[03x01] August 14th, 2012

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Please stay on-topic. :)

I thought it was fairly good actually, even if it wasn't the fairest of comparisons, heh. :)

The B-roll for the getaway bit was really great. looked professional. Also, I was excited to see them talk about these cars. The Caprice looked really nice.

I quite liked it. Maybe not the best episode this show has had, but still good.

When I first read the description on my TV guide, I thought it was going to be like the "Making a better police car: how hard can it be?" challenge from Top Gear UK (which I enjoyed a lot). Still, it was interesting to watch. Loved the Crown Victoria bit at the beginning.

I was kind of hoping the Dodge would win (coming from a guy who prefers Fords). Such a mean-looking car. That's not to say the Ford and the Chevy are not intimidating either...

8/10

Last edited:
I liked this episode, but I hated how after they get back to the show the recaps...

Is it necessary to repeat the same thing 4 times?

I liked the Stig driving the Honda and smoking them at the beginning!

Last edited:
Great episode. A simple concept, and executed very well.

Not a bad start at all. I liked the bit with the z06 and the cop car trio was pretty good. Overall a good start to show's third series.

7/10

Last edited:
Great start to the season. Lots of funny one liners from all involved and it didn't feel scripted. The three have definitely gotten better at delivering lines and talking off the cuff. "Tanner looks like a police officer washed in hot water."

The Z06 chase was stunning. Amazing driving by Tanner especially at the end coming off that bridge. The whole chase reminded me of Gone in 60 Seconds.

I agree with the above comment about all of the recaps after the break. Please, stop putting these in. It is getting as bad as Mythbusters which I think is now 50% show, 50% recap.

Overall, 9/10.

Some excellent Top Gear tonight, well worth the watch! I quite enjoyed the hosts' enthusiasm for their cars, as well as the much improved camera work. I can only hope that the rest of the series follows the same trend!

Strong 8

Loved the end chase, very well filmed. Can't wait to see what else this season has to offer.

But yeah, I agree that those recaps are getting old. If you just tuned in halfway through an episode and missed half the stuff, it's your own damn fault.

Pretty good. With it only be 40 mins or so it actually helps to not have studio time. Though studio time makes TGUK much more enjoyable if TGUS is going to only be an hour with commericals then they may need to cut studio time from most of the shows.

That was very enjoyable to watch, especially the final chase. I don't miss the studio bits at all and the guys seem more relaxed and less forced with each other.

It was Tanner's "drift face" on the final turn of the chase that put the episode over the top for me. With his tongue pushing out his lower lip and his steely stare, it's an expression of pure joy and intense concentration, not to mention silly as all heck. I hope someone makes a .gif of it.

It was Tanner's "drift face" on the final turn of the chase that put the episode over the top for me. With his tongue pushing out his lower lip and his steely stare, it's an expression of pure joy and intense concentration, not to mention silly as all heck. I hope someone makes a .gif of it.
He has troubles keeping his tongue in his mouth. He mentions something about that in the setup for the STI vs. dirtbike race...

At approx 30:00 Tanner threw his doughnut out the window. Naughty boy.

Though studio time makes TGUK much more enjoyable if TGUS is going to only be an hour with commericals then they may need to cut studio time from most of the shows.
Till it was mentioned here, I didn't even notice the missing studio time. They're not (yet?) all that good at live audience stuff and maybe they don't really need it, since the intro without it was fun with Stig leaving the police cars spinning about in his Honda dust! IMO the TGUK team do the studio stuff better and, apart from some awful SIARPCs that'd be best left out, it's a favourite part of the UK show for me.

I was impressed overall I thought the three came together very well had strong banter that felt much more natural than previous seasons. I also felt that the camera work edits and production were all there where in past it was off on one or two. I'm going higher on this episode than in past ranking it a 9/10 more in that they did what they did well and didn't try to do the things that just don't work for them.

Absolutely great start to the season, really intimidating police cars that I would like to see used by the force. I would like to have seen more of them though, and probably put to some better paces.

The Z06 film was amazing, really enjoyed it and really makes me wish that some police forces were like in NFS: HP (2010), but that's totally out of practicality and budget. Still, superb driving from both drivers.

8/10