[23x01] May 29th, 2016 -- First Episode With New Cast

[23x01] May 29th, 2016 -- First Episode With New Cast

• Total voters
Well, the only thing CHM Top Gear had in common with the original Top Gear was the name and having cars in the show.
So CHM Top Gear was the original of its format, while The Annoying Ginger has done a poor job trying to copy that format.
It's a huge difference, so I thought the analogy with Total Recall was spot on.

Not even a little bit, Go back and honestly watch Series 1 of Top Gear and you'll see that apart from a few minor things you could easily see a lot of the stuff they did on that show as old Top Gear. The transition away from Old Top Gear despite the format change take until as far as Series 3 and 4. Series 4 being the first proper year of Top Gear as we knew it. I think you are just letting emotion get in the way because like what Clarkson and Wilman did with Top Gear Evans is taking what he liked from the old series and trying to make his own show and at the start it's going to carry the same sort of tone but he's introduced things here and there which could get better etc etc.
When The Grand Tour launches I'm betting everyone will be just as surprised when they see that it's basically Top Gear but in a different 'studio'.

Am I right on saying this is the lowest rating for any TG episode since ww started doing these polls?

Hmmm, maybe I should go through all the polls in the TG subforum and put them all into Excel, then do some sort of analysis.

Once upon a time when the main page was not deceased yet, the average rating used to be shown in the epizode list.

It must have been dome by some kind of script, perhaps the administrators might save you from playing with Excel. (nothing against Excel)

Once upon a time when the main page was not deceased yet, the average rating used to be shown in the epizode list.

It must have been dome by some kind of script, perhaps the administrators might save you from playing with Excel. (nothing against Excel)

But I like playing with Excel!

I don't.

I hate Excel.

I don't mind, it's a 'tool' for me, just like a screwdriver, scanner, keyboard or a powerdrill. Excel is a huge part of my work, my work brings me money, so I probably should like it. :)

I was looking at my Twitter feeds, and saw something I missed.
That woman is awesome!
0CkBUur.jpg

I've just watched this now, and I've avoided all previous comments so as to not bias me.

I will freely admit, however, I went into this wanting to hate-watch it.

I can't say that goal was accomplished.

The highs: Solid opening film with ACR v Z06, Ariel Atom film, and (unbelievable) SIARPC. I agree with Matt: Chris Evans is a talk show host and it shows well here. This was actually interesting, and I welcome the change to an otherwise tired format (but why Jessie whatshisname and Gordon Ramsey together I don't understand... at least prev SIARPC pairings had some sort of commonality).

The lows: When they TRY too hard to be CHM Top Gear. That US vs UK film was cringe-worthy. How did they get that past the screening? There is no chemistry between CE and ML, so the viewers can't really get into it. They tried WAY TOO HARD to make it look like those two are "best buds." The Robin Reliants have been done to death. Matt being a professional actor actually hurts this segment, because you know he's just acting. At least with CHM, there was the veneer of genuine emotion and surprise. The entire first part had ZERO point. The second part just didn't engage me at all. That this segment was two parts just hurts the overall score for this episode.

Verdict: 4/10. I see genuine potential as long as they try to keep the spirit of the old show without actually trying to replicate it. I can't call it a failure from the off, but I also am not ready to say this show is a success. I look forward to at least seeing how the show develops over the coming episodes.