[18x02] February 5th, 2012

[18x02] February 5th, 2012

• Total voters
1992 and 1993 [...]
:hmm: *looks at age* *looks at dates* ... are you actually trying to make a point by going back to a time you couldn?t even talk or walk? That?s aincient history even for me ...

Boring and sleep inducing up until China. 10/60 = 16% good.

:hmm: *looks at age* *looks at dates* ... are you actually trying to make a point by going back to a time you couldn?t even talk or walk? That?s aincient history even for me ...

Well, he has a point, since F1 was (AFAIK) the series that first used those systems and pushed their development. And I think that even with current F1 regulations, it's still way more technical a series than NASCAR ever will be.

While I understand both philosophies (rapid technological advancement vs "forced" technological standstill), I do like NASCAR's approach of leveling the playing-field to emphasize driver quality.

S.

1992 and 1993 in F1 were an era of rampant electronic aids, TC, active suspension, paddle gearboxes, ABS, 4-wheel steering, even an attempt at racing-spec CVT.

IMO F1 should have all of those, and more, today.
It's supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsports and motorsport technology, where the best drivers and the best carmakers battle it out with their skills and engineering.

Even Hammond had a MONTAAWWGGEEEE.

Awesome episode, woulda been a solid 9, but a 10 for me because the montage song from team america had me pissin'

It's been a great season TG, keep it up!

Pretty good episode. The NASCAR part was better than I expected, and I would like to see them maybe cover one of the 24 Hour of LeMons races one day. Maybe sneak in with an entry. How hard could it be? :p

Really liked the Chinese car part. Chinese Stig was a bit...too much. I mean, it was funny, but went on just a teensy toolong. But still, overall...a solid 7 from me. :)

I really liked the episode and give it a good 8.

It also gave me itchy feet. My Desire to go to see a NASCAR Oval Race is now even bigger than before. And i definitely want to see Crazy China, what a country!

By the way, does anyone know what the Track was where they were driving? Nothing significant in motorsport terms, i guess...

Cheers

I really liked the episode and give it a good 8.

It also gave me itchy feet. My Desire to go to see a NASCAR Oval Race is now even bigger than before. And i definitely want to see Crazy China, what a country!

By the way, does anyone know what the Track was where they were driving? Nothing significant in motorsport terms, i guess...

Cheers

You mean the circuit in the Chinese segment?

Here it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldenport_Park_Circuit

Very solid episode. Anyone else think that the audio crew is doing some really good stuff recently. The music during the SLS power test was very, very good, with this track being the highlight:

It's almost like they've gotten a new direction. The music was beginning to feel a bit stale, but I like where they are going with it now.

Thank god i watched these two episodes.

I honestly thought my Top Gear graving was over after that India special, so much that i didn't even remember TG had started 2 week ago already.
To me pretty much the right TG prototype episodes these two where with right amount of sillines and serious bits. Also much of the over used antics seemed to be out from these two. China segment was not as good as the brilliant East block one, but still laughed out several times. Like others here, don't care about Nascar but still enjoyed the segment.

This episode will get 8.49999 from me (first one got 9).

EDIT:
I would like to see them maybe cover one of the 24 Hour of LeMons races one day. Maybe sneak in with an entry. How hard could it be? :p

Oh that would be epic. Been following LeMons via Autoblog at times and it seems like a perfect match for some Top Gear fun.

Last edited:
Not much of a NASCAR fan, like F1, but personally I think Touring Cars is the tits. Glad to see Hamster at my home track (at least it is until the Circuit of the Americas track is done).

Surprised to see Jezza mentioned "if America gets F1" without bringing up the fact that we are. Next to last race of this season will be in Austin Texas.

Loved the Chinese segment, glad to see they had fun while being informative. Or as informative as the government would allow them to be...
Stigs Chinese cousin was a riot.

Oh, and the SLS drop top is beautiful, and it was rather refreshing to hear Jezza admit that you have to be a rich mental to buy one.

Wouw, Nascar segment was awesome.....This might be my Secret American side speaking but wow, Richard looked like he was realy having fun, best use of Team America montage theme ever, and the Nascar people seem to be a lovely bunch of good old boys always in for a laugh.

New on the bucket list : attend a Nascar race in an RV with a BBQ nearby, can't believe I've never done that.....those people are more me than me!

News: they were just asking for complaint letters weren't they :rofl: Good job lads, keep kicking em in the head!

Loved the SLS revieuw, its exactly the kind of cars the world needs more of, insane, loud, planet killing, no nonesence, no wonder jermeny likes it, I like it, and the whole film just screamed it. Proper TopGear that.

Skipped the SIARPC as usual, after 20 seconds that Leblanc douchebag was annoying me.

China segment was fun, informative even, no overused yokes, a little tame after an exellent episode though.

All in all, very good episode, proper TopGear.

Very enjoyable show. Being a Yank, I dreaded seeing the NASCAR part. But, except for the obligatory "rednecks in the infield" shots, I thought it was well presented.

I live in Winston-Salem, NC and work for a Chevy dealer, so I hear NASCAR talk all the time. Personally, I could give 2 sh!ts about it but I do respect the people in it. It's certainly more than just turning left with your foot on the floor.

They should send the guys to a dirt track or Bowman Gray Stadium (featured in the History Channel show "Madhouse") here in town. The "redneck" factor there would make NASCAR seem like the sport of kings. :D

A side note: A friend and I were talking. He said he watches Top Gear. I realized he was talking about TG America. I said, "Sorry, I was talking about the real Top Gear." :? Not knocking the TGA guys, just don't care for the show. (I must have been born on the wrong side of the pond.)

that episode did shine some light on the chinese car makery, i knew they were copying other manufacturers but not outright like that, only slight changes and probably not even 5% of the same performance but hey i'll take that X5 copy any day, or the Trumpchi, good looking car that.

Very good episode. The NASCAR segment was nothing new, but it's short and still shows come cool crashes.

I don't agree with Clarkson's conclusion on the SLS at all though. If I'm buying an SLS, I want gullwing doors.

The Chinese cars segment is very funny, and for the most part accurate. What they usually do is copy other cars' exterior and then buy outdated engines from whoever will sell it to them. But as for the automatic box being bad, most Chinese drivers buy manual, auto is more for luxury cars. If they tested a manual version of the 350 and Trumpchi, it's probably adequate.

Thought it was one of the better episodes.

"Both of my lungs are on the same side, that's not normal!"