What is a good starter bike??

Bike_with_Training_Wheels.jpg

Better safe than sorry...

CBs are great, just ask this owner* :D

They might be slightly boring, compared to Nortons and Sportsters...but the 750 was the first superbike of its era, combining incredible technology (inline-four SOHC engine? NO WAI), comfort, and features that we take for granted like electric start, mirrors, disc brakes, and even frickin' turn signals.

It was one of the first bikes to kickstart the Japanese motorcycle revolution and dispel the notion that motorcycling has to be fussy, unreliable (Britbikes, here's looking at you) or obnoxious (Harley's here's looking at you). They brought motorcycling to the masses - "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" - and thus were mass-produced to oblivion, which means parts will be notoriously easy to find.

In fact, Honda still makes many of the OEM parts straight from the factory, and great deals on eBay happen all the time. Many owners go for the 836 big bore kit if it gets too boring, and individual K&N carb air filters will wake it up at higher RPMs (which is what I plan to do). Aftermarket parts are still aplenty, and can be easily adapted to 750s and 550s if you're into some minor fabrication work.

And if you are, there's some fun to be had...

CIMG1564.jpg

my-cb-750-custom-chopper-project-3375.jpg

GreivousSR_4.jpg

bobber%208.JPG

CR750cw_side.jpg

They're dirt cheap (a well-preserved one will be under $1500) and wrecked ones can be found in junkyards across the nation, as the entire series ranges over 2 decades 1969-1978 and even to today with the Nighthawk, an excellent starter bike if a bit spartan (front drum brakes? Seriously?).

Plus, you gotta keep me and brockster company so we can share head-gasket-changing secrets. :D

*So what if I haven't actually ridden it in a year? Gimme time, dammit!

well I passed my test in jan and got my first bike in feb so I feel I should really give you my 2pence.

here's my beastie.
n605065082_2822947_8625.jpg

it's a suzuki DL650 vstrom

I choose it for the upright seating position, it goes pretty fast, is comfy and the tank is quite big.
I've been doing about 80-100miles a day this week and it's no problem at all, it has fairly good wind protection and is pretty responsive in all directions. Plus it's ok on dirty tracks and such (it's no KTM).

Just don't forget to factor in a good helmet and clothes/gloves/boots when you go to buy the thing. Not sure how licensing works state side but lessons are essential, riding a bike is fairly easy, staying alive on the road is harder :)

well I passed my test in jan and got my first bike in feb so I feel I should really give you my 2pence.

here's my beastie.
n605065082_2822947_8625.jpg

Something like that (maybe slightly less motor) sounds ideal for me! The Hondas sound pretty good too, I have always liked the way they look.

don't look at the engine size to much.. The v-strom is tuned pretty low..

Good advice because engine size does not necessarily mean more power. My 650 has been good for learning. It can be as docile as I like but when I want to have a little fun it's easy to open the taps without it being intimidating.

Thanks for all the advice guys... any idea what sort of price range I need to be looking in to get a truly trouble free, ready to go, machine?

I think that really depends on the kind of maintenance a bike got. I don't know the price for a new CB500 in the US, but keeping the mostly bullet proof Honda reliability in mind, you should find a very decent example for half of the price of a new one.

I only paid a 100 bucks for my non-running CB750 but that was 10 years ago. Oh and it was a PITA to get running again and it never ran all that great ever. Errr my advice buy a running bike in good condition for your first bike as all the trouble I had with mine turned me off the sport for about 10 years.

Later on if you want to buy a non-running bike as a project go ahead but don't do that for your first one. You shouldn't have a problem finding good condition CBs in the 1,000-1,800 dollar price range.

I have ebay set up to email me once a day when bikes that I want pop up and I search the local craigslist about once a day as well.

All the CBs for sale on ebay currently.

These are the completed listings

Man what fool paid 23,000 for a CB750... :blink::hump::???:

here's what im talkin about

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/1996-SUZUKI-GSF-600-Bandit-92685038
92685038_1thumb_550x410.jpg

or this:

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2004-Honda-599-92379099
92379099_2thumb_550x410.jpg

or this (i actually took lessons on this model):
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2002-BUELL-Blast-500-89886432
89886432_1thumb_550x410.jpg

I'm posting used naked bikes because being a noob, you WILL drop your bike at least once, and you're less likely to cry over one of these than having to replace pieces on a full-fairing crotch-rocket. Second, these bikes offer a more upright seating positions, which for commuting is more comfortable, and makes it easier to keep your head up to see what's ahead. I highly recommend sitting on at least 20-30 bikes before deciding on anything. the slightest irritation like peg placement or how you have to grip the handlebars will amplify 100 fold when riding it. I have a particular distaste for bikes that push your upper body weight onto your arms while riding. I haven't even posted the cheapest bikes i could find, specifically to illustrate what kinda great rides you can get for cheap.

I've never really been a fan of naked bikes but the more I look at them the more I like them. I was checking the local listings last night and you can get them for almost nothing, certainly a lot less than a comparable sport bike. They look like they would be really maneuverable and fun to ride in town. Most importantly they look very manageable. I'm sure the insurance would be cheaper because you don't have tons of plastic to smash up if you drop it.

I've never really been a fan of naked bikes but the more I look at them the more I like them.

The Buell makes the oxymoronic term "Factory custom" spring to mind. Proper streetfighters look better and aren't that had to achieve.

wallpaper_conti_1024_uv.jpg

Then Harley have always sold 'individualism' in spades.