[11x01] June 22nd, 2008

[11x01] June 22nd, 2008

• Total voters
does someone know if, in the near future, topgear will be presented in HD?

Yeah, I reckon if they actually took the police segment seriously and got proper cars, it would have been more enjoyable.

It was an alright episode, didn't find the stuff at the start too interesting...

I laughed all the way throught the Cop car bit tho.

I really liked this episodes mix of segments. I enjoyed the shorter segments to get the episode kicked off. I hope they do that more often as it helps the episode move more quickly rather than having to endure a long and predictable power review of a supercar (F430) that feels like you've already seen it before.

I found the latest 'How Hard Can It Be' challenge quite funny. Much better than the likes of the amphibious cars second attempt and the Reliant Rocket challanges.

Bonus points to James for having the most awesomeness of police sirens :D

I just can't accept that anyone who watches this episodes (and is obviously being entertained) can give less than a 7. I mean, come on? What do you want more?

I'm judging it by comparing to other TG episodes, not the general crap that comes from tv. And by TG standards, this episode was poor, that's what you call opinion, and it's by definition subjective.

it was ok, but what happend to the propper challenges? Back in the old day's the challenge were quite serious, they realy did something with the points and it didn't veel that scripted (sure it was, but not as much as yesterday). I mean, why spend 5 min faking some points, if you can also make the segment 5 min longer. Or just spend some propper time on it and give propper points...

Once again, old TG is probably not coming back. If you want old TG and relevant reviews watch 5th gear. Top Gear is all about entertainment with cars; its now more than ever a show you can watch with your non car-nut friends which I think isn't such a bad thing. I gave it a solid 8 btw

Here`s Jeremy testing the Scuderia
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pZO4fp21wk[/YOUTUBE]
My small complain about the show is that they don`t test many cars, don`t take me wrong I like the other stuff but this is Top Gear, car show. Anybody with some info when they test the Evo 10, can`t wait 4 that.

It was was just OK, everything was average. 7/10
But I'm happy that TG is back.

The Police car part was quite disappointing.
The point was to show us that Astras are slow and boring.
And then Richard comes with 1.6 Suzuki Vitara and James comes with Lexus what weighs 2tonns. They are not fast!!

My small complain about the show is that they don`t test many cars, don`t take me wrong I like the other stuff but this is Top Gear, car show. Anybody with some info when they test the Evo 10, can`t wait 4 that.

God now that's opening a massive can of worms :)

Top Gear isn't a Car Show in the traditional sense - it's long since evolved (read the archive of Clarkson and May columns) into an entertainment show that has cars as a theme.

God now that's opening a massive can of worms :)

Top Gear isn't a Car Show in the traditional sense - it's long since evolved (read the archive of Clarkson and May columns) into an entertainment show that has cars as a theme.
I know that bit but it would be nice if they feature more cars :)

This show was a classic example of why SIARPC should be ditched. When you get a good guest it's worth watching but they should just skip that segment if there's no one decent available.

I guess what I'm saying is that they should only have guest who a) don't have anything to plug AND b) have something interesting to say about cars. Otherwise I'd rather have more TG stuff...

Last edited:
I enjoyed the quick-fire sections before the news. Rather than dragging out one big segment to make the point, they covered it with three seperate parts; the supercar race, the m3/prius challenge and the conclusions and advice in the news. Splitting what was one 'point' across those three seperate mini-parts made it feel like there was a lot more there, which i guess is what Mr.Willman was referring to when he said he was switching to more short and sweet segments. That bit worked well.

The news was fine, i thought the picture was ******, since the shape vaugley looks like a person bending over, but the background colour doesn't match (not that i'm an expert on the composition of ****** or anything...)

The stunt... yeah bit of a damp squib. I would have preferred it if the stunt guy had been a real comic style character like the stig, with his own type of overalls and helmet. Some kind of gimmick, other than a padded racing suit. I actually thought the writers would cut back on the number of stunts, since if you've seen half a dozen, you've really seen them all. We'll see how the stunt segments evolve.

You're all complaining that the Ferrari review was the same formula, but really be fair, how many different ways are there to say "i was suspicious of the car at first, but it's awesome"? Not many. He can't just go babbling in a non-sequitur fashion just so you don't feel like there are any similarities. The engine noise was better than usual (i ranted somewhere else about how they should improve it), but it wasn't edited right. Jeremy would mention how good it sounds, then you'd get the clean sound of the car reving, but then instead of letting you hear a gear change and more revving, they'd edit Jeremy's voice back in. There was no more than about 3 seconds of engine noise uninterrupted. Not really enough to get a good feel for it. That's a small thing, but it's a car show for car enthusiasts, so they should keep in mind what gets car enthusiasts excited.

The stars are catching a lot of flak, but be fair, the interview was a lot shorter than they usually are. Maybe they realized how annoying that queen's voice is so they decided to keep it short. Be realistic; there are always going to be some crap stars. They have to book guests for every show, there are going to be ones that hit and ones that miss. Whether the guest is exciting is the thing they have the least control over when making the show.

The police car segment was just pretty good up until Jeremy started using his wheel spikes, then it was fucking hilarious. Nice camera angles for that bit.

I always find it hard to attach a rating to top gear episodes because i'm not sure how much i'm judging it relative to itself or relative to other shows. I'd rather watch all episodes in a series, then put them in order. Looking forward to the GT-R.

*Edit* Haha, g0atse is censored on the forum.

I'm pretty sure the blurred image is that one of the bloke who really likes his Range Rover (as one of the other posters suggested). Clarkson mentioned the image in his column.

look, it wasn't the best episode ever, but it was 10,000,000 times better than anything else that is on TV or has been in the past few months. god it is good to have Top Gear back.

the only thing i didn't enjoy was as expected SIARPC, and only the queer's voice... nothing against homosexuals, but it was just annoying as fuck and knowing there were no comedy nuggets in that segment I cued forward.

the rest was pretty good though, esp. the police car challenge.. image of Stig merrily flicking on the wipers after May had painted the front of the Bimmer pink had me in stitches.

Quite a good episeode overall. Although I was expecting a bit more for being the first one. But hey! Top gear is back and this is just the first episode!

Did Codemasters film the Ferrari F430 Scuderia review??? Because I really think that bloom toned it down a little bit. It was like watching a Toca Race Driver GRiD replay!

The police cars segement was quite funny (specially James' car police siren :lol:).

And the Top gear stuntman...<_< I dunno but it felt like it didn't fit at all with the program. If that means we will be seeing more stunts int he coming episodes, we will be loosing time for watching car reviews and other stuff :(

Anyways, i gave this episode a 7. Good for Top gear standards but I felt it needed a little bit more of that Top Gear Magic. I just can't wait to see the Japan special episode!! ^_^

EDIT: By the way, did anyone notice the continuity error during the police cars part? When doing his lap, Hammond lost the thing in the front, but during the last part of the track, and in some of the shots he had it back on. :lol:

Last edited:
Was it just me or did you think the editing wasn't up to scratch?

There were a couple of times I noticed segments and different camera angles/scenes were linked at very poor standards... not up to BBC's usualy high quality production!

Actually like many have said here they had some what different feeling about this episode than the old ones and i had the same. It might have been because of the camera work that imo wasnt on TG standarts(that's mostly superb).
-Scuderia part was good.
-That stunt thing just wasent funny at all.
-The news was ok.
-Interview really was crappy imo.
-Police cars was best part of the episode, suprise suprise.
It still was good episode thought.

7+

Last edited: