Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt LeBlanc leaving Top Gear

Well, this is interesting

Some sad news for those who, like us, thought the reborn Top Gear was really hitting its stride lately: Former Friends star Matt LeBlanc, who has been a presenter since 2016, is leaving the show after its next season.

You could have told me the Dacia Sandero includes ashtrays as standard and my reaction would be the same.

Comment

Honestly, not all that interesting or shocking really, I can only imagine how hard it got juggling filming TG and his sitcom( that got renewed).

Comment

So...what we have now is an hour long version of Chris Harris on Cars?

I am okay with this.

<Ice> Oh, you're the kiddy anime guy.
        "The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were."
        John F. Kennedy

Comment

Too bad. He was really getting better as a presenter.

Comment

Originally posted by gaasc View Post
            So...what we have now is an hour long version of Chris Harris on Cars?
            Or the BBC just pulls the plug.

Comment

This is really sad. Now they need to reinvent themselves again, just as they were getting into the groove.

Comment

It makes sense, commuting to London from CA can't be fun. Chris Harris has the talent to keep the show entertaining, the risk is that the BBC will want a celebrity anchor and choose another Chris Evans to replace LeBlanc.
                bogative ?

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
                "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
                "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Comment

I could see Johnny Smith from Fifth Gear slotting in quite nicely as third chair. He was born the same year as Rory (1979) with Harris being 4 years older so it would be a team that, assuming it stayed together, would have a minimum of 5 years and probably nearer 10 to keep the show alive.

I honestly don't see the Beeb pulling the plug on the show. Sure viewing figures have dropped since the CHM days but that's mainly because they are carrying on with their silliness elsewhere and TG has reverted back towards being more of a car show than it had become in the final years of the Three Stooges' tenure.
                  WillDAQ: To use the technical terms: "the Mustang is to aerodynamics what horse shit is to fine dining"

Dr Grip: Brilliant!

EyeMWing Because what fun is a silicone dick if you don't try putting it in somebody's backside at least once.

Jay IKEA now ranks up in my awesome list, quite near bacon and blowjobs.

Cowboy I've never gotten so drunk I wanted to rub one out while shoving a fire extinguisher up my ass.

Remind me never to have him round to dinner!

www.mattonmotors.com/ @MattOnMotors

Comment

Johnny would be good, however part of what made TG so enjoyable was the edge Clarkson added to it. I don't see Johnny being a delightful asshole.
                    bogative ?

"If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
                    "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Comment

Back when Chris Evans was on the show with Chris Harris, I thought it would be funny if they got Chris Barrie, just to make the hat trick. But I do think Chris Barrie could make a decent presenter, assuming he would even want the gig.

Comment

Jenson! Jenson! Jenson!

i know it won't happen, he's way to busy, but it's nice to hope...

him and Harris would make a great combo i think

Comment

The best presenter they could get would be Adam Corolla. But he lives in LA and would be fired within a week.
                          bogative ?

Comment

The next presenter should be able to do interviews. As we speak the only one who is pretty good at it is philippe lellouche from Top Gear France.

Comment

Edd China could be good if he was interested
                              Team Black Jack

So, that's all good.

Comment

he would get on great with rory, two boring men together...

Comment

Jonny would be great... but then he's currently doing great on the Fully Charged YouTube channel and it would be a real shame if he had to give that up.

If he did cross over to Top Gear expect much much much more on electric vehicles and infrastructure since he's totally into that now.
                                  Last edited by MossMan; June 15th, 2018, 10:16 AM. Reason: Correct spelling of his name

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post
                                    Jenson! Jenson! Jenson!

i know it won't happen, he's way to busy, but it's nice to hope...

him and Harris would make a great combo i think
                                    What about Jay Kay?
                                    1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                                    2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                                    1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                                    2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
                                    2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

Comment

For me, some of the weakest parts of the post CHM era shows have been in the studio. They really haven't had someone who can present, interview and be entertaining to a good level, including having spontaneity. Clarkson was very good at all of that which is why the studio segments with those 3 worked so well.

Who the replacement could/should be, I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MossMan View Post
                                        Jonny would be great... but then he's currently doing great on the Fully Charged YouTube channel and it would be a real shame if he had to give that up.

If he did cross over to Top Gear expect much much much more on electric vehicles and infrastructure since he's totally into that now.
                                        Case in point - this just popped up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjku9-q3_fw

Comment

Working...
                                        X