[19x06] March 3rd, 2013 [Africa Special, Part 1]

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Last edited:
Started off slow, but got better. Looking forward to part 2.

So much better than India at any rate.

10/10. Feeling it.

Bananas cracked me up, the shouting at May for the steel cracked me up and no stupidness. Oh god yes.

Slow start but picked up in the second half. I reckon part II will be the one to watch and that they are keeping their powder dry, saving the best parts for then.

Nice to see them being more natural once they got all the silly set pieces out of the way in the first 25-30 minutes. TG as it should be - drop them into a situation and let the chemistry happen rather than script a load of bollocks and faking silly caricatured rivalry. They really seemed like proper friends - taking the piss when appropriate but helping each other sincerely when required. Also good to note that they seem to have learned from the backlash from their last Special and realised that they aren't invincible.

8/10 but if the second half is anything to go by then next week could score top marks.

Now that's a proper roadtrip, with little to no scripting (how could you script something in such a trip?). The choice of cars was foreseeable not good for James and Jeremy, the Subaru is at home with it's AWD and rally-heritage, they do know how to build a car for such roads.

I was surprised the Impreza didn't catch fire when Hammond left the beans cooking when Clarkson claimed they should look east of the Lake Victoria. In the past they didn't miss such an opportunity to "hilariously" let a car catch fire... :hmm:

I'm looking very much forward to the second part. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
A return to form in my opinion, I didn't cringe once throughout the entire episode. I'm not sure what else to say other than this is what a TG Special should be like. Loved it.

Slow start but picked up in the second half. I reckon part II will be the one to watch and that they are keeping their powder dry, saving the best parts for then.

Nice to see them being more natural once they got all the silly set pieces out of the way in the first 25-30 minutes. TG as it should be - drop them into a situation and let the chemistry happen rather than script a load of bollocks and faking silly caricatured rivalry. They really seemed like proper friends - taking the piss when appropriate but helping each other sincerely when required. Also good to note that they seem to have learned from the backlash from their last Special and realised that they aren't invincible.

Even the silly parts were still quite entertaining, though. Hammond's 5 star hotel and Jeremy's hate when he saw his bed.

I get the feeling that this special ended up, when edited down as much as they could, in the awkward zone between 75 minutes and 2 hours.

=EDIT=

I was surprised the Impreza didn't catch fire when Hammond left the beans cooking when Clarkson claimed they should look east of the Lake Victoria. In the past they didn't miss such an opportunity to "hilariously" let a car catch fire... :hmm:
I had a dreadful feeling when I saw yesterday's trailer with the stove. If anything "catches fire", I'll burn the three of them personally.

Last edited:

I thought that!

I thought "oh god, the car's going to go up in flames in the background and Jeremy will say something like 'What's that?'"

And then they didn't do it. I wonder if they did and then edited it out?

At any rate I'm really glad they didn't because it would have been predictable and boring.

Last edited:
What a great road trip, loved watching the chemistry between the guys.
And for the record: On Twitter, Richard has strongly denied dyeing his hair. :mrgreen:
Sigh. For what it's worth, I'm gonna say now that no, I don't dye it, I swear. But am ready for endless abuse anyway.

Have to play the odd-man-out, I guess, as I was not overly impressed. I did not feel it was as good as the original Africa Special to say nothing of Vietnam (IMO, the one true "10"). It did not have any groaner moments, so kudos for that, but otherwise it seemed kind of boring. All that being said, I do expect it to look gorgeous in HD and based on Andy's comments and the preview, hopefully the second installment raises the game.

I thought that!

I thought "oh god, the car's going to go up in flames in the background and Jeremy will say something like 'What's that?'"

And then they didn't do it. I wonder if they did and then edited it out?

At any rate I'm really glad they didn't because it would have been predictable and boring.

Likewise! I am very happy it didn't happen.

Hi what is the name of the song in todays african special episode?

The song played from 56:55 to 57:55

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me as i cannot find it

Love every second of this! God africa looks gorges on top gear! I was laughing pretty hard at hammonds "insect fortress"..haha! Very good episode, i go for 10/10! Cant wait for next week!

First post. Thought tonight's episode was excellent, best since Vietnam in my opinion. Awesome scenery, great soundtrack and great cars. Little to no scripting (that was obvious anyway) and some laugh out loud moments. Fan-bleeding-tastic. 10/10