[18x02] February 5th, 2012

[18x02] February 5th, 2012

• Total voters
I replayed him attacking James more times than I did the Hammerhead I Eagle thrust crash test.

You just supplied a very small search radius and more than enough reason to locate you and turn your 2006 Honda into a Trabant. :evil:

Skipped the SIARPC so can't comment on that.
A very good episode up to the racetrack bit in the China segment, where they stopped a hair off perfection by over-exploiting the scripted fighty Stig gag.
9/10

8/10, Sorry but i just miss Cheap car challanges, Good episode, but i still think that indian special was way more funny. This one is funnier than the first episode but i don't know, it's not as good as it could be or should be or as the 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th series were.
I absolutely loved SIARPC ! Mainly because i love the tv show friends. SIARPC 10/10 for me :)
It was too personal Hammond and NASCAR adn america. JC and his SLS AMG.
Just bring back Cheap car challanges and the top gear awards ! :)

Yes, Chinese Stig was overdone. And they really needed proper Chinese actors at the end, because those guys were way too stiff. Also, James owes us a review when the MG 5 comes out, to see what they've changed from the original.

Other than that, the NASCAR segment was surprisingly decent, good News segment, and I didn't want to smash Matt LeBlanc in the teeth on sight like I normally would.

I'll give it a 6.

Yes. This was good. I'd say 8.5 to 9.0.

What sort of dropped the ball for me was the scripted Chinese Stig during the timed laps. Went too far, stopped being ha-ha funny, became more of an ambivilant experience before too long.

Loved the Chinese segment though, as it's getting back to Top Gear of old. I still remember the Pacific Rim episode with a large degree of fondness.

:)

10 for me. Why Matt looked so sad? He is my most favorite actor on Friends, it was nice to see him again but seemed to be sad as puppy...

Very enjoyable hour.

I hate NASCAR, but Richard did a very good job on it. I still hate it, but I have a better understanding of it.

Loved the news. I had suspected James was a bit of a bad boy, I just knew Jeremy was and I really thought Richard was one. Surprising to find out Richard was maybe the best behaved as a small boy.

I am with Jeremy on that car. I don't really want one, but I like it a lot.

Matt LaBlanc. I hated hated Friends and was embarrassed for Matt on that show kind of like I am for the dancing waiters at dinner on a Carnival cruise ship. I did like him in All the Queen's Men and I am happy to say he seems alright overall. He did good in the Kia too so that was another plus for him.

I loved Chinese Stig. I would like to see him again.

China in general is kinda scary to me. In more ways than one.

I do have a question. Why do all the cars have western letters and numbers?

8/10 for me.

I forgot to say I have a moonshine running uncle in North Carolina. He had a car that looked just like the first one Hammond drove. Ever time we went to his house he was out there working on the car. I wish I had paid attention then, but I was too young to understand what was going on then.

The other side of my family in Louisiana made shine too, and beer, but they just made it in a shed out back. I think they just sold it to family.

One of the reasons I have never really drank alcohol is because of what I used to see go on at family gatherings. Shine apparantly makes you crazy.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it alot , Jeremy did great on the sls review , nascar segment was entertaining . and the china part was perfect topgear . SIARPC was good too , didnt have my hopes up like the first episode , so it wasnt a disappointment at all .

Solid episode for me. Loved the NASCAR piece, wish it was easier to watch NASCAR in the UK, or to see some highlight.

Merc review was good, as was the news.

Very impressed with Matt LeBlanc, could tell it was going to be top, looked extremely tidy.

Chinese car piece was good too, interesting to see how quickly their cars are evolving. Chinese Stig was good, but I'm glad the piece ended when it did, if it went on much longer could have got annoying.

This series is off to a really good start, great first episode and a very solid second.

8/10

Damn, what can I say that everyone else hasn't? I was thinking this series was going to be like that last few (i.e. not very exciting) but after the first episode I found myself waiting for this one with nearly the same anticipation as I had 4 or 5 years ago when i first found TG, and this one sure didn't disappoint. No need to comment on the content, its all been covered here and I agree with most of it. The Chinese Stig wasn't bad, I expected them to take it all the way to the point where it was Chinese stig ad nauseum, but they stopped just short imo so t''was all right. Looking forward to the next ep but as far as I'm concerned, even if the rest of the series is crap, at least these first two episodes kept it from being a total waste.

Last edited:
Okay, here we go...

NASCAR segment: not a proper ending, it ended in a bit of a "cliffhanger", so to say. But hey, I like NASCAR, so 9/10.
News: same as usual, but I was expecting that "race" between Jezz and James to be shown. 8/10.
Car review: what else? 10/10.
Matt LeBlanc: Bit too "Blanc", but a nice chap. 9/10.
Chinese cars: felt like when Jezza and James reviewed the Korean and Malaysian cars, and when they "reviewed" historic cars, up to the Chinese attack Stig bit. That joke was milked a bit too much to my taste, but the whole thing was very enjoyable. 'scept for the final bit, that was a bit odd. 9/10.

All in all, and probably the score doesn't add up to my final score if we do the proper maths here, but the Hell with that.

9/10

Really enjoyed this episode except that the Nascar bit didn't seemed as fleshed out as I expected - it could have done with the explanation that Richard gives in the promo as to how the cars are set up to stay on the road actually in the film. Would have given it a bit more depth. In contrast the China segment felt a bit drawn out and repetitive. Both segments were still highly enjoyable and the news entertaining. LeBlanc wasn't as outgoing as I expected but good for him by going to the top of the board. For once, IMO, Clarkson's body language gave away the fact that LeBlanc had gone the fastest - he's getting sloppy in his old age.

I gave it a 9, really enjoyed this one. Not of fan of Nascar, or spec racing in general, but they did a good job making it look interesting, so that was a pleasant surprise. Matt LeThargic was kind of a downer, but he redeemed himself with that lap time. Loved Chinese Stig, good stuff.

Quite good!

One of the better ones in a while. SIARPC was actually a lot better than I figured it would be-- LeBlanc actually knew what he was talking about and referred to the specific model of his Porsche and suchlike. That's refreshing in the face of the usual guests who "Oh, well, I bought some Porsch. The black one."

The chinese car model sequences were hilarious. How many letters and numbers do you need?

I kind of wish they'd have done one of the road course Nascar races, but, that would have blown the whole "go around in circles" thing, so, hey.