[50 Years of Bond Cars Special] 18x08 October 29th, 2012

[50 Years of Bond Cars Special] 18x08 October 29th, 2012

• Total voters
Doesn't feel like a Top Gear episode so far. Its actually a sensible documentary.

I love Top Gear, I love Bond. "Presented by Richard Hammond" I was expecting a free with Top Gear magazine style DVD, I was pleasantly surprised.
"V8 Volante" Really?
I can't believe the Lotus worked, it was amazing.

No mention of Ben Collins in the credits?

re: [50 Years of Bond Cars Special] 18x08 October 29th, 2012

I love Top Gear, I love Bond. "Presented by Richard Hammond" I was expecting a free with Top Gear magazine style DVD, I was pleasantly surprised.
"V8 Volante" Really?
I can't believe the Lotus worked, it was amazing.

No mention of Ben Collins in the credits?

Why mention ben?

I was positively surprised by this. Not Top Gear, but quite a nice piece of work and a very good job by Hammond IMO.

I'm just amazed how good this was. I just shows how good Top Gear can be without the fooling around. Yes it wasn't a normal Top gear episode, and May and Clarkson weren't there. But the music, the cinematics and the content was just so good. It makes a none car fan become interested in cars because of the way they show it to the audience.

If you didn't liked this then you're just not interested in cars but only in comedy and the dynamic of the 3 guys.

PS: I'm also a big fan of the cocking about and the dynamic between the guys. I really like the vietnam special or that knockdown-houses-challenge-with-military-stuff. But when they do a documentary about something (like Senna) then they really perform their A game ...

Last edited:
A surprisingly thorough walk through of all the cars so far. Personally I loved the 750i, the interaction between Bond and the German lady was brilliant :p Agree on the Z3 & Z8 though.

I had my reservations as I really don't like Hammond, but I have to say he did a great job.

Side note - anyone got/getting a 1080i rip?

That was good and I hate hate hate Bond movies. It was interesting to hear the stories behind the action.

Good start.

Close to a 10, but I am going 9.

I couldn't give it a 10...not possible with the horrible Transit sequence.

I couldn't give it a 10...not possible with the horrible Transit sequence.

Why do they insist on repurposing routines from their crap Christmas videos? First we had to re-endure the stupid rally car/flying man sequence, now the reappearance of one of the stupidest sections of At The Movies. It must be something karmic. They stayed away from Stupid Richard (in the main; him trying to bait Ben Collins carried a whiff of pathetic, no matter how you feel about Sacked Stig), so they had to include some Stupid Top Gear to balance that out.

It must be something karmic. They stayed away from Stupid Richard (in the main; him trying to bait Ben Collins carried a whiff of pathetic...)

I dunno, I thought that was a little funny. I'd feel better about it if I knew it was was 'ribbing' as water under the bridge, but I'm not entirely sure. I mean yeah the divorce was pretty messy, but that was what, two and a half years ago now?

In any case, I thought the episode was pretty awesome. I was a little bored by the transit thing, but thankfully it wasn't on there very long. I still gave it a 10 because Ursula Andress. And cars. And no "stupid Richard" as people put it.

I thought it was a well done effort all around. Interesting to watch as well.

I dunno, I thought that was a little funny.

It was cringe-worthy.

I'd feel better about it if I knew it was was 'ribbing' as water under the bridge, but I'm not entirely sure.

Richard also tried to bait Collins in 17x06. It wasn't pleasant then and it wasn't pleasant now. And let's not forget "YOU SHOOT HIM IN THE BACK!".

I mean yeah the divorce was pretty messy, but that was what, two and a half years ago now?

Yeah, because every divorced couple lets water flow under the bridge and adopts a forgive-and-forget attitude. This is especially the case when one of the parties does something like, oh, writes a tell-all book. Yeesh.

Jeremy and Andy, here's a hint: if you want to rebuild bridges with Collins and forgive and forget, don't send Richard to do it.

Particularly Enigmatic New Invisibility System

Yup, that's Top Gear.

It was straightforward. It was anorak-y at moments. It had an Alfa AND it had a 2000GT. It had the proper Richard (transit sequence aside, though I admit I did love the name for the invisibility device). It had a REAL FUCKING SUBMARINE LOTUS. It had terrific music, much of it cribbed from other memorable Top Gear moments. It had funny with Ben Collins.

It was Top Gear at its most focused. And its best. I give it a 9/10 only because a) the Transit part lets down the side a bit, and b) Top Gear should have leaned its considerable clout on the Bond people and gotten rid of the stupid placeholder "Skyfall" tablecards when Hammond sat down with Craig. This wasn't a canned stupid Hollywood reporter interview and needn't be subjected to such.

Bravo. Great special. Will watch it again, and again. Makes for a nice prelude (I hope) for Series 19.

Another area of improvement could have been the V8 Vantage bit. I would have liked to see Richard drive one of them instead of driving the 2CV.

Another area of improvement could have been the V8 Vantage bit. I would have liked to see Richard drive one of them instead of driving the 2CV.

According to Wikipedo, only 192 Vantage Volantes were built. Howmanyleft says there are only 16 on the road. It may have been too hard to try to get one if Aston wouldn't provide their museum piece.

It was cringe-worthy.

Richard also tried to bait Collins in 17x06. It wasn't pleasant then and it wasn't pleasant now. And let's not forget "YOU SHOOT HIM IN THE BACK!".

Yeah, because every divorced couple lets water flow under the bridge and adopts a forgive-and-forget attitude. This is especially the case when one of the parties does something like, oh, writes a tell-all book. Yeesh.

Jeremy and Andy, here's a hint: if you want to rebuild bridges with Collins and forgive and forget, don't send Richard to do it.

It didnt seem too bad to me, they were only messing around and it looked to be in good humour.

I enjoyed it, not a real fan of Hammond but when he does a serious documentary he's actually quite good.

...I hate hate hate Bond movies...

:blink:

Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot. It was nice to hear the stories behind a lot of the films and to hear from the people who made and starred in them. I agree in part with the BMW bit, but the Tomorrow Never Dies chase is one of the best. Plus, it was nice to see Richard being 'sensible Richard' for a change.