No Big Star, Small Car segment this season?

Squeezer

Has anyone else noticed that I don't think there has been a Big Star, Small Car segment this season. Did they stop doing that segment? Not popular enough to get any stars on?

It seems like they have eliminated the studio altogether. Can't say I miss it in this format, though I would sorely miss the studio on the British one.

Can't say I miss it. I like TG US but they don't have the same dynamic as the British trio that allows them to riff off each other in the News and none of them is a natural interviewer whereas at least Clarkson had a short-lived chat show so he has a vague idea of what he is doing. Hopefully they'll still use a Stig for the odd film.

I can't confirm it because I don't have a link (one of the three presenters tweeted it I think), but I'm pretty sure the studio segments, as well as Big Star Small Car, will be back during the second portion of the season, which is eight episodes.

I don't like BSSC so I don't miss it, but I really don't care for SIARPC on the original show either.

Don't see a reason why they would drop Big Star, Small Car. What celebrity wouldn't want to be on a show where they make small talk, talk about their cars, and tool around in a $15,000 Suzuki hatch for a few laps? I think it appeals more to celebrities who enjoy interviews in a relax environment and promote whatever projects they have to broader audience.

Besides, I've seen bigger stars on lesser shows than this.

Last edited:
It seems like they have eliminated the studio altogether. Can't say I miss it in this format, though I would sorely miss the studio on the British one.

+1. I don't miss it in the slightest from the US format.

As mentioned above, believe it will be back later on this season. First 6 episodes are non-studio.

I can't confirm it because I don't have a link (one of the three presenters tweeted it I think), but I'm pretty sure the studio segments, as well as Big Star Small Car, will be back during the second portion of the season, which is eight episodes.

As mentioned above, believe it will be back later on this season. First 6 episodes are non-studio.

Yeah, I think Adam or Rutledge tweeted something to that effect ages ago.

Big Star Small Car never worked for me but I only watch 1 in 5 of the UK ones and Clarkson does a great interview. If it were me... I think I would take BSSC and use it for a season end studio episode. Or maybe replace it with something more uniquely american (out run a cop in a crown vic). With the short episode (may they kill %80 of the recap) BSSC and the studio bits break the flow a little to much for me. Even if they were to do 2 special episodes each season that were 'round the track' and 'BSSC' with maybe a review it would work better for me.

Not sure that the studio needs to be part of TGUS... part of me thinks they can do away with the studio entirely and leave a unique show.

Seems like it's a combination of a challenge and then the winner gets to (or the loser HAS to) drive something cool and or not cool. Definitely an improvement

Don't miss it at all, I fast forward through it on the UK version with the exception of Leno, I can't stand celebrities anyway, not having them ruin a show I adore is a big party bonus.

I don't miss the studio segments, although I would like them to incorporate Stig into some of the films. My feeling is that the pacing of the show was greatly improved by removing the studio bits, especially as the effective running time is shorter for TGUS compared to TGUK due commercial breaks and the classic US TV recaps of what happened 5 minutes ago. The film segments don't feel as rushed now.

Overall, I've been enjoying the latest season of TGUS a lot. The show feels fresh, there were quite a few great original ideas and even the ones borrowed from UK managed to stay interesting.

Glad they ditched it. Works fine on the original Top Gear but even then it's often one of the weakest segments.

I hated the rename. Seriously? Did they think we couldn't pronounce "reasonably?" Bollocks.

So, nothing was really lost. Maybe if they had a less...autocrossy? looking track? Heh.

More Stig would be win, though. Just sayin'.

I hated the rename. Seriously? Did they think we couldn't pronounce "reasonably?" Bollocks.

So you probably felt the same way about "Star In A Bog-Standard Car" too.

The big problem for me is/was...Where is the big star, shouldn't it be D list in a small car ?

probably thought it was 'too wordy' for american audiences.

The big problem for me is/was...Where is the big star, shouldn't it be D list in a small car ?
I don't know how many episodes they've introduced their star and i respond with 'who?'

I think the biggest problem with big star small car is that if you were really a big star you would go on the real Top Gear, the 3 USA guys aren't very good at interviews either really though Tanner never did an interview so it's hard to judge.