[11x01] June 22nd, 2008

[11x01] June 22nd, 2008

• Total voters
Police Car Challenge cracked me up, especially Jeremy's Alfa!

"In Prison nobody can hear you scream"

The Alfa that Jeremy stated several time was a 20v Fiat Coupe Turbo then?

His tagline WAS quite funny, but I found the majority of this one distinctly average, although as a famous man once said, while I may disagree with your opinion, I will fight to the death for your right to express it.

oh, anyone notice that hammond didn't wear his hamster helmet in the preview? He crash with it on or did they get jealous of it and wreck it? :p

Who was the other guest apart from Alan Carr?

Justin Lee Collins. Given a choice between JLC and syphilis, you'll get more laughs out of syphilis.

I've just had a thought. Where is superzoom when you need it? :eek: (to see the screens in the news)

I'll put a fiver that that photo that got zoomed away is that one with the bloke in womens underwear with his bits up an exhaust. If you've seen it, you'll know the one I mean*. If not, for the love of God, don't go looking for it.

*It is impossible to forget. Someone needs to invent mind bleach.

Reactions: MWF
^There was an explicit photo?!?!?! *Doesn't go looking for it*

It's strange that people think the Prius is supposed to be economic. It's not the goal of the Prius to save you gas, it's to help the environment, it was designed to emit very low levels of CO2. Something a diesel can't.

Meh, the episode was so-and-so for me. Fuel economy bit was good, and the news was on top form as usual. Didn't pay much attention to the Ferrari bit, but I kinda zone out anyway when it comes to Ferrari reviews (mainly for the same reason as Jezza - those people) so I can't fault it.

Maybe it's just due to being used to Stig for years, but the jump segment didn't do it for me. It's obvious that it was made to introduce Top Gear Stuntman, but I just don't really find the character great. I guess I was hoping for more of a "character" - Stig has a mystery around him to add to that sheer dominance on the track. TGS is just a guy in a helmet.

Police cars I found great. Not their best challenge, but let's face it - After so many of them, we've been spoiled. It's pretty much on par with previous ones.

But the one thing that really did spoiled the episode is the same as for others - This week's SIARPC. What the bloody hell were the producers thinking with them two? I know it's a case of different tastes, but christ can I not stand listening to them for more than three minutes without wanting my ears raped by a sandpaper condom (Yahtzee fans arise!). Carr is far over the top to be tolerable (this is coming from a guy who actually likes Jimmy Carr), while Justin Lee Collins is best summed up by Charlie Brooker:

(2:22 - 4:00)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSa3W06gQZk[/YOUTUBE]

All in all, not as good as it could be. But if this episode ends up being the worst in the series, then things could be worse.

- Opening with race/prius v m3 was fun.
- News was okey. They didnt mention the new seats?
- Scuderia review was the worst review I've ever seen on TG. Can't believe that went through...
- Stunt stig was pointless...
- Police cars was fun.

There we are.

I'll put a fiver that that photo that got zoomed away is that one with the bloke in womens underwear with his bits up an exhaust. If you've seen it, you'll know the one I mean*. If not, for the love of God, don't go looking for it.

*It is impossible to forget. Someone needs to invent mind bleach.

My prediction was it was tubgirl, and if you havent seen that, dont go lookin for it either

- Opening with race/prius v m3 was fun.
- News was okey. They didnt mention the new seats?
- Scuderia review was the worst review I've ever seen on TG. Can't believe that went through...
- Stunt stig was pointless...
- Police cars was fun.

There we are.

The worst "review" on Top Gear so far was the segment on the Gallardo Superleggera, GT3 RS and Vantage N24. Actually that entire episode was the worst overall, the guest was not interested in cars at all and was not interesting in any way, the previously mentioned long segment was terrible, and the review of the mid-engined Golf was decent but short. Also that was the first episode of the series (10) and it got much better after that.

It was a bit average right up until the moment the police cars segment started..

I agree. There's definitely room for improvement...

A solid start to the series I felt, although I do share some of the sentiments made by previous posters. The star in a reasonably priced car segment was awful this week, and the introduction of the new stunt character was also very anti climactic, considering they have done stunts with stunt drivers before. The Ferrari review was a typical Clarkson affair, but the police challenge made up for these shortcomings even if it came off as a trifle short with only 3 challenges. Judging from the preview, it looks to be a packed series despite only having 6 episodes :)

Jeremy has a good taste in watches, actually.
He owned an Omega Seamaster Professional, followed by an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean and now he's got an IWC Portugieser watch.
5001_007_l.jpg

Driving the Lambo he had a steel wristband mounted, driving the M3 he had the leather wristband mounted ;) Price is about 6.000 Euros. Nice watch!

i feel like this is more of a season 9 episode than anything else. challenge was wayyyy too long and there just wasnt enough substance

I liked it, I'll agree it was average by TG standards, but thats not really a bad thing. However there are a few things i didn't like at all. I liked the F430 review, but it was extremely flawed in that although Clarkson was telling a tale the editing seemed to have very little to do with what clarkson was on about, he would start talking about the interior and they would cut right to a powerslide, then back to the interior. The editing just seemed very ADD. My 2nd biggest complaint was that although they had a set of wonderful cars for the 1st fuel economy review the whole thing didn't really tell much of a story like the best TopGear segments do, although i am ALL for smaller segments.

On a positive note i think the music selections better then last season. I rated 8/10 because even if it seemed a bit scatter brained it was still better then most TV, so i think a above average rating is just fine.

In summation: Please keep the writing as top-notch as possible (doesn't need to be funny so long as its emotional, heartfelt, interesting etc. I don't think this will become a issue as JC and JM still write topnotch articles every week, just saying its always been the highlight of the show, so PLEASE don't ruin it in post-production.) 2ndly, get the editing to follow the story that the presenters tell (this is usually what concretes the emotional responce that the great writing portrays). Finally, relax and follow your intincts, no need to try and act like people you aren't or try to attract demographics who didn't care for the show before Richards crash.

Personally i still expect great things in this coming season.

Last edited:
One of the things that I didn't get was how Clarkson could find a Fiat Coupe (20v turbo) for only ?900. The cheapest I could find was ?3700 without MOT or tax... Same with how James could find a lexus like that.

Not to double post, or over critique, but sometimes this forum is useless. For example, is this supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing?

The Ferrari review was a typical Clarkson affair,