=youtube;i-KvDGo3nPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-KvDGo3nPc[/video]

That vehicle was older than 25, so no, not like that guy did.

Edit: The second here link explains this in plain English, including the exception mentioned by Spectre.

Last edited:
I think they usually source their cars locally when they do foreign trips.

Anyway, beware of false rumours..

Actually, there is an exception. Foreign visitors on a valid visa may bring their own cars in for the duration of their visa - but they cannot keep it here beyond the expiration of their visa, they may not sell them, and when they leave the car must as well.

That is true. Just pray you don't get pulled over in the middle of Nebraska by a redneck cop who barely graduated high school and have to explain yourself...

I was referring to Spectre's exception where they wouldn't actually need to import the cars into the country.

Except you weren't. The cars are still imported when they are brought here by someone who is here on a valid visa, although they are kept to the limitations mentioned in the NHTSA link (here for no more than one year, not allowed to be sold, must be imported by a citizen of a foreign country, etcetera).

When a car is older than 25, the import restrictions no longer apply. A 25 year old car is easier to import, can be imported by a US citizen, can be sold and can stay in the country indefinitely.

Last edited:
FinalGear is full of stupid arguments recently.

Looking forward to seeing them come back to the States.

If they are going the supercar route, Hammond's Ferrari-Fiat-Chrysler is most likely the new SRT Viper.

But, more likely, they will be the Dodge Dart (owned by Fiat), the Ford Fusion (which looks like an Aston) and the Chevrolet Cruze (which is basically a Daewoo).

(EDIT: Could also be a Dodge Dart Rallye Turbo, Ford Focus ST and Chevrolet Sonic RS.)

Last edited:
In the new TG Magazine Jeremy's column talks about a US Road Trip to the western deserts with a Dodge Viper (Richard), The new Aston Martin Vanquish (James) and the Lexus LFA (Jeremy). Jez wanted to use the Ferrari F12 but said it wouldn't be available in time for the trip. The tone of the piece sounded pretty definite.

In the new TG Magazine Jeremy's column talks about a US Road Trip to the western deserts with a Dodge Viper (Richard), The new Aston Martin Vanquish (James) and the Lexus LFA (Jeremy). Jez wanted to use the Ferrari F12 but said it wouldn't be available in time for the trip. The tone of the piece sounded pretty definite.

Could you scan or copy the article?

I'd much rather watch those cars. When is the first Viper due to be delivered? Did it happen already? (My new life cleaning toilets has left me little time to read about such things).

Could you scan or copy the article?

No need really - most of the article was about the LFA - not the trip.

Yesterday Jeremy tweeted in response to someone asking if they would ever come to Mexico City.

Jeremy Clarkson @jcrclarksonesq
@DanyGaGa We will be in Mexico next week.

Although it could be for another segment he does say 'we' so this sounds as if this US road trip may well be starting or ending in Mexico.

James has tweeted his usual "weather crap in Hammersmith, think I'll go to the States for a bit" type tweet this morning.

Sounds like a trip worthy of a whole film, rather than a segment on the regular show.

and they're off to the US. @thehamsterscage: "Off to US with the apes. ..." and @jcrclarksonesq: "People of America. Later today, @thehamsterscage @MrJamesMay and I will arrive in your country to make some noises."