[23x04] June 19th, 2016

[23x04] June 19th, 2016

• Total voters
Watched last week's ep this morning and....yeah. Some improvements but that race could have been so much better. Did they not bother showing the hosts interacting with each other for a reason (ie. because there's no chemistry? or to make more time for the "Stars" segment?) or was that their way of showing the program is 'different' from the CHM version? I will say this about the "Stars" segment, at least the guys this week didn't seem as awkward as they read the cue cards to say what the other guy had been doing. Still, I couldn't tell you what their first & best cars were (and I just watched the show an hour ago) - that bit just is not at all interesting to me.

Nicely observed.

As I mentioned before, they now seem to avoid putting them together in one film. Probably because it becomes really awkward when they have to interact with each other. Instead they let the crew in the cutting room do the messy work of making a film from all the bits and pieces. Sadly it didn't work.

The recipe was always: Put 2 guys into a fast train, on a quick boat or an airplane, let them bicker all the time, while putting 1 person into a fast car and race against them. Make sure the race will be close. That worked, it was a proven formula.

What we were given this time, was 3 persons in three old vehicles racing 1 person in a very slow train. The 3 persons didn't interact (because they weren't together), didn't bicker and had to do some stupid challenges in order to be artificially slowed down. Meanwhile, the 1 person on the train was constantly seen eating fancy food and demonstrated that he can be annoying by using a spoon for something other than eating soup.

I can literally see the guys in the editing room tear their hair when tasked with making a coherent film out of that.

The end result was ill-paced, dull and boring.

Last edited:
The challenges were a distraction which made the race almost irrelevant, if it had just been we've got 3 presenters racing the train in their chosen vehicles it would have been a very different film.

I will say this; there is a limited amount of things you can do with cars. inevitably, they will do variations of things that they have already done in the CHMgear. however, if they had put say...two in the train, two in a cheap car (instead of letting the producers have their way, we pooled up our resources and got this) they not only have a spin on the formula,but they have a way to begin building chemistry. lord knows they need help with that.

but what do i know, I am one of the ones they lost after episode 2...FACT

You cannot "build chemistry". Either it's there from the start or not.

It is not.

The challenges were a distraction which made the race almost irrelevant, if it had just been we've got 3 presenters racing the train in their chosen vehicles it would have been a very different film.

Indeed. In reality they had time to get there, have a pleasant 8 hour sleep, have a nice breakfast, a quick tour of Venice, lunch and then wait at the platform for the train to arrive.

Can't be sure if it's true, but...

Matt LeBlanc is 'planning to quit Top Gear if co-host Chris Evans does not go first'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...?WTmcid=tmgoff_soc_spf_fb&WT.mc_id=sf29686696

:thumbup:

This was mentioned a bit earlier, a big note of caution is the original story comes from The Sun.

You cannot "build chemistry". Either it's there from the start or not.

It is not.

Sure it is. You can't force it, but you can create it by having people spend time together. There's no guarantee that the chemistry they'll create will be likeable of course, but they will at least interact with each other. Evans may have a harder time of doing that than everyone else though, since he seems to be clinging to some "I'm the frontliner, bow before me and give me the most screen time while at it, I'm the star." mentality.

Well, if you ask me, the viewing figures will keep plummeting and at the end of the season there will be a debate who's fault it is. Maybe the BBC panic and tries to hire a new team, or at least exchange some people.

In any case I don't expect to see the same lineup next series (if there is one).

Top Gear has started going the 5th Gear path. Now all that's missing are commercial breaks.

Oops, poll added.