Top Gear Russia

Whoa! A Niva with alloys! Cool!!

No, seriously. I saw what happened when thye tried to copy Top Gear in Bulgaria - utter disaster! The presenters all tried to copy Jeremy and his humor, which I am sorry only works if you are British. And then there was the problem of budget. The most expensive car they tested on the test track (read: deserted military airfield, with tarmac that hasn't been maintained for years) was a SL65 AMG which they borrowed from a dealership. They didn't dare drive it fast or spin the wheels, because the tires costed $600 and they didn't want to ruin them. Pathetic!

So, umm, what happened with this OP? Turned out to be fake? :lmao:

So, umm, what happened with this OP? Turned out to be fake? :lmao:
As I said earlier, we got a letter from the representative of the production house with a request to remove the entry from this thread and our web-site - I don't want to sabotage their plans, work and liability, so I agreed - but they promised to provide us with some unique information when time will come.

This still sounds like BS to me, of all the countries they could choose, why Russia? It's not like it has any good cars to offer. And their isn't a big audience there. This won't be official TG anyway, maybe some cheap rip off of the show.

Edit: Just a quick thought, how would someone from a TV production house get the name and address of someone on a Forum? Very fishy.

Last edited:
I know, it's confusing. Definitely deserves a place on ?What were they thinking?? board )

Edit: Just a quick thought, how would someone from a TV production house get the name and address of someone on a Forum? Very fishy.

They sent on the e-mail, which easily founds in ?About the site? section )

This still sounds like BS to me, of all the countries they could choose, why Russia? It's not like it has any good cars to offer. And their isn't a big audience there. This won't be official TG anyway, maybe some cheap rip off of the show.

What do you mean why Russia? Because it's a huge country with a big TV viewing population, perhaps?

It's not about what cars that country makes... it's not like Top Gear UK feature only British cars.

I'm not totally convinced, but you can't use the fact that it's in Russia as a sign it's not credible.

They sent on the e-mail, which easily founds in ?About the site? section )

Okay, but don't say it's a letter then. :)

It's not about what cars that country makes... it's not like Top Gear UK feature only British cars.

TG isn't all about British cars, but we have supercars and such. I can think of one Russian manufacturer - Lada. And to quote Hammond, what they make is "about as interesting as that tree."

I still find this extremely hard to believe at all. I already think that TG will start going downhill if it associates itself too much with TG America and TG Aus, so having 4 versions of TG seems overkill. Someone's had a light headed moment, or the OP's source makes shit up.

And I'm sure that if we keep this thread open, Andy Wilman will clear all of this up for us. ;)

Sorry if it sounds harsh, hate the idea really. :|

I can't even imagine that this TopGear Russia thing could possibly be true without it being mentioned on topgear.com . The Aussie and American versions were both mentioned on topgear.com when they were announced.

I can think of one Russian manufacturer - Lada.
Five more:
GAZ - usually known to us as Volga, and also now the owners of LDV.
Moskvitch - if they still exist in any useful form.
UAZ - makers of chunky military vehicles.
Izh - makers of a bad copy of the Lada Samara, and AK-47 assault rifles.
ZIL - makers of the massive Brezhnev-era limousines.

And let's not forget the Ukrainians. When we were laughing at all the Eastern Bloc cars, the Soviet Union laughed at the Zaporozhets.

^there's a lot more than one little problem with that show...

I just think it'll be crap, that's all. Prove me wrong Russian dudes

I can't even imagine that this TopGear Russia thing could possibly be true without it being mentioned on topgear.com . The Aussie and American versions were both mentioned on topgear.com when they were announced.

Apparently this hasn't been officially announced yet so you won't see anything on the site. Like I said, I'm sure Andy will say somthing about it.

As for those manufacturers, they don't exactly stand up against any of the manufacturers on the UK or US versions, or even the Aus version, because they have lots of Aus-specific cars from US manufacturers (Falcon).

^there's a lot more than one little problem with that show...

What better excuse to not watch it.

no offence to Russians on the forum here, but I say have no to TG Russia. I would be affraid that the show would quickly run out of steam and interesting ideas or that it would suffer from idea copying from one show to the other, if there is going to be four simultaneous shows.

Let TG UK do a Russian special episode, not a whole new show.

Got back my erased entries, I think there is no need to play confidentiality games now, it's all clear know. Waiting for official approvement on TG.com.

I hope, it won't look something like that:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShCZ2hGlI5Y[/YOUTUBE]

TG Russia would be just a plastic facsimile of the original show. It'll be something I'd never want to watch even in hell. What's next? TG Iran? TG China? I'm horrified that this trend might catch up and we'll see more copies of the show in more countries as it was with TG Mag. The horror...

I'm not sure why everyone's so hateful. I mean, as long as it doesn't suck the quality out of the original UK version why do you care? It's a Russian version of the show, the Russians will handle it and it's intended for the Russians, if it's crap they'll dump it and if it's good, I'm happy for them.

They can go ahead and make Top Gear Nigeria or Top Gear Pakistan for all I care, so long as I get the original UK version in its full goodness. That's the only thing we should care about, not how good the show will fare or why Russia was chosen and not Belgium.

Besides, from what I get there's no official word about it yet so the haters could all slide back into their crevices. Chill people.