The "New Toys" Thread

It looks good, but honestly not much better than HL2.

:blink:

I don't get how this looks even close to HL2 (and this is on "High" I believe, not the "Very High" clone):

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/02/crysis.jpg

^ I don't know, probably has something to do with the fact that I play standing a foot away from a 42" monitor... everything looks grainy this up close.

Is there a way to unlock very high settings? Or are you just talking about the highest in-game settings?

Edit: Okay, I found the very high settings. But if I have it on very high and 8x anti-aliasing it will lag to the point of disabling me to play. Very high looks better I guess. How do you take screenshots of games?

Last edited:
I'm running Vista Ultimate (32-bit) and the highest settings allowed in Crysis itself, I dunno if there's a patch or something to unlock higher settings.

It looks good, but honestly not much better than HL2.

There is a patch availale to make Crysis look even better.

^ I don't know, probably has something to do with the fact that I play standing a foot away from a 42" monitor... everything looks grainy this up close.

Play on a monitor, not a TV. :p

Edit: Okay, I found the very high settings. But if I have it on very high and 8x anti-aliasing it will lag to the point of disabling me to play. Very high looks better I guess. How do you take screenshots of games?

I don't bother using AA. At such high resolutions (1600x1200, 1920x1080, and 1920x1200), you can easily live without it.

And I believe there's a screenshot key (look in the controls). If not, Print Screen -> Alt + Tab -> paste in Photoshop.

^ When I take a screen shot, it comes out as just my desktop and a small black window of the game. Do I have to do something to my video card settings to be able to take actual shots? :?

F12 is screenshot in Crysis, it saves it in \My Documents\My Games\Crysis\ScreenShots\

^ F12 doesn't work for me, this is the best I could do:

It looks pretty good actually... I guess. :)

Heck it looks amazing, but i guess that's cos you have the highest end and it's on DX10

So i can yell at newbies and AlexmanDK when playing GTA IV

http://img228.imageshack.**/img228/9314/jabrabt12502ru2.jpg

After using my "new" pc for a few months on a 17" CRT monitor I thought it was time to upgrade :D

Samsung 2032bw 20" widescreen (3000:1 contrast, 2 ms response)
samsung-tft-2032bw-b.jpg

No space for a 24" and a 22" also runs on 1680x1050 so I thought this would be fine :)

What's in the 'Adult' Stuff folder / bookmark? Im guessing bills and banking and what not.

I guess korean girls puking in each others mouth, or something else I've learned on Southpark..

Yeah but all TN panels are crap :-(

I'm getting an e8400 and 4 gigs of 800 mhz ram + mobo to boot to replace my athlon64 3000+ and 2 gigs of 400 mhz ram. What kind of speed boost can i expect? :)

^ A huge one... it's funny you say this, because I recently upgraded from an Athlon64 setup to an E8400 setup with 4 gigs of 800MHz DDR2.

It's speedier, and the dual cores actually make multitasking much easier and less laggy.

I'm getting an e8400 and 4 gigs of 800 mhz ram + mobo to boot to replace my athlon64 3000+ and 2 gigs of 400 mhz ram. What kind of speed boost can i expect? :)

Congrats on your pc.

You will definetely notice the speed difference, especially in multitasking.

Yeah, my brother has an Athlon 3200 and my E6600 Core 2 Duo is waaaaaaaaay faster. Even my wife's 2 year old last gen Core Duo laptop smokes his PC.