[23x04] June 19th, 2016

[23x04] June 19th, 2016

• Total voters
Amen. A cheap car challenge where they gave zero air time to the cars or discussion about them.

Maybe, just maybe, if they could craft the show around Harris, Reid and A N Other they might have a chance of saving it but lose the rest of them. CE is just an ego on legs, MLB has zero charisma, Jordan's "bonkers uncle" act wasn't funny from the get go and even Sabine is starting to get on my nerves.

RIP Top Gear. I shan't be watching any more. In fact but for my roomie wanting to check it out I would have been watching the football and wouldn't have bothered with a recording or iPlayer.

EDIT: An hour after a new TG episode and fewer than 400 people online on FG. Time was when that number would run into the thousands. Says it all really.

Last edited:
RIP Top Gear. I shan't be watching any more. In fact but for my roomie wanting to check it out I would have been watching the football and wouldn't have bothered with a recording or iPlayer.

I watched the football. Payet hitting the post as the only 2nd half chance was prolly better than this episode.

Bland Gear, very reminiscent of fifth gear this one... still crap. Had it on in the background,wasnt very good at all...

I like the fact that Chris Evans referred to Eddie Jordan as "the most annoying man in the world". No Chris he is the second most annoying man in the world.... after you u ginger turd

Also I dont see the attraction of Chris Harris he is just an unfunny bland version of Clarkson

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
Not a great episode but the last two weren't bad. And I did quite like EJ although he needs to be used sparingly.

The worst audio engineering on that aston film outside of some early tg yt clips. That was just shit

im still not sold.

The cheap car challenge was ok until the cooking ended, then the race got bland in uninterested. There was never any urgency or drama. EJ wasnt terrible, but he only had a few minutes of screentime. Sabine isnt a natural when she's doing the entertaing segments like this. I liked the Aston stuff, more car nerdy stuff would be great, like comparing it, at least in numbers, with the ferrari XX series and the Zonda R (extra doesnt do it). The interview is still unberable. Tesla review was on par with online stuff like X car and motortrend and US taxpayers dont pay for those...

I will give it a 4/10, becuse matt is actully funny and harris did what he does best.

Last edited:
OK, by self-admission, I am a complete geek therefore having Prof. Brian Cox on the show immediately raises my score by at least a point. I am also a lover of everything Aston Martin, so that?s +1 again for the Vulcan. I am already at 2/10 for my review and I just started
As everyone else here (or most people anyways), I cannot stand Chris ?Mr. Shouty? Evans, and unlike most here I cannot stand Matthew ?bore me to death? le Blanc and I also cannot stand and never liked Sabine ?I have no idea what she said? Schmitz.
I do in fact like Eddie Jordan, he is a hero of mine from his F1 team ownership days, and I also used to love watching him on the BBC F1 pre/post coverage alongside DC and Jake Humphrey. I don?t know if it is the show?s scripting but he is made out to be the Dunsfold village idiot and I don?t care for that.
As for the rest of the show, the cheap car challenge ?. Well they lost me right from the get go. The Tesla video was OK, but nothing to write home about.

By Top Gear standards, wait, by Fifth Gear standards this episode gets a 5. And it gets a 5 because of the Prof. B.Cox and AM Vulcan bonuses. This is the best score for me for season 23. Unfortunately this is still the only thing I watch on TV, at least until The Grand Tour premier.

Chris Harris feels like he's trying to copy Jeremy's style of car review. He even used some phrases commonly found in Jeremy's reviews. Not that the Harris' review was bad, it just makes me want to watch old New Top Gear more.

I don't get Eddie Jordan. He feels like a tramp that's wandered onto set. With spoons.

Chris Evans was more annoyingly shouty than ever before. The only person I felt for that entire hour was the water taxi driver telling Chris to calm down. Even the Italians are annoyed with him!

I agree that the cheap car challenge is dead. Top Gear did the car vs train challenge before. They had the blueprint. And set fire to it. Then pasted pages from a Jane Austen novel over its charred remains.

3/10. Disappointing.

Reids Tesla review was good. His comment about the car still being dirty was a bit off, since even from dirty energy it's still cleaner than petrol cars. Petrol cars are very inefficient.

The show is still too shouty in every way: Evans, the music, the coloring, the studio public, most of the cars. It's like they have a saturation knob that's on 11 all the time. They need to relax.

Just downloaded it, my thoughts during the whole show.

- a purebred racing car that's so out of whack that it's not road legal is faster... than a road legal car, no shit.

- Chris Harris out of element in that review, he should stick to what he's good at and not try to copy Clarkson

- CE not doing the Stig jokes, sounds almost like he's back benched

- CE's commenting on the lap sounds terrible

- Sabine, bless her, just seems to be a hood ornament due to her lacking English/narration skills

- Eddie is a fantastic guy and a great guy to listen to, just not in this setting

- CE's ring tone being Jessica is terrible and over the top, you know what this whole segment is terrible and over the top. /fast forward

- SIARPC (or what it's called these days), CE is too lightweight for that /fast forward

- Rory is killing it, again. Best part of the show, again. I want more of this.

- more train segment /fast forward (what, bond music? Overdone)

Final Verdict: over done, over acted, still a terrible non-intelligent rip off, we're getting less and less CE which is good but he's still in it which is bad. Everyone felt outside their comfort zone apart from Rory.

3/10

Last edited:
A very disappointing episode, especially the train race it was dull. They didn?t properlly present their cras....

Rori seems to be the only part that can be saved.

CE, to shouty
MLB, to boring
SS, just a girl who drives fast

Not shure I will take the trouble to watch it next week,

Cheers

No poll? Anyway unlike apparently everyone else on Final Gear I really liked that episode. Sabine was unpolished in her in camera chatter but I was okay with that and it was quite a cool way of combining the race with the cheap car challenge. I was thinking about giving it an 8 but I thought it ended on a high note so I'll say 9.

Sabine cooked her food on the INTAKE manifold of her Audi, and yet it supposedly cooked through. And wouldn't Sabine and Evans' food have gotten cold by the time Matt showed up? Best part was when Evans burned his hand on the exhaust. But the whole thing was a mess. They hardly talked about their cars. Sabine, as much as I love her, seemed awkward and forced, they showed her giggling way too much, and everything Matt says and does reeks of being scripted. They didn't even explain why they had to push start the bike. And in the end, they really didn't give a good comparison of the cars. Supposedly, since Sabine blew most of her money on her car and had to run the last leg, she was going to lose. But instead, this consequence caused her to win the race. However, the point of the challenge was to travel in luxury, and sprinting through Venice in the dark defeats the purpose.

Harris's review of the Vulcan was alright, but nothing really stood out. The Naughty Times board is fucking stupid. And if they're gonna use it, they should include all the times Clarkson had to throw out for cars that weren't road-legal. SIARPC was agonizingly drawn-out, as we've come to expect.

Had my hopes up after the last episode, but this was a massive step backwards. The only salvation was Rory's Tesla bit. Woulda given it a 3/10, but I give it a 5 thanks to Rory and Chris.

I watched, for want of anything better to do; Evans still seriously grates, LeBlanc charms but to an obvious script, Jordan irritates, and Sabine is fun but the fractured English counts against her.

Harris' opening film about the AM Vulcan was a stunner visually, but that was about it. The 'race' with the chefs however was a poor attempt to repeat things that had gone before. Guest segment was a bit shorter, but still needs pruning down.

As someone has already said, the whole show seems too loud somehow- it's just noise, noise, noise now.

There is clearly never going to be any genuine repartee between this mish-mash of presenters.

3/10

I will repeat myself every week I guess, keep Rory Reids and Chris Harris they are the only ones who shares some chemistry and seems passionate about their work. For the others it is just a part time job like being DJ at a springbreak or screaming prices at an auction.

If I was the BBC I would even let those two choose a third presenter by themselves.

Last edited:
Vulcan - Cool car but I didn't enjoy Harris as much in this review as I did last week, he was trying too hard and the audio editing was also not good, couldn't hear him a few times. Even though there was the odd damp patch the track time looked really slow, other non road legal cars have been around in 1:10 ish.

Cheap cars/race - I can see what they were trying to do; create some comedy at the start and tension at the end with a bit of a race. Neither worked and the whole thing fell flat on its face and was boring. I do like Sabine but she doesn't pull off either the in studio presenting or having fun in a challenge that well.

SIARC - Only good thing to say was it wasn't as long as last weeks 19 minutes.

Tesla - Possibly the best part although not as good as the hot hatch review last week.

I still can't get on with the presenters applauding everything and each other, the Naughty lap time board is ridiculous, using EJ as the looney old man doesn't work (although he is), a lot of the studio stuff still looks far too wooden and for some reason Harris and Reid don't look comfortable on the main set, and Evans is still Evans sadly.

5/10 - A definite backward step from last week, don't think I laughed once during the whole show which I can never remember doing before this series.

Last edited: