[18x02] February 5th, 2012

[18x02] February 5th, 2012

• Total voters
Absolutely loved the NASCAR bit. Hammond nailed what it feels like to be a part of a race weekend, I always have a blast when they are on our track.
Rest of the episode was decent, watching episodes to be entertained has made every one so much more fun :D

Can someone come up with an "Oooooh in the Plums!" GIF? That'd be fantastically awesome.

Kudos for making me actually feel interested for NASCAR (no offense to the fans, but I find even Monster Jam to be more enjoyable)

Both are super fun in person, especially behind the scenes ;)

I finally am getting around to watching 18x02. I'm not surprised that hammond loves nascar because he loves the dodge charger and american muscle cars in general. However, I've tried to get intrested in NASCAR before, but just couldn't. it's boring as shit. I watch F1 and Indycar because they are at pinnacle of technological development and the races are more exciting, with more challenging race tracks.

Both are super fun in person, especially behind the scenes ;)

Thats one of the reasons NASCAR and Monster Jam do so well with Americans. There is much more access for the fans, compared to F1. Granted, F1 has a firm hold on the party scene, and the pits are awesome (if you are closer to an engineer rather than mechanic), but the cost needed to get there is rather restrictive. It works, the F1 full access folks are rather exclusive, thus reinforcing the "rich chap" stereotype. Compare to NASCAR, where fans can often wander in during practice and qualifying, and cheaper access to the pits reinforce the "regular working dude" atmosphere.

I would MUCH rather spend my time in the pits during a NASCAR race, but then again, same to be said for F1, unless the private box is elevated enough.

did anyone realize yet that when they where driving the chinese tripod thing, the XF1502K-4 there was an Audi R8 at the side of the road???!!

but seriously, are the chinese just the most uncreative people in the world?
well their car names are creative though^^

I mean the ShuangHuan S-Ceo HBJ6474Y, that name is just epic :lol:

China seems to have something in the water that causes them to be brilliant at copying the work of others, but rubbish at having a single original idea.

95% of all computer and smart phone components are made in China, yet they have never designed a good computer or smart phone.

The iPhone is made in China, yet the Chinese cant create something better? Or is it that all of their creative talent has fled their country?

I refuse to buy a Chinese car at any point in the future. I will stick to breaker point ignition and carburetors if I must.
(Wait, I drive a VW, ok, no problem then. My car is EMP proof.)

Jeff Gordon, one of the guys featured in the NASCAR segment, have rolled over his car during the Budweiser Shootout.

China seems to have something in the water that causes them to be brilliant at copying the work of others, but rubbish at having a single original idea.

95% of all computer and smart phone components are made in China, yet they have never designed a good computer or smart phone.

The iPhone is made in China, yet the Chinese cant create something better? Or is it that all of their creative talent has fled their country?

I refuse to buy a Chinese car at any point in the future. I will stick to breaker point ignition and carburetors if I must.
(Wait, I drive a VW, ok, no problem then. My car is EMP proof.)
I think it may have something to do with 'creative free thinking' being strangled at birth. To be fair to them, they would be creative if they were allowed to be.

I bet the Germans are in love with that idea. Coming soon: the new BMW 34814-A8471-N.

Not really. We're in love with things making sense. Or at least we used to... like the last two digits of BMW designations actually hinting at the displacement <sigh> until the marketing drones got a hold of that concept. Choke it by the throat, more like.

This ep aired today on BBC Canada and, for some strange reason, it aired in a 90 minute time slot. There was hardly anything edited out - I did notice about 10 seconds of Matt LeBlanc's interview that was missing. Didn't compare anything in the earlier segments, might do that later. I think that's the first time that BBC Canada hasn't aired the heavily edited version of an episode.

gave it a 9.

The Nascar part was great, And I really like how they incorporated several cars into the review for just the SLS Roadster. Top gear editing always gets better and better. I enjoy the little flashes and the new segments was pretty damn funny in this episode.

Go episode to watch, laughed pretty hard at the Knockoff starbucks lol

- - - Updated - - -

I wanna drive a Hongda

I think it may have something to do with 'creative free thinking' being strangled at birth. To be fair to them, they would be creative if they were allowed to be.

I believe it's down to the lack of know-how and r&d. So it's easier to disassemble and copy the basic mechanical parts to save the day. By the way, many european design and engineering schools (including RCA of UK) have lots of chinese students now, so it'll not be very long to see chinese designed products or even cars in near future.

I guess Hammond learned who Jeff Gordon is (he and Jeremy had no idea who he was in the Series 3 (I think?) Christmas present segment).

Just before Hammond was introduced at the driver's briefing as guest from the UK, there was some air force general introduced to raucous applause... which was clearly fake and done in post to make Richard's intro seem much more tame in contrast. Unnecessary...