Production GT-R SMASHES 'ring record.

The GTR is a great car, but some people don't like having a computer smooth out all their inputs and bumps in the road. It makes them feel like they're not in control of the car.

You didn't read a thing about how a GT-R works, did you? Fool, count me as a fanboy if you want but get the computer controlled misconception out of your head, the GT-R is no more technically advanced than a 'vette with magnetic suspension.

You didn't read a thing about how a GT-R works, did you? Fool, count me as a fanboy if you want but get the computer controlled misconception out of your head, the GT-R is no more computer controlled than a 'vette with magnetic suspension.

Here is my problems with the GT-R.

Its too complicated. It has 2 driveshafts, a DSG gearbox and 14 CV joints.

Yes, its blisteringly fast. Good job Nissan.

Oh, and the Z06 doesn't have magnetic shocks :p

Since the 911 lunatics/fanatics won't give it a rest, I thought I'd add a bit to my previous rant. The 911 Turbo can be purchased with an optional SLUSH BOX :barf: :sick: Not only is that slower to shift than DSG (by a lot) it's also very much an option for people who are a bit light in their loafers! Many cars now come with flappy paddles, and though I prefer a stick, it's looking like this is the way of the future, so it's appropriate in this car. Most people here will never drive it anyways, nor will they ever drive a Porsche, so give it a rest. The horse is dead, beating it won't make it get back up.

Nissan has made something that for a short time is the king... and it is introducing a V-spec version supposedly in 2010 that's supposed to be even faster. I'm not a huge fan of this car for various reasons, but I respect it greatly, and see it as an amazing piece of machinery. I certainly wouldn't mind driving or owning one, nor would I mind passing someone on a 2 lane highway, where performance matters, or racing on some deserted four lane (not that I ever disobey the speed limit or laws :burnrubber: ). The truth of the matter is, the Nissan is faster in everything but braking than a top of the line 911 Turbo with Carbon Ceramic brakes, and it will most likely go on sale when it's released, for somewhere around $50,000 less than the 911 Turbo...

Feel free to have a cerebral hemorrhage over my "dissing" your beloved rear engined crash machines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryjnhIXKxII

Here is my problems with the GT-R.

Its too complicated. It has 2 driveshafts, a DSG gearbox and 14 CV joints.

Yes, its blisteringly fast. Good job Nissan.

Oh, and the Z06 doesn't have magnetic shocks :p

dunno if you were correcting me from a while back, but I did check, and although the Z06 did get a suspension update, it didn't get magnetic shocks.

So you're right about the Z06 not having them.

...but the ZR1 does have them, so fridge is right in his statement :p

My brother test drove a DSG GTI and he said it was jerky went starting out.

Same here. We test drove the dsg r32 golf and i saw it change down 4 gears without feeling a gear shift. Same story off the line. Infact, the only noticeable gear change is hammering it in first and it shifting into second.

Even though the dsg is super fast and super smooth, i still wouldn't but it since your not involved with the driving so it would get boring. Plus, the automatic modes weren't that great. In "D", the gearbox would still go through a community meeting before deciding which gear to go in, "S" mode will only shift at 5k rpm. The tiptronic modes were even worse. You can't use the flappy paddles while turning and the shifter on the floor is backwards

Last edited:
Ugh, I dont like it. And the more people I see telling my why I HAVE TO like it the more I hate it.
Pretty fast though, still leaves me unimpressed.

Who is saying you have to like it? :?

All i see here is people disliking something simply because they don't understand it.

It's too complicated, it has too many cv joints, it has electronics, it uses witchcraft... oohhh burn it.

How medieval do you want to be?

How medieval do you want to be?

lol leafsprings!!

Joking aside.. I love cars for what they are! I bet the GTR is an excellent car and i would love to drive one, But an Atom or a Lotus are also great cars but very different. My favorite car is still the Corvette which also comes with a flappy paddle gearbox if you want one..

lol leafsprings!!

Joking aside.. I love cars for what they are! I bet the GTR is an excellent car and i would love to drive one, But an Atom or a Lotus are also great cars but very different. My favorite car is still the Corvette which also comes with a flappy paddle gearbox if you want one..

wait, it does?

huh, you learn something new every day...

when did they start doing that anyway? ...because I could have SWORN the only option was stick

I'm struggling to find where they mention anything other than a H pattern manual in the 2008 C6...

Last edited:
Paddle Automatics = FAIL

I'm driving a car with a paddle automatic at the moment for work and it sucks a big fat cocksickle.

Oh, so its a manumatic <_<

would be somewhat interesting if it was some kind of DSG

...but fail

Can I go back to something?

What record is this again? Record for cars with 4 seats (is it a 2+2)? Because I was sure the production car record was under 7 minutes.

the R35 is the first full-run production car under 7:30.

What does that mean? Full-run? What the hell is a "full-run"?

Anyone else get the feeling that if this same car was produced by a small european sportscar manufacturer it would get a different reception?

Are you ready?

The Radical SR8 owns the production car record for a lap of N?rburgring Nordschleife at 6:55. The lap was in road trim including being on road tyres.

the GT-R is no more technically advanced than a 'vette with magnetic suspension.

AWD + slushbox = fail

If it was my supercar that I was buying, I would also prefer an NA engine, or at least something a bit more exotic then a V6 with a couple big turbos slapped on. Coming from Australia, you probably don't find V8's anymore interesting then V6's, but I would still prefer 2 extra cylinders then 2 extra turbos.

Like everyone else, I still have an enormous amount of respect for Nissan and what they accomplished with the new GT-R. But I will never, ever, see a 6,000lb 4seater with AWD and an automatic transmission as a much of a drivers car, no matter how fast it can drive around the NRing.

What does that mean? Full-run? What the hell is a "full-run"?

As in they mass produce 10s of thousands of them. Not some kit car made in a shed.

The Radical SR8 owns the production car record for a lap of N?rburgring Nordschleife at 6:55. The lap was in road trim including being on road tyres.

I don't understand how the Radical SR8 is road legal, must be some peculiarity of uk road laws. It has no ground clearance, no roof, and no basic safety devices. It is essentially an all-out track car. You could never get it road registered in australia and i suspect a lot of other countries would be the same. Don't think i am just making this up to defend the gtr. The SR8 is an awesomely fast track car but it's record has always been contentious as it bends the rules a long way from what most people would consider a full production proper road car. A lot of people do not acknowledge the time because of this and put it in the category of race-car which it rightfully belongs.

The nissan is a comfortable car that can be driven by anyone, anywhere, anytime.

If it was my supercar that I was buying, I would also prefer an NA engine, or at least something a bit more exotic then a V6 with a couple big turbos slapped on. Coming from Australia, you probably don't find V8's anymore interesting then V6's, but I would still prefer 2 extra cylinders then 2 extra turbos.

I understand what you are saying but i don't think it is in the price range to get a super exotic NA engine like in a ferrari, lambo or AM. Also porsche seem to do quite well with 6 cylinder engines with turbo's slapped on as you put it.

I will never, ever, see a 6,000lb 4seater with AWD and an automatic transmission as a much of a drivers car, no matter how fast it can drive around the NRing.

It's 3800lb and to be fair is a 2+2 which is common among sports cars. I'm still not sold on the transmission myself but please explain the negative aspects of the gtr awd system as you see it.

Last edited:
It's 3800lb and to be fair is a 2+2 which is common among sports cars. I'm still not sold on the transmission myself but please explain the negative aspects of the gtr awd system as you see it.
I think he just doesn't like AWD. I seen a few people like that who berrate me for driving a Quattro instead of an RWD.