In Before Blind - Phone Call Database

Greatgraddage

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7409593.stm

BBC News said:
Ministers are to consider plans for a database of electronic information holding details of every phone call and e-mail sent in the UK, it has emerged.

The plans, reported in the Times, are at an early stage and may be included in the draft Communications Bill later this year, the Home Office confirmed.

A Home Office spokesman said the data is a "crucial tool" for protecting national security and prevent crime.

Ministers have not seen the plans which were drawn up by Home Office officials.

A Home Office spokesman said: "The Communications Data Bill will help ensure that crucial capabilities in the use of communications data for counter-terrorism and investigation of crime continue to be available.

"These powers will continue to be subject to strict safeguards to ensure the right balance between privacy and protecting the public."

The spokesman said changes need to be made to the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 "to ensure that public authorities can continue to obtain and have access to communications data essential for counter-terrorism and investigation of crime purposes".

A number of data protection failures in recent months, including the loss of a CD carrying the personal details of every child benefit claimant, have embarrassed the government.

The plans are likely to provoke outrage among civil liberty groups and some political figures.

Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne called the proposals "an Orwellian step too far".

He said ministers had "taken leave of their senses if they think that this proposal is compatible with a free country and a free people".

"Given the appalling track record of data loss, this state is simply not to be trusted with such private information," said Mr Huhne.

I'm starting to get pretty scared by all this....

Last edited:
BBC News said:
The plans are likely to provoke outrage among civil liberty groups and some political figures.

.. and, one would hope, anyone with half a brain. That's just downright invasive.

:lol: I go to class for a few hours and look what I miss!

Still, that is some pretty frightening stuff.

More like the "Pwn call databse" and they've already got Greatgraddage's number.

That is pretty messed up. How far will they go to "combat terrorism?"

More like the "Pwn call databse" and they've already got Greatgraddage's number.

Hello, Greatgraddage? This is bartboy...I'm calling to inform you that your shipment of FAIL has been delivered.

:lmao:

The problem is that once the Police have a power, no matter for what the original intention was, it will be used just for convenience sake - see my old post about being stopped and searched under the anti-terrorism legislation, where it was very clear that they were NOT looking for terrorists but for 'kids' in cars driving drunk or with drugs on-board.

They do this anyway BTW, it is just they can't use the intercepts as evidence they are not supposed to do it. TV Progs about that passim.

/EDIT GCHQ 'did not tap Diana's phone'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7268892.stm

Of course they did - they tap everyones.

" He said that a warrant signed by the foreign secretary would have been required in order to bug royal phones." - no, it would be needed if they had to admit to it - otherwise who knows, they just deny it after all it is secret?

Telephone tap tower anyone?

http://www.lamont.me.uk/capenhurst/original.html

Last edited:
Wow... just, wow. That's just plain frightening. And sad.

And to think I used to want to live in the UK. Now? I'll pass thanks.

That is pretty messed up. How far will they go to "combat terrorism?"

They'll keep going until the people they are "protecting" rise up against them...

^And after that it'll start all over again...

Sigh, my rush of excitement of being the first to post a big brother nanny state thread obviously affected my typing :D

Thankfully the plans are at the early stage and should never, ever, be seriously considered. If not Canada here I come.