International Engine of The Year Award

MadCow809

Forum Addict
And it goes to BMW again. Yawn... they must be tired getting all these awards, year after year since 1999. Most of these engines have won several awards, especially the 1.5l hybrid engine in the Prius, its the 3rd year that it has won the best fuel economy/green engine award.

International Engine of the Year Awards 2008 winners:

# International Engine of the Year
BMW 3.0-litre twin-turbo (135i, 335i, X6)

# Best New Engine of the Year
BMW 2.0-litre diesel twin-turbo (123d)

# Green Engine of the Year
Toyota 1.5-litre Hybrid Synergy Drive (Prius)

# Best Performance Engine
Porsche 3.6-litre Turbo (911 Turbo and 911 GT2)

# Sub 1.0-litre
Toyota 1.0-litre (Toyota Aygo and Yaris, Peugeot 107, Citro?n C1, Subaru Justy)

# 1.0-litre to 1.4-litre
Volkswagen 1.4-litre TSI Twincharger (Golf, Touran, Tiguan and Jetta)

# 1.4-litre to 1.8-litre
BMW-PSA 1.6-litre Turbo (Mini Cooper S and Clubman, Peugeot 207 and 308)

# 1.8-litre to 2.0-litre
Volkswagen/Audi 2.0-litre Turbo (Audi A3, A4, A6 and TT; Volkswagen Eos, Jetta and Golf GTi; Seat Altea and Leon; Skoda Octavia)

# 2.0-litre to 2.5-litre
Subaru 2.5-litre Turbo (Forester, Impreza, Outback and Legacy)

# 2.5-litre to 3.0-litre
BMW 3.0-litre twin-turbo (135i, 335i, X6)

# 3.0-litre to 4.0-litre
BMW 4.0-litre V8 (M3)

# Above 4.0-litre
BMW 5.0-litre V10 (M5, M6)

link
wiki version

Last edited:
Woohoo! Subaru is back with the EJ25! Too bad a lot of countries get taxed on anything over 2 liters, they would really enjoy this engine with it's gobs of torque.

umm, yay? Does not matter much to me, but, i guess its +10 for my e-penis that my cars engine happens to be on that list =P

well thats if you are insecure about your dick size.

As for us engine lovers, it matters. engine > car for me.

As for us engine lovers, it matters. engine > car for me.

Pfft, power monger

the VW 1.4 TSI is on that list thus making the entire list look a bit stupid, i haven't really read great things about that engine and i have to imagine this list was made more by people who look at numbers and graphs all day rather then people who actually drive cars.

Hmmm might as well rename it the BMW award. Funny thing is, the BMW v8/v10 aren't that impressive, they get worse fuel economy, way more, make less torque, no more power, and pollute more than the competition. I fail to see how they should be the engine of the year.

I vote LS6 454. Yes it may be over 30 years old, but it beats the crap out of any of these engines.

(sorry, but my friend just got his Malibu insured and it's got a 454 and now I'm realy jelous)

the only engines i agree with there are the BMW 3.0 twin turbo (it is a great engine you cant deny) and the 2.0TFSI engines they put in just about everything.... theyre very smooth, strong pulling (for a 4 pot), sound pretty good and they seem to be able to get very nice amounts of power from it.... its certainly a potent engine having used one in my aunts Leon FR.

the rest though, well i couldnt care less but i dont think the prius engine should be there

and i find it odd how theres no diesels....

Merc's V6 diesels are very good and my personal favourite is another joint effort between ford and PSA.... a 1.6liter TDCi , 110bhp, plenty of torque and since its a 1.6 u get pretty awesome milage. i drove a focus with that engine and i kid u not i was banging on the door of 60mpg with a 5 spd box as well. its not a weak or slow engine either, it really can make the focus shift!

one day ill probably own a Citroen C4 VTR Plus with that engine because it seems like a great combo. (manufacturer claims 70mpg is possible.... but yeah, i dont think so)

another good diesel.... Lexus 2.2 diesel... 400Nm of torque and nigh on 180bhp.

pah, BMW again. I think the VW TFSI is alot older and puts out over 100 hp/l.
Getting 170 hp out of a 1.4l >>> getting 300 hp out of a twin turbo 3.0 L

Why aren't there more diesels there? Almost all of the "new" 2.0 L diesels put out around 170hp, coupled with massive tyre shredding torque.

Hmmm might as well rename it the BMW award. Funny thing is, the BMW v8/v10 aren't that impressive, they get worse fuel economy, way more, make less torque, no more power, and pollute more than the competition. I fail to see how they should be the engine of the year.

? Linear power delivery, redline likes crazy, sharp engine/throttle response.... and more hp per litre than other non induction cars. Whats not to like? :|

And, let's not mention this is one of the most prestigious award you can get, BMW have been pretty dominant in other engine awards as well. Has the world gone mad? :rolleyes:

btw, that new turbo diesel engine of theirs is really something, 204bhp from a 2litre turbo diesel is quite an achievement. We will probably see 123d in race guise in the future, seeing as everything is trying to switch to diesel race cars.

Last edited:
pah, BMW again. I think the VW TFSI is alot older and puts out over 100 hp/l.
Getting 170 hp out of a 1.4l >>> getting 300 hp out of a twin turbo 3.0 L

Why aren't there more diesels there? Almost all of the "new" 2.0 L diesels put out around 170hp, coupled with massive tyre shredding torque.

Statistics on paper don't mean a whole lot, I assume based on your comments you haven't actually driven a 335i or 135i so you don't actually know just how good it actually is.

Statistics on paper don't mean a whole lot, I assume based on your comments you haven't actually driven a 335i or 135i so you don't actually know just how good it actually is.

I don't know how good it is. But that's not the point.
What I'm saying is that more revolutionary things are happening with diesel engines, and I think the carmakers should be applauded for making a relatively small engine make 204 hp (BMW 2 liter engine). That's 100hp/l + from a diesel!

It's a lot easier turbocharging the crap out of a petrol engine to make it go faster...

I was under the impression that it was, production cars have been sold to customers, with ridiculous markups i might add, we're talking murcielago prices

? Linear power delivery, redline likes crazy, sharp engine/throttle response.... and more hp per litre than other non induction cars. Whats not to like? :|

And, let's not mention this is one of the most prestigious award you can get, BMW have been pretty dominant in other engine awards as well. Has the world gone mad? :rolleyes:

HP/litre is still the most useless argument on the planet. I don't doubt it's a great sports car engine, all the bmw's I've driven all have smooth torque curves and nice throttle response (though their older engines are shit for response in the low revs).

But as I said before, they are HEAVY (the 5.0 v10 weighs as much as a 50's cast iron GM/Ford v8 with another 1.5L), their V8's are the heaviest on the market, they aren't particularly clean burning (which makes the hp/litre argument even dumber), nor are they fuel efficient or compact.

Their negatives outweigh their positives by far. I can't vouch for their diesels, BMW won't bring them to us.

I was under the impression that it was, production cars have been sold to customers, with ridiculous markups i might add, we're talking murcielago prices

Few have had the chance to actually drive a car with the engine, it would be unfair to give an engine award without it. For all we know it could shake and rattle worse than a ww2 era tractor.

the first ZR1 sold back in january for a million. that means it was made :p but i agree it should be there somewhere. but i know someone with pens in there shift pocket would laugh with a lisp and say ......... "pushrods"

Err aren't the BMW v8 and v10 variants of older F1 motors??

No, the v8 is based on the v10, and both are built "in the same factory as bmw's f1 engines." If they are based on their F1 engines, then I can see why they haven't won a championship.