Votes: 18 4.7%

Votes: 11 2.9%

Votes: 5 1.3%

Votes: 3 0.8%

Votes: 1 0.3%

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
To quote Andy Wilman himself at the end of the last series:

Personally, for example, I do believe we?ve now got the presenters playing to their TV cartoon characters a bit too much ? Jezza the walking nuclear bomb, Richard the daft Norman Wisdom, and James the bumbling professor. I like those characters, but I too would like to see more of them as they were in Bonneville, or in Botswana or in the US Special. I miss the three mates who mooch along ... I know James definitely feels that way.
So, uh, how bout you listen to yourself there? Though in their defense there has been much less of it this season. The wedding scene just brought back bad memories for me.

IDK maybe I've learned to shut my brain off (much like what I do during Manswers) during the heavily scripted bits such as the last 15 minutes but it seems different from last season. It's actually funny. Yes its just as scripted as before but it seems to work. It's not forced nor is it the bulk of the humor or entertainment value.

To quote Andy Wilman himself at the end of the last series:

So, uh, how bout you listen to yourself there? Though in their defense there has been much less of it this season. The wedding scene just brought back bad memories for me.

THIS. What he (and Andy once) said.

The only thing I can think of is that the number of us that this bothers is statistically less than the number of fanboys/girls who adore the "characters", and this number is somehow known to Wilman & Co., so they've kept up the ?ber-cocking about in character.

One should always play up to the audience, NOT down; you may occasionally lose a few whilst you do it, but the end product is superior. No?

And, for the third ep in a row, we have underscored for us just how hard it is to please everyone, judging by the number of 9/10s and 10/10s, as well as those for whom the last 1/4 of the show pretty well completely ruined the ep.

Christ alive, I do love shows that provoke so much varied thought/emotion/defending/justifying/ripping apart/praise from passionate viewers...

Last edited:
Oh come on.. 15 minutes of film cant ruin a good episode. You're all telling me you didnt love the guys ruining several hundred pounds worth of rubber by powersliding those expensive cars?
Yeah so James gets lost. I definitely think he does get lost in real life too and satnav is his best friend...
I'm not saying it was frikken 'African-special epic', but it wasn't that bad either. Certainly not as bad as to make you say "this episode sucked cos of that bit", it's like saying your whole vacation sucked cos you had 1 day of bad weather.
People they will never be able to please everyone. So if you're a petrol head and enjoy the petrolhead bits, remember there's a casual watcher out there that doesnt understand jack about low pressure turbos and is getting bored at the moment, and when a segment comes on which feels like series 5 to you and is boring you, remember there's the casual watcher having fun at this very moment
Stop being bitter...
And this coming from a hard-core pessimist like me. Jeez

The "star" in the 'a star in a reasonably priced car' segment seemed to be a little boy of about 14. I really don't know why he was on there and I didn't really care enough to find out. What could a 14 year old tell me that I don't already know? Maybe he could have talked about his recent memories of being breast fed? Or perhaps he could talk about social networking sites or wearing Converse All Stars?

Rupert Grint will be 22 next month. So, like, four years younger than you, and frankly, you're the one coming across as a bit of a loser here.

Last edited:
Rupert Grint will be 22 next month. So, like, four years younger than you.
Yes, that's already been established, thank you.

Maybe he could grow a fuckin' beard or some shit because he looks like he's in his mid-to-late teens.

A few of you have somehow managed to be personally offended by my opinions of Rupert Grint.

Sorry? Sorry you're such pathetic overly sensitive little wieners? I'm afraid I can't help that. Perhaps you should both suck it up and get on with your lives? Yes, there's an idea.

Last edited:
Yes, that's already been established, thank you.

Maybe he could grow a fuckin' beard or some shit because he looks like he's in his mid-to-late teens.

A few of you have somehow managed to be personally offended by my opinions of Rupert Grint.

Sorry? Sorry you're such pathetic losers? I'm afraid I can't help that. Perhaps you should both suck it up and get on with your lives? Yes, there's an idea.

Before I comment on the episode I'm going to stand up for Rupert. I was an extra in one of the films and have actually met him, ok only for about 10 minutes but still. He looks older - and better- irl, even dressed up as a wizard. Secondly, I am getting the sense of jealousy from you? Perhaps because he is (and always will be) cooler than you- someone who has come onto a car forum, to vent his hatred of an actor (who had a less than a 10 minute segment a car show that you watched) to people he doesnt know personally, in order to try and make himself feel better about his life.

Ok.... next my review of the show

Giving it an 8. Guys who are saying the wedding segment ruined the episode for them I disagree because I found it funny, also I am certain the bride and groom knew they were in for a bumpy ride there, and were fans of the show - which is probably why they were in the audience at the end :) aside from that segment which I likes, i liked the rest as well.... but Its not 9 material ;) sorry :p

So the last 10-15 min makes the entire episode bad?

I enjoyed this episode. I just found it strange to pit a Camaro against a AMG Merc :blink:I much rather they do a 3 ways with Challenger and Mustang - but that would be like their American Muscle Special.

I liked the fact that they pitched the Camaro vs the E63. A Mustang or a Challenger would have been predictable, scripted, and done millions of times by Road & Track, Car &Driver, Motor Trend etc...

This was out-of-box thinking, and I liked it.

"On tonights "Top Gear": A car that costs nearly double is BETTER than another car.

I enjoyed this episode.

Was it scripted? Yes. Is the "James May has no sense of direction" bit getting old? Yes. (Although, I can completely relate, having long hair, a stripey shirt, and no sense of direction. There's a reason I always have a compass.) Do I like James May more when he's being himself? Hell yes.

Does it matter? Not really. In my view, whatever scripting is going on - It's improving in quality. It certainly isn't as bad as it has been. Indeed, even in the heavily scripted last segment, there were some purely funny bits going on.

On another note: I'm actually enjoying the Reliant Robin as a running gag. Who will crash it next week? :D

More from the Department of Gags in Motion: What's with the dogs? Do the things on the table even have anything to do with anything?

^Heh heh. :)

Here's a third mockup of the Camaro. Moved the bottom stuff in a bit, especially trying to get those lights in more, as they were on the original. I think I like it best of the three:

http://img375.imageshack.**/img375/7514/camarorevamp3.jpg
http://img25.imageshack.**/img25/9623/camarorevamp4.jpg

Last edited:
This ep was pretty good, I liked the saloons review, and Richard's review as well although I wasn't expecting a comparison between a camaro and the merc.
SIARPC was more interesting than I though it would be, and I knew Barrichelo was the F1SIARPC but it was still nice to see him.
About the wedding bit, I'm not sure... All the "james getting lost/late" is a bit tiresome now, unlike a few series ago. I mean, for me is no longer funny: is sad

SIARPC Skipped right to their lap times. Barrichello sounded interesting, in a racing-driver-ish way. I was actually surprised he was faster than the Stig.

Muscle Cars Awesome, awesome cinematography. I particularly loved the shot when Hammond pressed the AMG "redneck" button as the camera pans out the sunroof. But as most have stated here, it is sort of mismatched. Why not make the Camaro race against the VXR8 instead?

as far as the reubens interview, are you saying that you dont watch F1? im wondering because those F1 interviews are always great. if you skipped it i suggest you go back and watch it.

i like your idea about the camero review

My thoughts on this episode: "Feels like old Top Gear". The show has definitely improved since last season, although I'm still missing the right balance between seriousness and goofyness. Top Gear needs both. It needs the ridiculous, crazy parts as well as intriguing road testing under unusual conditions.

The Porsche/Maserati/Aston Martin bit was very entertaining but frankly I'm getting tired of hearing all the time, how ugly the Panamera is. Yes, it's not good looking, it is somewhat lacking the right proportions.
Has been said a thousand times, though, so let's start being a bit more rational and fair. Because the truth is also, that in real life it doesn't look half as bad, as on pics and on TV.
Also Top Gear keeps ignoring the reason why it looks that way: Because it is the only true 4-seater of its kind, where 6'3" tall persons can actually fit conveniently in the back. It's strange but nobody ever mentions that. Not even in this review, where practicality was an issue. You only have to look at how lost the two girls looked in the back of the Porsche and how cramped they sat in the back of the Aston.
But at least it shone through now, that the Panamera is clearly the best car of the three -- even though it was only admitted indirectly and with gritting teeth. They'd buy the Maserati, they say? Seeing is believing, I say. And I don't buy that for a second. I'd still rather have an S-Class, than any of those cars, and I bet so would they.

Guests were okay but it's been a while, since we had a really entertaining guest section.

The muscle car bit, well... it's obvious, that the Camaro cannot stand up to the AMG E-Class. But no one's expecting that either. Comparing them is completely pointless but if you look at each one independently, they're both desirable cars for their respective audience.

The wedding party bit was funny. I enjoyed it. Frankly I don't think they're doing the "James getting lost" bit on purpose. I've come to believe, that James indeed has the navigational abilities of a whirligig and cannot find his way in a strange environment at all, and that they're simply making use of that flaw by putting him into situations, where he has no choice but to completely fail.

I think that Top Gear is on a good way towards finding its right balance again and it seems to me, that they definetely haven't shot their last bullet for some time.

8/10

Last edited:
^Heh heh. :)

Here's a third mockup of the Camaro. Moved the bottom stuff in a bit, especially trying to get those lights in more, as they were on the original. I think I like it best of the three:

http://img375.imageshack.**/img375/7514/camarorevamp3.jpg
http://img25.imageshack.**/img25/9623/camarorevamp4.jpg

im not saying anything about your artwork or skills so dont take it that way, but, the Camero IMO already looks plastic and when you remove those headlights and add more grill then it looks even more like a happy meal toy. :barf:

The "star" in the 'a star in a reasonably priced car' segment seemed to be a little boy of about 14. I really don't know why he was on there and I didn't really care enough to find out. What could a 14 year old tell me that I don't already know? Maybe he could have talked about his recent memories of being breast fed? Or perhaps he could talk about social networking sites or wearing Converse All Stars? I dunno, anyway, I've been skipping that dead, dry, awful, way-past-its-prime segment for ages now and I skipped it here too. LOL, he had ginger hair. What a loser.

well, all im going to say is that not everybody hates Harry Potter so some people were just as happy to see him as they were to see ruebens. your not all that old yourself so im sure you have seen one of those films. anyways, you must understand that there was a pretty happy crowd watching tv when he was introduced. most people age 19-25 grew up with that "kids" movies.

im not knocking your opinion but at the same time i think its kinda ignorent. IMHO

Didn't think the Camaro and Merc was a fair comparison. Not sure if it is because Jeremy hates anything American. Putting a Camaro SS up against the standard Merc would have been a better match. Using a Merc that has been upgraded by AMG would of course kill the camaro. If AMG would have upgraded the Camaro and let the Merc stock results would have been different. Problem with our American cars is that the BHP is not as much as other similar cars. Not sure why. but the Camaro is like the Vauxall V8. That Merc was a awesome car though. I would have taken it over the Camaro. Fact is Mercs are made better than American cars. Wish we took more pride in building our cars instead of using the cheapest part available. Too much plastic in our cars. Europe car makers do it the right way.

Solid one. I didn't had to chose between TG and the World Cup because I watched this just moments ago, but TG won against this lame match by miles.

SIARPC was pretty good today. At least the Harry Potter Guy. I haven't watched one of the movies but I liked him. He was pretty funny. Rubens could have played along a little bit more. He wasn't as funny as expected.

The Musclecar bit was, well let's say al little bit off. I can only agree that it's completly stupid to compare it to a Merc, because there will never be a german musclecar. If they would have compared it to a Mustang it would have been good.

And i don't think that the Wedding was all staged because, here is how it properly went down: The BBC calls up some people who are getting married i like half a year a tells them that they will to the driving and film it for something. They wouldn't have told them that it was a silly carshow. The James getting lost part was obviously stagend but hey, it's still TG and not Fifth Gear ;)

The news were great this time. I really like it when they make fun about all those silly things like the Prosche or the EU. It was utterly silly and Top Gear is great at mocking.

All in All it was a 8/10

//edit:
Almost forgotten: Richard didn't really liked this Camaro at the America bit they did some seasons ago, did he?

Last edited:
Before I comment on the episode I'm going to stand up for Rupert.

https://pic.armedcats.net/h/ha/habanos/2010/07/12/picard-facepalm.jpg

Here's the deal: When I said he was 14 I was joking. Clearly. I mean, if he were 14 he wouldn't even be old enough to drive the reasonably priced car in the first place. I guessed his age by taking a quick glance at him. He looked about 17, 18... maybe 19, somewhere around there. I said I skipped the segment because I figured he would be boring. Maybe he isn't. Maybe he's the most fascinating guy in the world but I didn't care enough to find out. The interviews, as I explained, are usually light-weight fluff to fill a gap between the other segments. Even if he were interesting I didn't expect his interview to be. I'm not interested in the Harry Potter movies and I don't want to rub Vicks vaporub into his chest and cuddle him and read bedtime stories to him like LindenChase does and I don't have a lame crush on him and wish he were my boyfriend like you do. I don't know what the hell is the matter with warren but I imagine that no one does... Anyway, to me, Rupert Grint is just some boring celebrity from a big movie franchise. He's sort of a nobody to me. I don't mean that to sound hateful. I don't hate him, he's just not the least bit interesting to me. He's like that guy from Twilight or that other guy, the singer... what's his name... the one with the hair. I just don't care about them. They're the kinds of people that make me change the channel when they come on.

Sometimes the guest is a person that I've never heard of before but there'll be something about them that's engaging and makes me want to watch and listen. Rupert Grint wasn't one of those people. I dismissed him as little more than a boring actor from a popular series of children's films that I'm not a fan of. What did I call him that's upset you all so much? Boring? Ginger-haired? Loser? He is those things for fuck sake!

Really, it was a very small part of my overall post and I still maintain that it's desperatly lame of all of you to be personally offended on his behalf over a throw-away line from a stranger on the internet.:rolleyes:

well, all im going to say is that not everybody hates Harry Potter so some people were just as happy to see him as they were to see ruebens. your not all that old yourself so im sure you have seen one of those films. anyways, you must understand that there was a pretty happy crowd watching tv when he was introduced. most people age 19-25 grew up with that "kids" movies.

im not knocking your opinion but at the same time i think its kinda ignorent. IMHO
You're all cool though... and you didn't sink to my level and call me a loser who'll never get laid.:)

Last edited: