[11x01] June 22nd, 2008

[11x01] June 22nd, 2008

• Total voters
Did anyone notice that the block they're using as the table has 10 cylinders?
Incorrect, Spectre identified the block as that of a Jaguar(obviously) V12.
Now, where might that have come from? In the "tractors" episode in series 9, we saw the tractors hauling a whole load of old TG project cars; who's to say that James May's mustard-yellow XJ-S that failed to make it to Oxford wasn't recovered and dismantled to make that table? After all, Jezza knows how to do it, after the job he did on his 928...

SIARPC: 2's a company, 3's a crowd. Trinny & Susannah were more entertaining.
Remember also there were Johnny Vaughan and Denise van Outen appearing together as well. JV was such a prick that it ruined the entire segment. Admittedly he's have been unbearable on his own as well, but by my reckoning that's for double-acts 1, against double-acts 2. The judge has spoken!

I'm sorry bit I'm a bit bored with this sort of comments. When will you all accept that in S6/S7 we were spoiled, S8 was ok, S9 was bad, S10 was better and S11 is again a little bit better?
You can't say that it felt too scripted: TG is scripted! That's just TG style, like it or not. Can't you just enjoy the show without hammering on every single detail?
Just be grateful this forum isn't alt.tv.simpsons, where every single episode since the end of 1992 has been the WORST EPISODE EVER. Hopefully it's never going to get that bad round here, and if it does... don't anyone forget that the Simpsons producers wrote the "Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie" episode specifically to hit back at the super"fans" who were the most vociferous critics. Surely Andy Wilman won't get the same idea... will he?

Bit disappointed with the episode. Seems like they are still going in the same direction as the Top Gear Ground Force special. :(

Especially the police-car bit had me wildly laughing ... but the rest was also not bad. The stunt-bits we are going to see in the future are really "classic-TG", but I could live without them, I guess. The guests were terrible ... but at least they had them at once ... not to imagine if those two had been on seperate shows ... :blink:
The Rest was good ... didn?t knock me out of my seat ... but didn?t want me changing the channel neither. The preview at the start made me kind of sceptic though ... not much I really crave in there, unlike the previous series(es?).

7/10 I?d rate it ... the police-car-bit made up for a lot ...

The first 15 mins reminded us what we were missing during the off. Take out the guests and stupid stuntman from this episode and its a 9/10 IMO.

And yes Top Gear IS back !

I rate it as an 8...

The police segment had me in tears - had to watch it again & again & again...

The stars weren't too bad (there's been worse) Supercar fuel saving tips was entertaining as was the Prius V M3. The 430 segment was OK but not brilliant. As others have said the editing was a bit "different" in this episode.

Stunt man? WTF Looked a bit too low rent - Like about Season 5 standard...

Awesome to have TG back! Had about 8 mates turn up tonight to watch it - watched the Botswana special on SBS and then flicked straight onto the new episode!

The Alfa that Jeremy stated several time was a 20v Fiat Coupe Turbo then?

His tagline WAS quite funny, but I found the majority of this one distinctly average, although as a famous man once said, while I may disagree with your opinion, I will fight to the death for your right to express it.

oops :lol:

I meant Fiat, but in my defence I believe there is an Alfa that looks exactly the same or similar.

I nearly died laughing during the cop car segment! And the last challenge where they had to try and catch The Stig nearly killed me... i mean, it's The Stig we're talking about! And after Jezza's wheel came off and the camera switched to The Stig, I could almost hear the stig going "Wait a minute, i thought it was supposed to be my wheel that gets busted, not Jeremy's!"

SIARPC was pretty okay for me. I don't really know who the 2 of them were, but I overall i think it was quite tolerable and entertaining to a certain point. (I LOL-ed pretty loudly when the long-haired guy was singing and then he suddenly went :eek:, and when the other bloke's car didn't move at the start because he forgot about the handbrake.)

Top Gear Stuntman - I'm sorry, but this part was a real no-no for me. Didn't like it at all.

The 5 Supercars race was awesome. Just looking at the 5 cars sitting on the track was good, then they got going (albeit on 1 gallon of fuel only), and it just got better for me.

oh, and one thing i didn't really understand was James' and Richard's reactions when Jezza showed them the bottle of Vaseline. I mean I know vaseline can get quite gross at times, but IMO they seemed somehow... really disgusted (don't know if it's the right word).

But other than that, I think it was a good episode. Can't wait for the next one!

7/10. Ok but not the best.

The SIARPC segment brought this episode down for me. I almost considered a score <5 because of it. Fortunately it ended and the rest was ok.

I also wasn't expecting to actually see the face of the stuntman. I figured they would conceal his identity like they've done with the Stig. Perhaps see him emerge from a coffin full of bubble-wrap...or better yet, exit the caravan before it is promptly destroyed by another caravan landing on it! :)

The police demonstration looked quite good in theory but it didn't seem all that realistic. It felt like they were trying, perhaps a bit too hard, to prove they're not as soft as they're made out to be (when it comes to stopping cars). Informative but a tad dull.

Overall, quite a good episode but I suspect they're lowering our expectations before blowing us out of the water in the coming episodes.

oh, and one thing i didn't really understand was James' and Richard's reactions when Jezza showed them the bottle of Vaseline. I mean I know vaseline can get quite gross at times, but IMO they seemed somehow... really disgusted (don't know if it's the right word).

Well, Vaseline has many uses, in certain cirumstances one might use it as a lubricant of sorts...

I like it. Overall I gave it a 7/10. The stars were the worst I've seen on top gear. The ultimate way I rate an episode of top gear is its "re-watchability" so we'll see how this one holds up in time. That said, I found it really funny, at one point I was laughing so hard it resulted in a coughing attack. :lol:

I was almost on the floor after James used his "paint weapon" on the Stig and then he just flipped on his wipers with the kind of reaction like "did he really think this was going to work?" hahaha

I've been saying this for a few seasons now so for the upcoming series I really hope that they feature some more reviews of normal/average cars. Those bits tend to be the most funny to me. If it's an entertainment show based around cars that's fine, but it doesn't have to be all flash, explosions, and stunts to be entertaining. Some of the best moments in top gear featured reviews/tests/challenges of normal cars.

Last edited:

Vaseline is often used to ...ahem... lubricate certain body parts when needed...

EDIT: By the way, did anyone notice the continuity error during the police cars part? When doing his lap, Hammond lost the thing in the front, but during the last part of the track, and in some of the shots he had it back on. :lol:

That's not the only one; in some shots Topgearstuntman was wearing glove(s ) and in some, he wasn't :p

I think you people are all being abit harsh on the Stars in the reasonably priced car this week.

Lets face it, alot of the people on this forum have not got a clue who they are, but I think Alan and Justin were not the worst stars Top Gear have ever had on by a long shot.

Well, Vaseline has many uses, in certain cirumstances one might use it as a lubricant of sorts...

Vaseline is often used to ...ahem... lubricate certain body parts when needed...

:lol: HAHAHAHA good lord a very sick image just popped into my head!

James and Richard looked almost terrified to be in Jezza's presence with a bottle of Vaseline in hand... :roflmao:

I think you people are all being abit harsh on the Stars in the reasonably priced car this week.

Lets face it, alot of the people on this forum have not got a clue who they are, but I think Alan and Justin were not the worst stars Top Gear have ever had on by a long shot.

It wasn't a case of not knowing who they are - a lot of the 'stars' are unknown to me - it was the fact the segment just fell utterly flat.

exciting, especially the fact that
- theyll apparently go to japan
- sabrine schmidth is gonna be on it again!
- clarkson flying?? did james teach him?

It wasn't a case of not knowing who they are - a lot of the 'stars' are unknown to me - it was the fact the segment just fell utterly flat.

Yes i agree... i didn't know jimmy carr before watching him on top gear... his appearances have been brilliant. I know he's a comedian, bad example maybe, but other guests have also had interesting appearances.

I wont be watching the SIARPC segment of this episode again!

I'm sorry bit I'm a bit bored with this sort of comments. When will you all accept that in S6/S7 we were spoiled, S8 was ok, S9 was bad, S10 was better and S11 is again a little bit better?
You can't say that it felt too scripted: TG is scripted! That's just TG style, like it or not. Can't you just enjoy the show without hammering on every single detail?

TG has been extraordinarily scripted the last series. You know why? The show is becoming more populare with people who arn't into cars.

I just can't accept that anyone who watches this episodes (and is obviously being entertained) can give less than a 7. I mean, come on? What do you want more?

BS.

-JC style review

Haha? That review was overgarnished with stupid and pointless graphics. I also hated the 2.1 or whatever it's called. That shit belongs on teenager TV. The review was no where near as good as reviews in S4/5/6/7.

What on earth were you on when you wrote that. Im sorry but for me the the visuals were absoulute HORRID :?
I like the review and the car but it looks as if the review came out of a ancient movie.

Yup. Looked shit. Trying way too hard.

-funny news

It was funny because they were taking the piss about cars. Where was the actual car news?

hmm, the beginning was ok, the siarpc was crap, the challenge was awsome! 6/10........