• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Discuss the episode.

G-g-g-great episode!

I thought it was quite decent, really. The airport racing was decently funny, but a bit over done. The Renault review was... well, it paled in comparison to the Fiesta review, but still easily watchable. Over all, a decent episode, if not one of the best.

That Twingo film was confused. It couldn't decide whether it wanted to be another Fiesta review or as Richard put it a "bad acid trip".

Anyways, I'm high on shoe polish right now so I'll voice my opinions later.

I enjoyed it. I'd give it an 8/10.

Airport vehicle racing was amusing and just the right length. News was a bit so-so. Ludicrous SUV film was fun; Guy Ritchie was a good guest. I wanted to see him break 4 cars though, not just hear about it.

And the Twingo film was excellent. I like the way they hired a helicopter for overhead shots then barely used any of the footage.

Dont know if I am just tired or it cant compare to episode 2 but this episode (4) and last week I found a good chunk boring.

Tonight I liked the underside down car in the tunnel, the dual screen was impressive and had its few good moments here and there.

The SIARPC was boring. Didnt seem to spend long talking to him - which is good - but showed he maybe didnt have much to say (and was just there to promote his (no doubt rubbish) movie).

My lowest ever rating for TG - perhaps I am in a bad mood, but something was amiss somewhere. I can not put my finger on it.

EDIT/
One bit I did like was the bit when the Village People turned up - now I did chuckle at that.

Last edited:
^Same here. I Can't make up my mind on this episode, airport racing was good, x5m/q7/rr was good but not as good as I thought it could have been, same for the twingo test too. The bit in the sewer was very good (I'd love to see the rest of the footage from that because there's no way that car was driveable after that). Looses points though firstly for the crashing and secondly for throwing it in the sea. Overall, an odd episode, it didn't seem to flow very well.

Last edited:
Meh... Airport bit was meh, SUV part was boring, SIARPC was decent, twingo bit was meh.

It's coming to a point where I get the feeling that we don't need Clarkson anymore because his ideas and way of doing things is starting to become stale and very boring. I'd much rather had James' space program last longer instead of TG this week, THAT was quality TV.

Happy.

By losing the two-part film this week, the issue I've been having with the balance of the edit went away. Lots of car content, cocking about kept in context, the airport film was actually better than I thought it would be and even though the Twingo review wasn't quite as good as the Fiesta review last year, it was a car being tested off the track, but kept entertaining. I'd rather have the Abarth 500, but I'd happily have the Twingo while I was waiting for it (saw my first Abarth 500 Esse Esse 'in the wild' yesterday, so they're at the forefront of my mind at the moment) though to be honest, if I was going to have anything from tonight's show it would have been the Overfinch Holland & Holland Range Rover because I do actually have a use for it (going shooting when I visit my family in Devon). But I'd need to win the lottery first.

Anyway, I digress. The TG website will doubtless be a mass of depressing arguments again because some people are never satisfied. For me, I've been avoiding spoilers for the last couple of episodes and I've enjoyed them far more for not debating the episodes to death before they've even aired.

I'd much rather had James' space program last longer instead of TG this week, THAT was quality TV.

I couldn't watch that because someone else wanted to watch The X (OMG I CANT BELIEEEVE DANYL HAS GONE!!) Factor. Luckily though, I've seen it before, and yes, it is quality. (I still have it saved on the sky+)

How splendid. Great seeing familiar surroundings on the Twingo review. I thought they were going to show the Twingo being lifted off the Samson crane. Ah well. I liked it, apart from the grangarene part. First thing I thought was, is it some sort of crack about his sailing experience with fellow Northern Ireland/Scotland passengers? Luckily no more than that. :p I was hoping for Quincy Jones "The Self-Preservation Society" to play during the tunnel scene, alas oh well again. Poor man in boot Ross Kemp. :'( lol

"Is the Twingo green? No. It's red."

Airport vehicle race was great. Good job it wasn't dropped entirely. It was fun to watch. More fun than any of the other 'Touring Car drivers races' Top Gear showed. Who was driving the catering lorry? Did he not think about putting that thing down AFTER jetissong the food? Typical.

As I'm a local from NI I'm perhaps a bit biased so I give it a 9/10.

Meh... Airport bit was meh, SUV part was boring, SIARPC was decent, twingo bit was meh.

It's coming to a point where I get the feeling that we don't need Clarkson anymore because his ideas and way of doing things is starting to become stale and very boring. I'd much rather had James' space program last longer instead of TG this week, THAT was quality TV.

Shit dude! I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling it but you came right out and said it.

I had exactly those feelings after tonight's episode. Why he had to make a "window licking" joke in his 4x4 intro I don't know. It would have been far funnier to say something like "If you're the kind of person who wakes up in the morning and decides to amputate and roast your own feet....." or something similarly original but instead we get something lame that is designed merely to get the show and his name in the papers the following week.

Anyway to summarise:

Airport racing - better than I expected it to be since it was a leftover but the whole "Touring Car Drivers trashing another form of transport" is getting really lame.

News - is it ever going to be funny ever again?

4x4's - dull, pointless, and several minutes of my life I will never get back.

Guy Ritchie - no wonder Madge divorced him. What a dull bastard.

Twingo - essentially a rehash of the Fiesta thing and the only thing that prevented this episode scoring a 1.

Actually quite glad they aren't on next week then the memory of tonight has a chance to fade before 14x05 which I may then be able to sit down and watch with some enthusiasm.

I enjoyed this ep, gave it an 8.
Airport Racing: Bit of mindless fun, did lol when all the catering trolleys fell out - best thing that can happen to airline food really!
News: Village People FTW. And Jeremy's comments "If you say Morrisons I'm going to stab you in the heart" and "I've got a vision of James May smearing himself in marmalade" And we're back to the cock jokes: "Rodger Todger" did make me giggle though.
The X5/Q12/RR review: Enjoyed this, the odd camera shots annoyed me a bit until the Range Rover's cameras came up in it then the penny dropped, it was being shot from the RR's POV! ;)
I want one of those RR "split screens" in my next car, it's awesome. The Overfinch version - WTF?? It's obviously designed for Hooray Henrys with waaay too much money and time on their hands. Or people from Cheshire. Or, as Jeremy said, drunks :D
It was nice to have a couple of shots of Guy Ritchie's practice laps included in the programme, for our overseas viewers that can't watch the outtakes. And no I'm actually not being sarcastic, they're (mostly) quite nice people :) More plugging of course, and won't be rushing to watch that movie. A cocaine addict playing a cocaine addict - what a stretch for Rob Jr...
The Renault review: We know this was filmed before the football debacle, but it's still ironic! I'm not convinced that was Jezza doing the loop-the-loop though. And while it was amusing when Ross Kemp first appeared, it required an impossibly big suspension of disbelief to imagine he was in there during all those biffs!
Overall not a bad effort. Although as Smoke said not enough James!

Last edited:
I found the airport bit VERY boring. I just couldnt wait for it to end and the rest of the show to continue... I found the news to be quite amusing and also some bits of the Twingo segment..
I have been a TG fan ever since it began in early 2000s... I think this season had the least interesting content. I'm still a huge fan, its just that this season was not the best I guess.

Does anyone remember how ingenious/hilarious the Porsche CarreraGT review was, for example?

I was rewatching the Pennine Sands ep today - so much better!

I enjoyed watching the Renault launch into Belfast Lough. Also weird seeing the Stena ferry leave on time.......

Airport racing was pretty boring

News is shite

Guy Ritchie; big fan of his films but he's a dour faced thing.

RR Mental Gun Edition: Do want

I don't really know what mineworksfine was watching...

Anyway:

Airport racing: Done before, but still hilarious enough.

News: I enjoyed the news this week, especially the audience! And Jeremy's Morrisons reference.

SUV review: Bit dull to start, but the Land Rover cameras were cool. I want that Overfinch though!

Guy Ritchie: Was OK, a fairly average SIARPC

Renault: I enjoyed this bit. Ross Kemp popping up was hilarious, and the tunnel thing was pretty cool (even if it wasn't Jezza driving). Also, Jeremy's in-depth analysis of the car's green potential!

Overall a great episode, preferred it to last weeks. Also, Top Gear is best watched with friends!