[14x04] December 6th, 2009

[14x04] December 6th, 2009

• Total voters
^errr.....

Anyway, 8/10 it was great fun, I'm not gonna gush on this one though. And it was physically painful watching that twingo get beaten up. I lol'd at the Village people. You know what, upon reflecting, i think I'll give it a 9

Last edited:
I was hoping for Quincy Jones "The Self-Preservation Society" to play during the tunnel scene, alas oh well again.
Oh god! You and me both. And I had such high hopes!!

The thing I didn't care for ...
Airport race - Should've been called bus race v.2.0. Bit pointless if you ask me.

Things that made me go meh ...
SIARPC - not bad but not great either.
News - seemed rather short to me, and bland if I'm honest.
SUV reviews - average, as these things go.

What I liked ...
The Overfinch - sweet mother of pearl! I could watch that over and over.
Twingo - yes, I know it's the Fiesta all over again but seeing it up on that crane was a riot!

Voted a 7.

I shall want to watch it again in HD before I cast the vote. On a first watch, I found it more enjoyable than the first three, but I'm not sure if I will feel the same after a second watch. Right now I am leaning towards a 7 - at best, it will receive an 8.

Jesus, what a bunch of sad-sacks... I must be the only person here who's gotten laid recently or something, because I thought it was a really good episode. Yes, OK, it was one of those OMG-epic-can't-believe-they-drove-across-Africa-nursing-a-tingling-sensation-near-my-prostrate-but-not-actually-my-prostrate type of episodes, but still fucking good anyway.

Airport machinery racing was random but full of some hairy driving. Pointless - but in a good, entertaining way.

News was great... more dick jokes and a special appearance by the Village People. Sweet. Still no mention of Saab's woes though... a little 'real' automotive industry news wouldn't hurt.

Insanely dumb SUVs... good without being great. Jezza is one-eyed about about Range Rovers but at least he admits it. And he's right about the diesels... why no one makes mid-large turbo-6 cylinder diesels for 4WDs - like the old 4.2L TD that's powered many a Landcruiser - any more is inexcusable. 3L ones are too small and weak, and twin-turbo V8-V10-V12 boat engine'd ones sound fantastic but they're too heavy and complicated and thirsty.

That said... the custom Rangie... mmmmm! I wonder if those folk do drawer system installs in other 4WDs? I'm not really into guns much, but I'd love a top-shelf booze drawer that never runs out! :-D Clearly some people do have too much money, but as long as they spend it on classy stuff like this, I'm fine with it.

Twingo review... was really fucking good. Ok, not as OMGWTF as the Fiesta review... for crying out loud, that had race in a shopping centre, we were all a bit OMGWTF'd by that... but still really, really good and smart too... it was, after all, about as close a real, no-nonsense car review as you're gonna get on Top Gear... think about it, bashing the fuck out of the car actually made sense (in a way)... it is a hatch, it will get used in the city and be banged into stuff, and look, it's cheap to repair. Hate to say it, but that's good consumer advice, presented in an interesting and entertaining.

If you'd prefer to have facts presented to you dryly by a woman with unfashionably large framed glasses wearing an awkward handknitted cardigan, like the last time I saw a Twingo reviewed on Top Gear, I suggest you download some of the original series epsiodes from the late 80s and early 90s. Me? I'm childish and have a short attention span, so I like loop-de-loops (which looks real... no CGI... see how the car barely makes it around) in sewerage drains while being told how many Ross Kemps can fit in the boot.

Only real downer - no James :-(

9/10.

Jesus, what a bunch of sad-sacks... I must be the only person here who's gotten laid recently or something, because I thought it was a really good episode. Yes, OK, it was one of those OMG-epic-can't-believe-they-drove-across-Africa-nursing-a-tingling-sensation-near-my-prostrate-but-not-actually-my-prostrate type of episodes, but still fucking good anyway.

QFT!!!!

WTF is wrong with all you gloomy people? I don't think I have ever laughed so much during a Top Gear episode, ever!

The airport vehicles segment was pretty much a rehashed version of the buses/people carriers/mobile homes races, but I think it was the best one yet and it was really good and funny.

The news was also good, as it always was.

The hot-SUV segment was much better than I expected, with huge laughs when Jezza was trying to run over the camera crew with the Range Rover! :lmao:

The show went slightly down hill once "Mr. Madonna" came on and bored me to death.

The final Twingo film was just epic and fill of laughs (Ross Kemp especially, and the final jump on the boat) :rofl:

Not a 10 (mainly because of the guest), but a solid 9.4/10.

For all you people crying about how "Top Gear isn't good anymore", please GTFO and go watch Fifth Gear reruns.

I admit, if you expect consumer advise and boring reviews from a car show, TG isn't for you. It has become an "entertainment show that features cars", and I was thoroughly entertained by this episode, so they're doing it right.

:D

Last edited:
Felt old. I enjoyed it, and props to Renault for letting a Twingo get so thoroughly destroyed, but it had lots of old jokes and bits and really didn't do much fresh and exciting. It's like going to watch a good cover band, worth watching, but they're just playing the same songs.

7/10

So, when Top Gear does cocking about, you guys are not happy. When they finally do something more classic on the track (big pointless 4x4), you're not happy. And when they try to do something a bit different (albeit essentially similar as the Fiesta's film), you're not happy either... What do you want?

Me, I enjoyed it very much. Some funny nonsense at the beginning in the form of the Airport trucks race, nice news (albeit with too much english references I didn't entirely got), some classic action on the track and in the end a pretty good film of an affordable hot-hatch. What's not to like?

I guess if I had to be stuck with 2 minivans and a C-segment, I'd be pretty easily impressed too...

:rolleyes:

I have a Jag, and I enjoyed this episode. Take your personal attacks and shove them.

I was ROFLing throughout this entire episode. Every time they get the touring car drivers back, the results are utterly hilarious. Great news, great review of the SUV, including the studio bit, guest got a bit overwhelmed by JC but got some nice sound bites nevertheless, and the Twingo bit wasn't quite the hit the Fiesta one was, but it had some nice bits. I'd easily give this something more than 8.

I guess if I had to be stuck with 2 minivans and a C-segment, I'd be pretty easily impressed too...

You're far too depressed to be a Saab owner...

On more important matters... I looked up that Holland and Holland Overfinch Land Rover, and was disgusted to discover that I'd have to dress like this:

toffs.jpg

Regardless, I still want one! (or failing that, a bottomless liquor drawer in the back of the 300GD :-D )

You're far too depressed to be a Saab owner...

On more important matters... I looked up that Holland and Holland Overfinch Land Rover, and was disgusted to discover that I'd have to dress like this:

toffs.jpg

Regardless, I still want one! (or failing that, a bottomless liquor drawer in the back of the 300GD :-D )

If you drink enough, that starts to be a good look. :D

With all the cynical views around here, sometimes I think I'm watching a different show from everyone else! You're entitled to your opinion of course, and I defend your right to have it - but I think it's daft to be so critical! This episode made me laugh, and though it is a mid-season episode, I thought the pacing was taut and the segments all were beautiful. They may not be as memorable as certain episodes - but when has every episode in a series been memorable? I may not have been a fan as long as most people here, but jeeze. What is this show supposed to be, if it's not what it currently is?

And for those who are sad it's "not a car show anymore" - what did you think you were watching for the last, oh, eight series or so? Because the way the show is now is not new. I just enjoy this show for what it is, and it makes me happy.

Last edited:
that was the best this series by a long shot. (still not old top gear, but a step in the right direction)

the airport racing, pointless, as well as useless.... but at least it was more entertaining then the first half of the Geoff video before it became the eagle thrust something or other.

SIARPC... ummmm i don't think he actually got interviewed.... i think he just sat there while Jezza gushed and rambled about unimportant stuff. so as a result of the star not getting interviewed at all.... -1 point

News... that was the closest thing to automotive news we've had in a while...

the SUVs were crazy, yet unnecessary, and i think the review would have been better if it featured the other SUV it seemed to be missing. Why review powerfull SUVs if you aren't going to include the Cayenne turbo? so minus 1 point for forgetting other cars in the same segment....

as for the Twingo, it was the right length, it (in my opinion) blended more smoothly together then the Fiesta segment a while back... going from a shopping mall to a beach with soldiers....
i thought the car was fairly thoroughly gone over... and it stood up well to the shit kicking it took. I was very impressed.

I'm thinking 7-8, will vote after i watch high definition.

and cheer up everyone.... yes, december is a stressful month, but it cant bet that bad that you have to take your frustrations out on a television show. (granted there have been shit episodes lately.)

P.S. I'm suprised they didn't blow up the fuel truck in the airport film....

Last edited:
At least I am focused about the show and my opinion of its future.

Yes, and this makes your opinions more valid, no doubt. :rolleyes: Some of us just like the show and have a good time with it. If you take it that seriously though, do knock yourself out! :lol:

All i know is that all of us except for 1 are focused on talking about tonights episode, rather then insulting people for having a minivan or trying to convince everyone in the world that the show is dying. things maybe better left for another thread that's on topic. But seeing as this thread is about episode specifics.... let's focus on the episode rather then your sour mood and trying to insult others for no reason at all.

This forum is more entertainment than the show tonight... No guts to post your comments publicly? C'mon guys... this is an open opinion forum. If you don't want to be a part of opinion sharing, then don't come to the forum. You sign up for being exposed to both positive and negative views by being a member... In the traditional Clarksonian way, it wouldn't be any fun if all we did was smear sugary syrupy compliments across the boards about every show each week... go read some of Clarkson's own newspaper columns and see how critical he is about some of the most senseless of topics. At least I am focused about the show and my opinion of its future.

Screenshot2009-12-06at115822PM.jpg

Oh great, a 9 posts, 3 red blobber is telling everyone how things should be. Just when you think you have heard it all, you hear something else.

Gave it an 8, but feeling I was generous with that number. Not that it was a bad episode, it just wasn't that exciting or overly interesting. Hard to get excited when they're comparing SUVs. The nifty dual-image screen thing was the most exciting part of that comparison.

The Renault "road test" was amusing. The airport race felt like they weren't even trying. Ruins the fun of it when the guy in the catering truck obvious takes a few wiggles/tries to roll it instead of even trying to make it look like an accident.

Last edited:
why is a diesel V12 only making 738 ft/lbs of torque? Audi, you're smarter then that.... you can get that out of a V6 or V8 turbo deisel.... com'mon....

7 or 8. Still deciding, but probably an 8. I don't see why you guys are hating on it so much.

This forum is more entertainment than the show tonight... No guts to post your comments publicly? C'mon guys... this is an open opinion forum. If you don't want to be a part of opinion sharing, then don't come to the forum. You sign up for being exposed to both positive and negative views by being a member... In the traditional Clarksonian way, it wouldn't be any fun if all we did was smear sugary syrupy compliments across the boards about every show each week... go read some of Clarkson's own newspaper columns and see how critical he is about some of the most senseless of topics. At least I am focused about the show and my opinion of its future.

Screenshot2009-12-06at115822PM.jpg
Since you brought it into the open - and I signed it because I'm in no way ashamed of giving you some rightly deserved neg rep - here's what I think of you.

You are a tosser, as said previously. You make stupid posts. You make personal insults. You are the kind of person who signs up to a forum just to make whiny comments. You are new but think it's okay to insult people for no apparent reason. You cannot take criticism. Instead of taking a hint from the negrep, you simply got more childish. You have an inflated sense of self importance. You think that having a total of 10 posts to your name and nothing but negrep somehow makes you able to criticize other people. You use the words "come on guys this is an open opinion forum" when you've been here under a month, and have only made little whiny bitch posts in that time. You don't know what Sodium Pentothol is used for. You diss the transport of others without giving any indication of what you drive.

I, and many others, like this board because it's relatively free of immature little tosspots and people can have civilized discussion. I'll admit that I get a bit testy with people who sign up solely to make a pointless negative post. This is because the people who seek out a forum in order to complain are generally the lowest form of existence, which you haven't exactly disproven.

In short, shut the fuck up. I thought it was civilized to register my displeasure through a negrep, and not sidetrack the ongoing discussion with talk of how much of an idiot you're being. As you don't want me to do that, I'll lay it all out in the open, you are everything wrong with discourse on the internet.

why is a diesel V12 only making 738 ft/lbs of torque? Audi, you're smarter then that.... you can get that out of a V6 or V8 turbo deisel.... com'mon....

Yes, they can get well over 1,000 "torques" out of a V12 diesel.
The problem is likely building drivetrains that can withstand the torture for long enough to get out of the warrentee period.......