Top Gear Russia

I'm curious what Top Gear Russia will be like. It sounds like a good combination of the well-known and beloved Top Gear UK format and some original ideas from Russia. I hope some people will provide subtitles so we can really see if the programme is good enough to be bothered to learn Russian. It would be a good excuse:D

Last edited:
I think I actually am looking forward to this. I've never seen Russian TV programmes before so at least it will be something new.

Yeah, this could be good or at least interesting.
Good luck Russian Dudes. :thumbup:

TopGear Russia: Debuts February 22nd.

TopGear America: Nowhere to be seen.

Russia wins again. Its like Sputnik all over again.

That part interests me the most!

Fond of skeleton? In fact it's a mistake in translation, because Albert Demchenko is an Olympic medallist not in skeleton but in bobslay.

And as far as Russian celebrities are concerned, I'm afraid you won't see plenty of really interesting people on the show - there'll be mostly representatives of pop culture :( and one solidly built deputy from the State Duma (Russian analog for the House of Commons) :mrgreen:.

Last edited:
To those that don't know
Skeleton :

Canfield_skeleton.jpg

also :

Skeleton2.jpg

What these guys (Fomenko and so forth) have to do with humour. I thought that it's an essential part of TopGear.

I'd rather see Zhyrinovskii on that programme. :)

You shouldn't be worried about Fomenko's humour! He has a vast experience in it.
For instance, in the early 90-s he used to host the first strip show on Russian TV called "Empire of Passion". You can watch a part of its series here on YouTube (in Russian).
Then, Nikolay used to be a radio DJ on the radiostation "Russkoje Radio" (Russian Radio), where he had 40 or 50 his own jokes recorded which were repeated before commercials. Check one of them on YouTube (in Russian).
Also, in the 90-s Fomenko used to dub American wrestling shows for Russian television. And he did it with humour and irony as well (also in Russian).

And by the way, this is a Wikipedia article about Nikolay Fomenko (in English, at last:D).

Last edited:
It seems, that for true TG fans a 10-episode season of Top Gear Russian Edition isn't an object of interest at all. :(
For instance, James May's Smart, 1000 uses for JM, JM's T-shirts and, perhaps, even colour of his pants are MUCH more important! :mrgreen:

Hmm, Fomenko has gotten quite old in the 12 years since that strip show. It looks promising though, I will watch the first one at least.

Sorry if people aren't that interested on these boards, but we're pretty stubborn in our views. Pretty much nobody is following Oz and James series 3 either, because it's a bit of an obscure drinking show with a weird, old bald guy.

What have they done in terms of advertising for the show in Russia? Do you guys have a license fee system like parts of Europe and the UK? Over here that doesn't exist and so good advertising is one of the most important factors for a new show.

Hmm, Fomenko has gotten quite old in the 12 years since that strip show.
You know, I had the same thought when I found that video on the internet. I guess it is mostly besause of those FIA GT-N races. Nickolay wasn't a professional driver and perhaps he wasn't in a phisical shape for the races when he started. But on the other hand Alex Vasiliev and Fomenko were the very first Russian drivers in races of such a high level and the whole country admired them.

What have they done in terms of advertising for the show in Russia?
Almost nothing, I have to admit. In fact there have been just a couple of press-releases on REN TV site: one in November when the contract with BBC was sighned, the other a week ago - which announced TG RE start and had a general discription of the show and the hosts. No special advertising has yet been made.

Do you guys have a license fee system like parts of Europe and the UK? Over here that doesn't exist and so good advertising is one of the most important factors for a new show.
In Russia most TV channels are broadcasted free because some of them are state-owned and others earn from advertising (REN TV is one of second). And this makes the absence of TG RE adverticements look wierd to me.

Last edited:
From mytopgear.ru by MadOnion

In the broadcast on 22 February at 19:00 on REN TV

Guys will need to change their personal cars to each other! Who will get Porsche from 1985 year, who Range Rover, and who Mazda? Which of the cars show the best result, when behind the wheel will be our russian test pilot Stig?
The second test - the race in St.Petersbourg: Fomenko on ?Porsche? trying to overtake a boat, this ?Checkmate Stilletto? of Michael Petrovskiy! ?Porsche? faster times, but the channel is, in contrast to the streets of St. Petersburg, no traffic jams and accidents. Who will take the win?
A third test is happening at a secret track - this is a test-drive the product of domestic car ?Lada Kalina?, which invited local celebrities.

That will be interesting!

http://img13.imageshack.**/img13/796/tgrvnewsht6.jpg

There is small TG:RV media blowout.
News report from filming, video-opening and tv-promo.

As long as it's not from youtube, I couldn't embed it here
So please follow here :)

Thanks for posting that MadOnion... Will be very interesting to see the show .... only a couple of days to go... Hopefully we'll be able to catch it outside Russia :)

Only 2 more days! Cannot Wait!

If the subtitling project works, I'm looking forward to watching it. If not, watching screaming Russians is still cool. There is some random cooking show on the channel right now.

Looks like the reasonably priced car is a Lada...! :lol:

This should be interesting...

So today is the showtime! I canceled all of my meetings and its affairs just to watching to it.
The date: 21.00
The place: Ren-TV Russia
Don't miss it!

Ermm :huh:
It's gonna be tomorrow, February 22.
And the time is 19:00 for all time zones in Russia, I suppose.
At least in my region (GMT+5) that is the time.