Race Driver: GRID

Tried the Demo on PS3 and to be honest I didn't like it at all. I was surprised because I thought I would like it since I liked DiRT on the 360. The graphics don't look like the screenshots at all, common thing with Codemaster Race Driver games, and it just doesn't feel right. The in car view is looking in the right direction, it's aimed down to much, and it reallying looks like they have bad graphics covered up with post-processing which is what I felt from the PC demo of DiRT. They try to use post-processing to cover up stuff and I don't like that at all. I can also see little pixely areas all over the place which annoys the hell out of me.

Screenshots look like the 360 version to me....especially the replays and in-car view.

I agree that the post processing (especially the Bloom effect) is over done, just like it was in DiRT. Thankfully with the PC version you could download an app to turn it down.....and the graphics looked better actually without it. So I don't think they are really trying to hide anything. I think they just dig that effect and crank it up too high for some strange reason.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I know, but it's big for my 1.5mbit line. ;)

True, true.....I think you'll like it though. It kind of reminds me of GT5 meets Need For Speed.

Any links for PC version. I think it's gonna look and performe better, as X360 and PS3 gfx performance is about at GF 7900 level or so.

It's not released on PC yet. Sounds like it will be out later today (5-9).

And it will probably look about the same. The PC and 360 versions of DiRT were just about identical, and this game runs on a updated version of the DiRT engine.

True, true.....I think you'll like it though. It kind of reminds me of GT5 meets Need For Speed.
Yeah, I like it a lot. It's DIRT on tarmac.

I think I'll be buying it for my PS3. It'd look better on my PC, but the variable throttle of the PS3 is just so damn nice. (Wow, can't believe I'll actually be buying a game for a console that I could get for PC...)

Although damn does the rumble sensation suck ass...

Baaaah. Hated DiRT with a passion. It had NO feeling what so ever of driving a car, and the same goes for GRiD. Same piece of sh.... Doesn't anyone at codemasters actually drive a car, so they can give some feedback and say "wow, this sucks donkey juice!" before the game is released? Even the cars in GTA4 are more rewarding to drive. Sheez..

What is really weird about grid it's the steering of the car. It feels like an ON/OFF switch, it's either straight or completely turned. You can't grade the degree of turn with the car making it behave really strangely. Sometimes you think your car won't make the turn so you brake and turn hard and then it turns too much getting you out of the track. And sometimes it's the other way round. :?

^Yep just doesn't feel like I'm driving a car. Too twitchy, too grippy, and the wheel makes it worse. When will consoles ever get a real racing sim. I can't buy a PC just for LFS.

^Yep just doesn't feel like I'm driving a car. Too twitchy, too grippy, and the wheel makes it worse. When will consoles ever get a real racing sim. I can't buy a PC just for LFS.
Well it matter how close you think GT5 or Forza are....
The next versions are going to get closer, but probably not "Pure" Sims.

Just downloaded and played the demo. Steering is a joke. I was fiddling with it for 15 mins, it really does feel like a switch, there is almost no smoothness in turning the car even at 0% deadzone. I made it better by switching linearity to -10, deadzone - 0%, 2nd option below deadzone to 10%, but it's still not even close to the steering level TRD3 had.

Other than that, i've got no complaints. Even at 8AA game runs smoothly. It looks fantastic. . I like the menu, interface, race modes, setup options etc.

I've also discovered a few bugs (after i did 3x 5min races):

1. If you drive into a sand trap and change view a few times, the sand starts to look pixelated and all messed up.
2. If you change advanced control setup during the event several times, driving config (that's only changable via main menu) resets to nothing. Neither a gamepad nor keyboard work. You have to Alt-Tab or Ctrl+alt+ del the game, ingame menu windows pops up and the keyboard starts working. Then you have to restart the whole thing and redo controls confing again, aswell as driving ads etc.

Overall it's shaping up to be a good arcade'ish racing game, but that steering, unless some1 figures out a formula for 100% responce, like it was in TRD3, is killing it for me.
IIRC, McRae Rally Dirt and the latest NFS had the same steering balance/smoothness problem, and some1 posted some sort of a setup that made things playable. Perhaps the same could be done for RDGrid.

Last edited:
Both DiRT and this game were designed for the 360/PS3 controller. Using a wheel just isn't as nice for these games.

But with a controller, they handle much better.

I remember when I first played DiRT on the PC, I thought the handling sucked. Then I hooked up a 360 controller and it was like a night and day improvement.

I'm playing on a Logitech Rumblepad 2 (gamepad), shudn't have that problem. It was best described by Vltros:

What is really weird about grid it's the steering of the car. It feels like an ON/OFF switch, it's either straight or completely turned. You can't grade the degree of turn with the car making it behave really strangely. Sometimes you think your car won't make the turn so you brake and turn hard and then it turns too much getting you out of the track. And sometimes it's the other way round.

I got exactly that with my gamepad.

I'm playing on a Logitech Rumblepad 2 (gamepad), shudn't have that problem. It was best described by Vltros:

I got exactly that with my gamepad.

Yes! And I'm playing with a dual shock 3 (didn't try it with a wheel). I dunno, I played the other "Race Driver" games in my PC using the keyboard. Maybe because in a keyboard it's either pushed or not it felt more normal to me. But with the PS3 I was expecting some sort of "steering" which I couldn't find anywere.

I'm playing on a Logitech Rumblepad 2.

Actually, a lot of people reported unusually sucky steering with Logitech gamepads on DiRT (I used to hang at the DiRT forums alot). It's like an ON/OFF switch, either all the way turned or not. I experienced the exact same thing when I used a regular Xbox controller on PC, then I tried my brothers 360 controller and the handling was great. The steering is much more gradual and pressure sensitive.

Trust me, if you plugged in a 360 controller, it would be like a whole different game. Strange they designed DiRT and GRID like that, but it's true.

Last edited:
Well i guess i'm buying a 360 controller, any link for a good one?

Last edited:
Yet another sucky racing game I can condemn without even trying..