[13x05] July 19th, 2009

[13x05] July 19th, 2009

• Total voters
Strange episode - IMHO the best bits were the news and SIARPC...

The best surprise was Sienna Miller - I actually had to look her up on IMDb, I think I've never heard of her outside of Top Gear before. She was brilliant - actually quite a funny guest.
The news were good, and Jeremy's reaction to James' final joke felt totally non-scripted, it cracked me up. Though I did catch the joke faster than Jeremy - I seem to have a really dirty mind... :shifty:

The challenge was quite fun at first, but the ice race was dragging. As was the eternal childish fight Richard vs. Jeremy, to be honest. By the way, I was sort of expecting them to play The Professionals theme on James' entry with the Capri, but that's a tune you simply can't get hold of the rights...

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag review was alright. I just wish they were more creative, it's always the same.. drifting around on an airfield, not much more.

7/10.

did he go for your plums? he actually does that
there's a sense I unlocked a treasure chest of possibilities;
I'm gonna mend lots of things now
I would never have attempted this before but now I can
sound made by Capri smashing the piano =))
of corse it's not bloody normal!
autonomobil: I can tell you like it
Jaguar xj-sexy back;I hope the front's as good
nobody gives a pig's ass
the Honda with the girl's head in the middle: spooky; the kind of thing Norman Bates would use as a daily driver
If you don't stick to 155 I shall... genius
producing artificial sperm for years
Stig's perfect lines with the Jag... nice
green Range Rover
Apollo13 home made filter
you're having a ?crisis?
Hammong bumping James'car... I laugh at that every time...I must be deranged
I can fix this...I can fix anything =))
with my new mending powers
however, at 62...
parking next to a Dacia Logan
the speed James was doing when heading toward the cliff, I thought he wouldn't stop in time
gentleness is the...oh ,shi*!
get off my racing line
actually, it didn't because this is some film from a tourist board
merde du fromage,lesbien hat, tit tree
coq yaourt hahahaha genius
Panis, the designer?
they all do that in Formula1...I'll go right, that'll surprise'em
that penis man, again
the sound made by the competition cars was off the scale! phoa...screamers
I hope you're watching this, wife of the president of...France
the ol' dropping-the-piano-on-the-Morris-Marina trick...classic. too bad it had a roll cage and the roof didn't get flattened
french sister company: piano-avion-malheureuxmo
helicopter news
gentlemen, if I might make a suggestion: RUN!

didn't like:
repeating the James coming on to Hammond scene from the boat vs SLR race
Hammond being so fake on the set; as funny as he is in the films, on the set he tries too hard. FAKE

PS:I hope they fit the new Ge-ghiu-ar XJ with a better gearbox but keep the aluminium construction; the old XJ6 3 liter (175KW, 1608kg, automatic 6, cd=0.32) is .2 of a second slower to 100km/h than the S-Type(1710kg,manual 5,drag coefficient 0.32) fitted with the exact same engine despite it weighing 102kgs less(mass is more of a drag than aerodynamic properties at low speeds and I don?t think XJ has so much surface area over the S that the gap is due to aerodrag).

Last edited:
new idea=new paragraph; it?s elementary !

For someone with such an "expert" grasp on grammar you seem to have completely forgotten about the concept of a complete sentence not to mention the fact that to be a paragraph you must have a beginning, middle, and end. This tends to require a minimum of 3 sentences. Then there are the minuscule bits about proper punctuation and capitalization. So what you did there was throw a bunch of words on a page in random order. That's not elementary; it's childish.

Last edited:
For someone with such an "expert" grasp on grammar you seem to have completely forgotten about the concept of a complete sentence not to mention the fact that to be a paragraph you must have a beginning, middle, and end. This tends to require a minimum of 3 sentences. Then there are the minuscule bits about proper punctuation and capitalization. So what you did there was throw a bunch of words on a page in random order. That's not elementary; it's childish.

1st:
paragraph: A passage in text that is about a different subject from the preceding text, marked by commencing on a new line (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/paragraph)

2nd:
most of what I've written are quotes from the show, and I wasn't interested in the full sentence, just the part I considered funny

3rd: they are not random but chronologically ordered

4th:I shouldn?t have written these explanations for you: if you don?t understand it the first time, it wasn?t meant for you

What a great honkin' episode. This was classic TG through and through, the editors must have heard our misgivings of the past two shows. The best episode of this series, and I would even argue best of the last 2-3 series.

RWD challenge - much better than the last cheap car challenge, plus they actually had some decent cars (Porsche, 300ZX) for a change. And of course loved seeing them destroy another Marina.

XFR - one of the most explosive and heart-pounding segments they've ever done. When they were throwing the 2-ton+ XFR and the M5 around the track, with billows of smoke poring from the tires...enough to give you an aneurysm (j/k). Gotta love a cat with some curves...(plus we learn before the lap that the Stig has been is a sperm donor, does that mean Stig babies? Stiglets?)

SIARPC - admit I knew almost nothing of her except from random celeb gossip shows before, but fortunately turned out to be a very funny and down-to-earth guest. Not bad for the eye-candy either, although I'd wish they'd stop having guests on just to promote their colossally-expensive, more-fake-parts-than-a-beached-blonde Hollywood trash (ie. Marky Mark for Max Payne).

Favorite quotes:

"She's effectively saying: 'You've given me the baby, now get in the back.'"

"We're gonna be killed and eaten...by Morrismen!"

and of course

"Jag..."

vlcsnap-7707242-1431.png

Last edited:
And I wonder, why Hammond doesn't wear the FG helmet?

Hamster has worn the FG helmet on-camera. Twice (10x03 and 10x06). Now he uses it at home. (One of the members reported that he still uses it, and had used it while motorcycling.)

I said earlier, i suspect everything's being tested on the track because it costs more to film on public roads. Shame, but that's recession for ya - another reason to hate the wankers bankers!:rolleyes:
The Jaaag thing is because that's the way a lot of posh or wannabe posh people here in the UK would say it

Mercy buckets! :+1:

And just for the record...if you are caught doing over 100mph in california, they can arrest you on the spot if you were driving wrecklessly, which is at the police's discretion. and if your doing over 100 he can pretty much say you were being wreckless if he wants to.

Solid 8 from me. Loved the challenge and XFR review. I was surprised how good Sienna Miller was, she was funny and down to earth. I just knew there was going to be another 'accident' but it was still funny when it came.

Alesi is Sicilian-born, so... not exactly fully French.

Agree with you, but since he raced supporting France....

That would be the same as ignoring Hakeem Olajuwon (Nigeria-born) or even Patrick Ewing (Jamaica-born) as two of the greatest american basketball centers.

Is anyone else getting sick of a challenge every single week? Hows many car reviews have there been this series? 4 or 5? And James hasn't reviewed a car yet to me recollection.

RWD Challenge: OK. The 944 S2 is a cool car, cool to see. The 300ZX looked really good. It almost looked like a Fezza with those wheels. The fact that James brought a run down 80's Ford tells me they just wanted an excuse to make fun of the Morris Marina again. And what was with having a Bathurst on camera for all of 8 seconds? The ice racing was pretty stupid considering they went up against AWD cars and the purpose of the challenge was to prove that RWD is better than FWD. Of course AWD is better than RWD. We all know that.

News: This was consistently funny, as it has been all season. I like this new story telling thing they've been doing. It gives you a little more insight into the presenters. The speeding ticket was awesome. One thing Jeremy neglected to mention about it though. If you live in California and get a speeding ticket in California, you get points against your state issued license and you will eventually be suspended. The only way to get away with that kind of speed is to do it outside the state you live in and pray they don't report tickets back to your home state. Even if they don't, if you apply for new car insurance, they will do a background check and find abot every ticket you have ever gotten and you won't get insurance.

XFR Review: Good, I liked it alright. How about some more car reviews?

SIARPC: Never knew who Siena Miller was before the show. I heard her named mentioned on the show once or twice. She's nice enough to look at. I won't find out by watching Transformers 2, though. You couldn't pay me enough to watch that pile of garbage.

Range Rover thing: Jeremy did neglect to consider that hot exhaust will eventually dry out and shrivel plants. Of course, you could just buy a diesel and run it on biofuel or wate veggie oil and you wouldn't have to worry about emissions at all.

7/10, and I think that's a bit generous. The train race was awesome, but it gone lobsided since then. I'm starting to miss Series 5-7 again...

Last edited:
Of course, you could just buy a diesel and run it on biofuel or wate veggie oil and you wouldn't have to worry about emissions at all.

Explain this bit to me please. Biodiesel is still diesel and still undergoes a standard combustion reaction with CO2 as a byproduct. You still produce emissions, you just don't consume fossil fuels directly.