[06x06] July 3rd, 2005

tloekke said:
Is it just me or is the DBR9 wearing lipstick?
It's a classical theme carried over from the DBR1 that won Le Mans in 1959...
aston_martin_dbr1_and_maserati_300s.jpg

Jimi Hendrix said:
bihus said:
Jimi Hendrix said:
I've just read this in another forum:

We'd loved to have put the DBRS9 round the TG track but unfortunately they haven't built a runner yet and the car we had in the studio was just a show car with no engine.

As far as the race goes, some people do get furrow browed about how we get the shots of the cars during its journey. Well, for the less mentally creative who haven't yet worked out this one, I'll let you into a secret. The interior filming and some of the tracking shots are done during the race. The more arty time consuming stuff is done on the return leg back to the UK when they've got more time to make it look nice. Next time I'll fill you in on why Coronation Street isn't a real place.

Where did you found this? This confirms my thoughts. :mrgreen:
Who wrote this, do you know?

I have found this here:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?p=3&f=23&t=190754&h=0

The guy that wrote that in PH says that it is a quote from another forum, but he doesn't say what forum

Ok, thanks. :)

I swear I saw Mrs. Hammond as the two were walking out of the ship...

Re: the chase car, last time it was a Range Rover.

ThwartedEfforts said:
Jasruler said:
Question: What is that little candy thing JC eats during a rest break called "Spunk"?
It's a German liquorice that all us Brit visitors buy (myself included) because it seems funny at the time.

EDIT: I've just Googled for a British->American dictionary.

American
spunk cf n :
liveliness, excitement, courageousness.

British
spunk cf n :
semen, syn. spooge, (Scot) joombye /joombee/.

You see the humour :roll:

Actually, while "spunk" can mean liveliness in American, it's pretty rare that you'll hear anyone use the word in that way...

Because as you point out, the second meaning pertaining to bodily fluid is what anyone under 60 would most likely think if you happened to use it. When I saw Clarkson eating the stuff I almost fell out of my chair :lol:

great episode. loved the race, altough it seemed a bit staged to me.
come on, two boats breaking down... spectacular television tough.
watched the dbr9 lap 10 times and still can't get enough of that sound. JC must come up with some new jokes about the dutch,
we are far more versatile as JC thinks :D

I was laughing so hard when JC was sitting on the trunk of the SLR and was going through the CD magazine. Did McLaren actually give him a CD of Mrs. Thatcher's speeches? That's hilarious...

Best. Episode. Ever. (well, this season)

loved it - I was either laughing stupidly or drooling at the SLR & DBR9's engine notes

Edit: Just realised something - why did they start the race at Heathrow? Last race was started away from the airport (at the TG studio I think) and Hammond & May had to bus it to the airport first. Seems a bit unfair to start them at the airport.

JM: What's the Norwegian for "Oh, Cock"? :lol: That was so funny...

When they were getting out of the ship in Norway... I think that girl someone mentioned before was a Mrs. Hammond (Richard's mum) look-a-like.

One of the funniest episodes ever... :thumbsup:

Shawn_230 said:
I was laughing so hard when JC was sitting on the trunk of the SLR and was going through the CD magazine. Did McLaren actually give him a CD of Mrs. Thatcher's speeches? That's hilarious...

I think it was the Top Gear office that provided the Thatcher CD, but hilarious nonetheless

This ep is the best of this season so far. The DBR9 really sounds amazing. And it's 10 seconds faster than the fastest car (Enzo?). The race was interesting, but driving for such long time if really tiring, even if you're in a comfortable GT car. I think Richard and James would've won if they just use a regular yatch instead of a racing powerboat. They are way more reliable. And thanks for the 350mb version.

Yeah that was a great episode, when they do these races, you, the viewer gets a real feel of the car and how it functions. I really can tell you now that I would like an SLR, before I watched this episode, I wasn't too keen of it.

And I am still dooling over the DBR9 notes.

magnaman said:
But overall great episode... and i think that was a monaro.... hey another perth person!!!
Yep, definitely a yellow Vauxhall Monaro. I wonder when they're getting the bonnet vents over there?

Speaking of Australian cars, I'd like to see a test of the XR6T, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

They already do. It comes in two versions over there, the old GenIII and the GenIV (with bonnet vents). They actually show it in Episode 4 this year, with the Cadillac.