[14x01] November 15th, 2009

[14x01] November 15th, 2009

• Total voters

Uau. I think this is a mistake (what the romanian ambassador is asking). There is no way Clarkson will apologize. Worse, I expect more jokes on this subject...

I repeat myself: It didn't bothered me. It was not an accurate description of Romania, but I wont ever understand the desire for westerners to seek out the dirt. And yes, overall Romania got a good advertisement, especially with the transfagarasan part of the show.
Anyway, clarkson can say whatever he wants about romania if his conclusion is "can we stay... forever..." ... :cool:

I cannot even explain the sensations that I am living when I am inches from the side of the road , the car is sliding and the smoke from the tires inhales you.

In Soviet Romania tire smoke inhales you?

In Soviet Romania tire smoke inhales you?

Soviet Romania? :lol: We are more free than any nation in the EU.

as for the smoke... when you can make a rwd car generate smoke in a corner we shall talk. Also , when you realize a power slide on THAT road I will acknowledge you as a driver.

PS: I really hope that I am talking with a DRIVER who is capable of using a manual gearbox. At least give me that.

Yeah, right

yeah , right , excuse me for not having a video camera every where I go that records everything I do. Also excuse me for not paying a congestion charge or excuse me for not having bus lane that clogs up the traffic like in England.

Also excuse me for driving on the correct side of the road , you know , like civilized countries. Also excuse me for the low driving tickets in case of an offence. Here also I would also like to point out that after 1990 russians come here, in Romania with a VISA , you know , the same kind that you need to go to the US.

Soviet Romania? SHAME , you have no idea what you are talking about.

yeah , right , excuse me for not having a video camera every where I go that records everything I do. Also excuse me for not paying a congestion charge or excuse me for not having bus lane that clogs up the traffic like in England.

Also excuse me for driving on the correct side of the road , you know , like civilized countries. Also excuse me for the low driving tickets in case of an offence. Here also I would also like to point out that after 1990 russians come here, in Romania with a VISA , you know , the same kind that you need to go to the US.

Soviet Romania? SHAME , you have no idea what you are talking about.

1. He's German.
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakov_Smirnoff#Russian_reversal

Learn to take a joke.

that is not a joke. Romania does not want to be assimilated with those communists. The fact that in this episode they have presented a test drive for the dacia sandero on the tv in that pub is FALSE. NEVER has a russian tv show aired in Romania. That was intentional and caused a lot of anger in Romania because IS NOT TRUE. I believe that they came to Romania thinking that we have never seen a color tv but that was an official offense. SHAME for that.

The surprise landed on them , we are not that primitive as they thought. The top gear show was only 5 miles away from my city but decided to take the Transfagarasan higway starting somewhere else. I would really have liked it if they would come to my small city... Imagine a 150000 population with a car park consisting in over 30% BMW , 20% Mercedes and 25% Audi , all of which are premium brands. Also take into consideration the 5% exotic cars. Please tell me a city in the EU with the same care park then talk offensive to the romanians

Relax guys!
@citoplasma
Polly was only making a joke regarding your rather interesting word order... key words:
the car is sliding and the smoke from the tires inhales you.
Anyway if you haven't heard yet about the "In soviet Russia" jokes here are quite a few examples where you can see the resemblance http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.122587

Regarding the episode, I have to admit its the first one I see from TG. I was mainly interested to see their opinion about Romania but I really enjoyed the episode, the hosts are really funny and good entertainers, I almost forgot that its a tv show about cars. I'll most likely keep watching the new episodes.

I have to say the parts pointed out in the article I didn't enjoy either, probably because communism and Borat are not the things Romanians like to be remembered with. Also regarding the complains about the numerous gypsies shown in the episode, because of the "good" impression gypsies made since the join in the EU, Romanians don't like to be associated with gypsy people...

Also for those who want to see more of Romania, HeidiL made a new thread in the Off-topic section, there are some great photos there...

Last edited:
that is not a joke. Romania does not want to be assimilated with those communists. The fact that in this episode they have presented a test drive for the dacia sandero on the tv in that pub is FALSE. NEVER has a russian tv show aired in Romania. That was intentional and caused a lot of anger in Romania because IS NOT TRUE. I believe that they came to Romania thinking that we have never seen a color tv but that was an official offense. SHAME for that.

The surprise landed on them , we are not that primitive as they thought. The top gear show was only 5 miles away from my city but decided to take the Transfagarasan higway starting somewhere else. I would really have liked it if they would come to my small city... Imagine a 150000 population with a car park consisting in over 30% BMW , 20% Mercedes and 25% Audi , all of which are premium brands. Also take into consideration the 5% exotic cars. Please tell me a city in the EU with the same care park then talk offensive to the romanians

I don't like either to see people mocking Romania but I don't think its fair to argue with the people on this forum especially since I didn't hear one of them claiming that Romania is a primitive country. And if there are any, I can only laugh at their lack of knowledge... And please don't be such a show off, I don't know if what you said is true or not but trying to prove a point by saying that Romania has the best/most expensive cars in Europe its not a good idea. :D People will not take your seriously...

Relax guys!
@citoplasma
Polly was only making a joke regarding your rather interesting word order... key words:

Anyway if you haven't heard yet about the "In soviet Russia" jokes here are quite a few examples where you can see the resemblance http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.122587

Regarding the episode, I have to admit its the first one I see from TG. I was mainly interested to see their opinion about Romania but I really enjoyed the episode, the hosts are really funny and good entertainers, I almost forgot that its a tv show about cars. I'll most likely keep watching the new episodes.

I have to say the parts pointed out in the article I didn't enjoy either, probably because communism and Boran are not the things Romanians like to be remembered with. Also regarding the complains about the numerous gypsies shown in the episode, because of the "good" impression gypsies made since the join in the EU, Romanians don't like to be associated with gypsy people...

Also for those who want to see more of Romania, HeidiL made a new thread in the Off-topic section, there are some great photos there...

Regarding the episode , 90% of what they have showed is in fact TRUE. I am not trying to send you a different image that the real one. But is FALSE the part with the russian tv show presented in that pub. IS FALSE and I do not care how funny or not it is. Also with the gypsies who are 1 million from a 22 million population. I like funny but do not make a mockery based on FALSE things. PS: also those people were just building a house or a shed and that women was holding a walking stick in her hand. I liked the episode , it put that road on the map for the whole Europe but I do not like the FALSE denigration of ANY country especially when it comes to communist claims.

As for my expression I must say that I used a metaphor , something that the german user might not get as they never use such things.
PS: and yes the smoke consumes you if you power slide the car on that road. Unfortunately the road is closely watched by police due to the high accident probability. That road is also available only in the summer because in the other 3 seasons is full with snow , sometimes over 2 meters high. BUT once you get on that road it is true driving pleasure. I must mention that you need the right car. First time I was there I used a Audi a6 diesel which I must compare it to a broken down old tractor used in agriculture. I have learned my lesson and NEVER will I buy a filthy diesel car in my life. After selling that garbage I bought myself a second hand Opel Omega 3.0 liter V6 using PETROL , rear wheel drive and MANUAL gearbox. If you have these ingredients that road will be one of the best driving experience ever. If you drive a diesel , a FWD car or an automatic gearbox do not even bother , it will mean nothing.

blablabla

Ok first of all, as others pointed out, I'm German.
And as a German, let me tell you: You have to be able to take a stereotypical joke if you want to be able to enjoy Top Gear.

Also, I do not need a Visa to go to the US, I don't think Britains do.
How about you?

Edit: one more thing, the metaphor you've been talking about: don't confuse figure of speech with false grammar.

Last edited:
Finally saw it. The start of it seemed a bit forced, but it ended up as really enjoyable. I especially liked the helicopter footage at the end.

8/10

Regarding the episode , 90% of what they have showed is in fact TRUE. I am not trying to send you a different image that the real one. But is FALSE the part with the russian tv show presented in that pub. IS FALSE and I do not care how funny or not it is. Also with the gypsies who are 1 million from a 22 million population. I like funny but do not make a mockery based on FALSE things. PS: also those people were just building a house or a shed and that women was holding a walking stick in her hand. I liked the episode , it put that road on the map for the whole Europe but I do not like the FALSE denigration of ANY country especially when it comes to communist claims.

Dude, it's not like everything else ever said on Top Gear was 100% serious, true and a factual representation of reality. They did the same in the USA, Africa, Italy, various parts of the UK... hell, basically everywhere they have been. It isn't new or specific to Romania.
So if you do watch TG regularily, this should neither surprise you, nor offend you, because it's always been there.
If you normally don't watch TG and were so badly offended by this.. well, the show's clearly not to your taste.

As for my expression I must say that I used a metaphor , something that the german user might not get as they never use such things.

You sure have quite a stick up your arse, don't you?
(Oh no, look! A metaphor, from a German!)

8/10 for the beautifully filmed road-trip, reduced to a 6 for the pointless review of limited appeal, ridiculously expensive, plutocrat taxis. A few minutes out of the film and more chopped from that review and they could have squeezed in something interesting.

Hey..........the plutocrat taxi review was funny.

Overall I thought the episode was very entertaining. A great way to escape into the world of cars I can't afford for an hour.

I just wish they could have showed more footage of them driving that beautiful road at the end.

Nice episode :) but I don't agree ..the best road is Stevio... Dacia Sandero was great. James like Sandero more than a Lamborghini:lol:

good episode!
i love these limousines bmw and merc... although dont know why didnt they featured s65 amg instead of "just" 63 :lol:
could have also dropped the audi a8 6.0 l :D

good episode!
i love these limousines bmw and merc... although dont know why didnt they featured s65 amg instead of "just" 63 :lol:
could have also dropped the audi a8 6.0 l :D