[13x07] August 2nd, 2009

[13x07] August 2nd, 2009

• Total voters
I've rated this 5/10. I was hugely disappointed by this episode. I wanted this to be a truly epic episode to end this season. Unfortunately it wasn't.

The Bathurst review was good, I quite liked that. The Advert segment was good at first, but it just went on and on. It had some very funny 'cocking about' bits in it, but it was just time for another segment in my opinion.
Same really for the Cool Wall, they didn't do that much cars but took their time to do them. Richard using that crane thing was funny, but I thought it took some precious time I which I wanted them to put to better use.
I did enjoy the interview, but mainly because this time it's a guest famous worldwide instead of just in Britain. I did however thought they could have used more time for the interview, certainly because he's such a legend in 'car-world'. They didn't talk that much about Jay's cars :(

Then the biggest letdown, the Aston interview. Lots of beautiful camera shots were included, but the only thing Jeremy managed to tell me is that the car is brilliant but that he fears it's a dying car segment. Hey, I could've thought of that myself!

So there were a few good and funny bits, but overall I thought this was far from what I hoped to be an epic episode.

After watching the Vantage, it almost felt as if they were signing off the series altogether.

It's a worry isn't it, it was quite a distinct film, like a Top Gear version of "fin".

That Vantage section really did feel like the end of TG...

Brilliant however.

The ending was very interesting, makes you think.

When Clarkson says "This feels like an ending". I've got to say it got me thinking what he actually meant. Was it just an ending for this series. Or perhaps the end entirely. Hmmmm

I got that feeling as well. I was half expecting him to announce he was quitting.

That's the exact feeling I got, the music seemed to set the tone for the whole bit, I had goosebumps expecting Jeremy to say 'And on that bombshell, this will be the last episode' or something like that...

God, I hope I'm wrong...

The use of the track "An ending" by Brian Eno was quite clever.

That track makes anything amazing!

Like others have said though, it did make me think that maybe that's it for Top Gear! Though that blog article suggests otherwise!

I have to admit it made me think. I don't believe it signals the end of Top Gear, particularly given Jeremy's comments in his Times Comment colum today about all the stuff they are perparing for TG live.

I do however think it was an incredibly stylish and poignant way to wrap up both a fun/silly episode and the best series in a while. They might not be able to make VW commercials, but they sure as hell know how to make great television.

Last edited:
I would give it 5/10. Bathurst review was ok, the advert part was the best of this episode by far, even if it was a bit longer that it needed to be. It was also good to see the Cool Wall again

I was expecting something else, though. Some deep talk with Leno, since he's got an outstanding car collection, and i was expecting the ZR1 vs R8 V10 review that was on the season preview in 13x01, but nothing

The end with the Aston was weird, great filming and amazing landscapes there, but i was expecting more. I've got mixed feelings about this episode, but it just could've been better......

I can now watch the preview on episode 1. :cool:

EDIT: As someone stated earlier, no ZR1 and no truck racing. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
To me this episode felt enjoyable enough, good in a 'better than average way to waste an hour' way. I liked how they sneaked quite a lot of reviewing into the Scirocco segment even if the ads were in themselves a bit pointless. Jay Leno... legend, but for once I wished the SIARPC could have been a little longer. Really enjoyed the mad Australian cars too. The news was good, the Cool Wall was the Cool Wall, no problems there.

And then came the Aston Martin film.

I still can't decide whether that elevated the episode to something special or whether I need to watch it again so I don't feel like I've been hit by a runaway train before making a more considered judgement, but right now I'm thinking it might well have been the stand-out film of the series. It all seemed so damn final that even though I know work for series 14 is already underway, it felt like it was all a smokescreen and this really was the end.

Still, it's not, so phew.

But what it was was a wonderfully constructed piece of film that didn't need an awful lot saying. We already know how an Aston Martin review goes, so Jeremy didn't need to repeat the same old things all over again - which is fine, because the car was more than capable of speaking for itself. As far as I'm concerned, there is no more beautiful sound in motoring than an Aston Martin, and it's hard for me to think of a more beautiful sight. The V12 Vantage is going to split opinions - as Jezzabelle has already proved, not everyone is going to like it, but I think it is stunning. And the film itself felt like a requiem, not only for V12 powered Astons, but for the love of driving. Some people wanted more films about cars - well, that was probably the most evocative and true piece they could have done. This is a car built for the love of driving, and the world at large says this kind of vehicle has no place. It wasn't about the Aston itself in the end - they could have used a Ferrari or a Lambo, a Mercedes honed by AMG, a Porsche, the list goes on... it wasn't about the car tself, in the end, but what it's really for. The days of the car as a symbol of freedom are gone. The world wants us all in eco-boxes, wedged nose-to-tail with other eco-boxes. There are people who'd rather we took no pleasure from driving at all.

And really, as petrolheads, I think in years to come we'll mourn that more than the loss of Top Gear, when the end eventually comes. I think it brought it home to me in the end that much as I'll be sad when the boys are too old or broken to do it any more, when they can't come up with anything else they want to do, I'll have some great friends I've made through the show, I'll have the shows themselves to watch over again and it will have left a fantastic legacy of entertainment. What I'll never get to enjoy is the freedom of the road in the way my dad had it a generation ago, and the cars designed to make the most of that freedom. That makes me sad.

Last edited:
I don't think it was the last ever Top Gear.

Here's a transcript:

Well it's an Aston Martin Vantage with a V12 engine.. so what do you think it's going to be like?

It is fantastic. It's wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

What it makes me feel though, is sad.

I can't help thinking that thanks to all sorts of things (the environment, the economy, problems in the Middle-East, the relentless war on speed) cars like this will soon be consigned to the history books.

I just have this horrible, dreadful feeling that what I'm driving here is an ending.

Goodnight

To me it seemed that JC was simply highlighting that there are lots of pressures on the car industry to adapt and change. Gas guzzlers are becoming less fashionable, less affordable and less useable. That's not a critique, it just seems to be the way of the world at the moment.

I think it was also a nod at the way that many sports car manufacturers are facing lean times, what with reduced sales thanks to the credit crunch. And that at the same time those same manufacturers are being expected to pay their why by ailing parent companies.

I'm pretty sure JC was not even remotely suggesting Top Gear was over. :)

Last edited:
top gear cannot end now its too bloody good!
and that aston martin film I wanted to cry

To me this episode felt enjoyable enough, good in a 'better than average way to waste an hour' way. I liked how they sneaked quite a lot of reviewing into the Scirocco segment even if the ads were in themselves a bit pointless. Jay Leno... legend, but for once I wished the SIARPC could have been a little longer. Really enjoyed the mad Australian cars too. The news was good, the Cool Wall was the Cool Wall, no problems there.

And then came the Aston Martin film.

I still can't decide whether that elevated the episode to something special or whether I need to watch it again so I don't feel like I've been hit by a runaway train before making a more considered judgement, but right now I'm thinking it might well have been the stand-out film of the series. It all seemed so damn final that even though I know work for series 14 is already underway, it felt like it was all a smokescreen and this really was the end.

Still, it's not, so phew.

But what it was was a wonderfully constructed piece of film that didn't need an awful lot saying. We already know how an Aston Martin review goes, so Jeremy didn't need to repeat the same old things all over again - which is fine, because the car was more than capable of speaking for itself. As far as I'm concerned, there is no more beautiful sound in motoring than an Aston Martin, and it's hard for me to think of a more beautiful sight. The V12 Vantage is going to split opinions - as Jezzabelle has already proved, not everyone is going to like it, but I think it is stunning. And the film itself felt like a requiem, not only for V12 powered Astons, but for the love of driving. Some people wanted more films about cars - well, that was probably the most evocative and true piece they could have done. This is a car built for the love of driving, and the world at large says this kind of vehicle has no place. It wasn't about the Aston itself in the end - they could have used a Ferrari or a Lambo, a Mercedes honed by AMG, a Porsche, the list goes on... it wasn't about the car tself, in the end, but what it's really for. The days of the car as a symbol of freedom are gone. The world wants us all in eco-boxes, wedged nose-to-tail with other eco-boxes. There are people who'd rather we took no pleasure from driving at all.

And really, as petrolheads, I think in years to come we'll mourn that more than the loss of Top Gear, when the end eventually comes. I think it brought it home to me in the end that much as I'll be sad when the boys are too old or broken to do it any more, when they can't come up with anything else they want to do, I'll have some great friends I've made through the show, I'll have the shows themselves to watch over again and it will have left a fantastic legacy of entertainment. What I'll never get to enjoy is the freedom of the road in the way my dad had it a generation ago, and the cars designed to make the most of that freedom. That makes me sad.

really good review, i really understand what you're trying to convey here..

Jeremy driving that wonderful Aston into the sunset did feel like the end, and it would be fitting...but I hope not.

I have to admit it made me think. I don't believe it signals the end of Top Gear, particularly given Jeremy's comments in his Times Comment colum today about all the stuff they are perparing for TG live.

I do however think it was an incredibly stylish and poignant way to wrap up both a fun/silly episode and the best series in a while. They might not be able to make VW commercials, but they sure as hell know how to make great television.

I sure hope not 'cos already bought my TG Live/MPH tix 4 me & 2 mates who are going back to Oz in Nov, & who never got tix to the show recording!
And agree totally with the second point.

PLUS
Another articulate, erudite review from Wyvern, well done

Last edited:
I really wasn't expecting the Vantage film. Every time it panned into the car I looked at the clock, thought "they're out of time, how can they fit a review in?" and then waited for Jeremy to start talking about Powah. But it didn't happen. Very moving film, and I really did think he was going to say it was over.

Great episode though. Enjoyed the advert making, nice to see the cool wall back, Jay was awesome but slower than I expected.

As for the entire series, well there was no Credit Crunch episode, and what happened to the airport vehicle racing? It was in the mag and on the TV adverts, but was cut out? Last minute decision?

As for the entire series, well there was no Credit Crunch episode, and what happened to the airport vehicle racing? It was in the mag and on the TV adverts, but was cut out? Last minute decision?

Possibly part of a special? Dunno though, just speculating.

loved it, but i hated that vauxhall sound, sjeezes!

Loved the killswitch on the vehicle of richard. He stood there waving and helpless.

The end was "beautiful". I loved the scenery, the car, the sound. It was incredible. But i felt sad. It was like a funeral more. Especially when he said.. "goodnight". It was like an ending to the serie. But it was an astonishing piece of filming!

I thought that was great, 10 from me. The car advert bit was great, so many crap adverts these days.

Aston film... just great, think I might head toward yorkshire and the lakes soon.

Loved the killswitch on the vehicle of richard. He stood there waving and helpless.

I think Clarkson was enjoying doing that just as much as he showed, no need to act there. :D

- First of all, that last film wasn't the end of Top Gear. It was the end - or a message that we are near to it - of the ultrafast, ultraexpensive exotic cars. We've known this for a long time.

- Scirocco commerical thing was very entertaining. Lots of laughs. I think I liked Jeremy's first one the most! :D

- I'd rather work harder and have an M3 instead of using 45k GBP on an Australian pimpmobile.

- News had some cars in it - hurray!

- Fantastic to see Jay on the show as a guest. His story with the F1 was both scary and funny at the same time.

Good episode.

The V12 Vantage film is weird. Almost as if it's the end. Beautifully shot though.
Hilarious, though, all the way through.
Pie. Key.

That's what I thought, and who wouldn't buy a Sirocco when the guy shoots himself in the ad :lol:, bet there's a few complaints about that...

I was thinking that too. When I looked at the TV Guide and saw that it was the last in the series, I thought it was a misprint or something because they'd missed it out.