[22x02] February 1st, 2015

[22x02] February 1st, 2015

• Total voters
I'm really diggin this season so far. Feels like the cocking about has been put back to normal levels and normal service has been resumed. FUCK YES!

Hey guys. I haven't been on here in some time. I just have some comments about TG that have been bugging me for about 2 years now.

I hate how every time they review the Nissan GT-R (and lets be real here, they have had the GT-R on the show at least 10 times by now...come on...get some new cars that we fans haven't seen yet!) they mention how the tires are filled with Nitrogen. So what? Every run-of-the-mill Kia or Hyundai has nitrogen in their tires where I live.

God, how I miss when Top Gear used to be a car show where they reviewed cars. This used to be a car show. This is just a blatantly scripted comedy show now which gets less and less funny with each passing episode.

I must say though, this was the best episode in a while, in that regard.

Living in Canada, I have been torrenting Top Gear immediately when it finished airing for the last 18 seasons or so on Sunday afternoon (time zone difference). This was (by far) my favourite show. Now, in season 22, I'm depressed to say that it is now Tuesday night before I bothered to download and watch it.

Please Top Gear, bring back the "car" to this car show.

This is exactly how I feel. I gave it a 3. I watch top gear to see over the top cars on curvy roads, tracks, etc. THEY are getting more like US top gear and turning into a show of lame challenges. I have the last 2 years of US top gear on my DVR and haven't been bothered enough to watch any of them because they are rehashes of dumb challenges. I miss the format that made top gear such a big success. Maybe its time they bring in some new blood before they totally play it out..

This is exactly how I feel. I gave it a 3. I watch top gear to see over the top cars on curvy roads, tracks, etc. THEY are getting more like US top gear and turning into a show of lame challenges. I have the last 2 years of US top gear on my DVR and haven't been bothered enough to watch any of them because they are rehashes of dumb challenges. I miss the format that made top gear such a big success. Maybe its time they bring in some new blood before they totally play it out..

The show has gained most of its popularity during season 9, when they started going crazy with the challenges, and slowly drifted away from being a motoring show to a show about james, jeremy and richard with some cars. The show has since maintained it's extreme popularity - there is no reason to change anything. Not to mention that most of the general audience is the least interested in the plain car reviews.

Really enjoyed this one, great car choices but that M6 was amazing. SIARPC was meh (never got into 24). Put the M6 on the track for a lap to see how it stacks up against the other two, which have already been tested in current spec I believe. 8/10 I suppose.

I was a tad disappointed with this one. The Northern Territory is an amazing area and I expected them to take full advantage of that, but they didn't really. They didn't need the preposterous rationale for heading to Australia (questioning whether modern cars can handle heat and dust? give me a break), it's not like they needed to with the US road trip or similar. Car choices weren't really explained and the combination was a little odd; I'm not sure I see how the three are comparable. Couple that with tedious shots of dead straight roads giving us no geographic context, a ridiculous final challenge, James repeating for the fourth time (by my count) everything we already know about the Nissan, and what felt like a general lack of...spark(?) and it didn't meet my admittedly high bar.

All that said, I was giggling like a schoolboy at the mine race, the shots of that GTR got my hair standing on end. A redeeming feature in and of itself, and the argument at the end was genuine and hilarious.

Overall, an enjoyable episode and not terrible by any means, just not quite as good as I'd hoped it'd be. But man, Kiefer Sutherland is a bore.

7/10.

Last edited:
I rate this one a solid 9. It was great television, even if flawed in places.
The cowherding bit was fairly pointless and I felt the discussion at the end was contrived. But other than that, this one felt like it was actually about the cars once again.
Loved that Maloo.

Pretty meh episode... But they haven't really been great in years anyway. Worth watching anyway.

In Canada, we use nitrogen in our tires because temperature differences of the seasons (i.e. 35 degrees C in the summer versus negative 20 degrees C in the winter) doesn't affect the tire pressure.

Normal air changes drastically.

Interesting. I've never heard anyone doing that here. Of course you are not having the same tires at +35?C and -35?C, so the difference isn't that big.

Highlight of the episode? "You plum sack". :lol:

I absolutely LOVED the hillclimb segment. The "meh" SiaRPC and the "...ok" cow rodeo" but at the end brought it down just a bit for me.

A solid 9/10. Would have been an 8/10 if not for the solid main segment.