[13x06] July 26th, 2009

[13x06] July 26th, 2009

• Total voters
Great ep. Wasn't expecting to see the 370Z at all. Must say that the new Z4 looks pretty ungainly. Maybe I need to see it in person. Wonderful cinematography and driving. News was excellent as well.

Plenty of laughs during the challenge--Richard's partner was hilarious. Loved his snipe remarks about the London taxi or whatever the hell it was. I was hoping someone would buy that purple Triumph Spitfire.

I find it pretty funny that the girls here pretty much have nothing good to say about James' co-driver. Jealous much? Girl was gorgeous and the whole hairspray and acting lost thing was scripted.

Solid 8/10!

Reactions: TC
I find it pretty funny that the girls here pretty much have nothing good to say about James' co-driver. Jealous much?

Duh! Of course we are! The hairspray bit was hilarious though.

Was ready to give a 9 or 10 up until the end of the news. The Z4 review, 1st half of the auction, and the news were great. The co-drivers ruined it imo. I wanted to punch the midget in Hammonds car at the end of the show :mad:

6/10

I know I said I wouldn't download another episode, but I decided to give it another try. Just when I thought Top Gear couldn't get any STUPIDER, they go and do this...

And TOTALLY REDEEM THEMSELVES!! Ok so the first segment was pretty lame with the dinosaurs and it was just badly done in my eyes, but the rest, including SIARPC was great! Loved the little Citroen. 8/10 mainly because of the outright strange first segment.

I did think it was funny that they mentioned the Morris Marina again during the news. It's even more obvious that they're only messing with them for ratings, to make more money, in typical TG sellout style. Shame really.

Yea all the big shows are making fun of Marina's now. It really boosts ratings and the presenters' salaries go through the roof.

great ep, gave it a 9
and James meeting the girl... "hello" :lol:

I really enjoyed all the bits in the show, which is bad, because together they felt rushed somehow. If each of the parts was put on an average episode, it would balance things up. The dinosaurs metaphor was good, SIARPC was obviously good and the challenge was quite original. But the 3 of them together didn't give the overall result it theoretically could, as I said, because I felt it rushed. But all in all, 8/10;

Yea all the big shows are making fun of Marina's now. It really boosts ratings and the presenters' salaries go through the roof.

I sense sarcasm. <_< But anyway, the only reason TopGear is attacking/provoking the Marina boys is because it makes for good TV. They drop another piano on another Marina, *queue audience laughter*, the Marina boys get frustrated, TopGear searches their forums and finds quotes, makes jokes at Marina boys expense next week, and *queue more audience laughter*. The news segment is usually the best part of TopGear, but they keep wasting our time with this nonsense. It's a dead horse, quit beating it. Talk about something original. $10 says they rehash the same damn thing next series too.

Last edited:
i dont understand why people are rating this season so highly, i understand that they have had budget cuts but the writing is lame and some of the stunts feel so forced. lame lame lame!

Reactions: TC
The Z4/370Z review was the high point for me. Thought it was excellent and having the dinosaurs there was just icing on the cake. Note: the dinosaurs came from that "Walking with Dinosaurs" show. If you have a chance to see that, do it! It is something else.

News: We knew that the MMOC was going to get ripped. But that Bruni song was just brilliant. I couldn't believe that they did that. I was not ready for that.

Classic car auction: Those three? At that place? WTF? Hammond brought the best looking car by far (so his idea was fairly sound) and what was Jezza thinking!?

SIARPC: Let's get this out of the way now. I'm young. AC/DC is well before my time. I admire the heck out of them from still being able to perform at their ages. I just wish they wouldn't dress like 12-yr-old schoolboys. (/rant)

But what a lap. Jay Kay, for the second series in a row, probably had himself a bit of a crisis while Jezza read the lap time.

Classic car rally: This ran about 8 minutes too long. I actually got bored by it. Madison Welch was annoying (which those of us talking about her in the NSFW forum pretty much expected). I expected from the start that James would win because he was the only sensible driver of the three and he had a working car. It was an ugly car. I wouldn't buy it even if I had to. But it worked.

With the rally hurting the show pretty badly, I could only give it a 7. 7.5 to be specific. Because the first 3/4 of the show was a perfect 10. The last quarter was just not good.

I believe those dinosaurs officially belong in the uncanny valley... very creepy! They managed to work them in rather nicely though, I thought.

Pretty good episode overall, 8 for me.

Oh, and on another note, they need to be careful with the emotional conclusions at the end of pieces. It didn't seem quite as genuine without some real insight from the presenters, for example when they mixed voiceovers with thoughts from the presenters at the end of 07x03, that made for a beautiful, meaningful conclusion. Putting some emotional music on and doing a (even well thought out) voiceover doesn't always work, sadly. I'm not saying that the guys genuinely didn't love their cars in the end, it's just that it didn't feel quite as genuine as it should have, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
I sense sarcasm. <_< But anyway, the only reason TopGear is attacking/provoking the Marina boys is because it makes for good TV. They drop another piano on another Marina, *queue audience laughter*, the Marina boys get frustrated, TopGear searches their forums and finds quotes, makes jokes at Marina boys expense next week, and *queue more audience laughter*. The news segment is usually the best part of TopGear, but they keep wasting our time with this nonsense. It's a dead horse, quit beating it. Talk about something original. $10 says they rehash the same damn thing next series too.

The only reason Top Gear does anything is because it makes for good TV.

Never have I seen a Citroen Ami done up so incredibly cool.

James May could be almost as cool as this guy:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpq1_AphUSY[/YOUTUBE]