2008 Monaco Formula 1 Grand Prix

Force India have made a formal complaint against Kimi Raikkonen and demanded that the World Champion is banned after he shunted the luckless Adrian Sutil out of the Monaco GP.

Sutil was on course to finish a career-best fourth when, shortly after the second re-start of the race following the deployment of the Safety Car, he was hit from behind by Raikkonen as the Finn lost control exiting the tunnel. As luck - well, bad luck - would have it, the Ferrari driver was able to continue, but the damage to the Force India was terminal. Sutil, close to tears, was beyond consolation.

While the German later spoke phlegmatically of the "disappointment", Mike Gascoyne, the team's Technical Director, bitterly condemned the World Champion's driving.

"Raikkonen always looked like doing stupid and in the end he did," the 'Rottweiler' barked. "If that was the other way around, and it was a little Force India driver hitting the World Champion, then he would be facing a one- or two-race ban. We've asked the stewards to take a look and act accordingly."

Source

Good race from Hamilton, I think he had the pace to easily win even without his luck regarding his shunt.
Kubica is consistently coming up with the goods. Who honestly thought he would still only be 6 points behind in the championship after 6 races?
Massa fairly average and Kimi not brilliant.
Sutil had an amazing drive but I honestly can't blame Kimi for his shunt, the conditions were very tricky and it's not like him rammed him trying a daft overtake.
Thank fuck BBC are showing no interest in Allen. He's completely useless, how come I tend to know whats happening half a lap before he ever does? His constant comparisons with Hamilton to Senna just piss me off. He's good, but not that good yet. He also chatted on about how he jinxed the Jordon back in 1992 so he better not jinx Force India in the same way. Surprise surprise, he did.
From now on, I'm going to use R5 Live for the commentary.

Last edited:
The Hungarian commentators were pathetic today.
They blamed Kimi for trying to overtake Sutil too agressively.
They couldn't recognise the drivers, the tyres (they were sure for 20 laps that Piquet started with dry tyres.)

Great race. I so wanted Kubica to win, if it was raining during whole race, probably the chances would be much higher. At the beginning of the race he was the only one at the front driving flawlessly. I'm proud of him :D

The Hungarian commentators were pathetic today.
They blamed Kimi for trying to overtake Sutil too agressively.
They couldn't recognise the drivers, the tyres (they were sure for 20 laps that Piquet started with dry tyres.)

I saw that too...they were completely blind. At one point they were shouting at someone for not letting a car past, which they thought had lapped him. After a while, it dawned upon them that the car behind might not be 1 lap ahead <_< Ofcourse Palik Laszlo has also made big mistakes when commenting...but at least you can laugh at his comments.

In addition to this, what could have Kimi done? He clearly slid and couldn't control the slide, and rammed Sutil. I feel really sorry for Sutil, let's hope he has better luck next time, but I don't think Raikkonen was ramming him on purpose, especially when you count the amount of cars that slid at that position over the weekend.

Last edited:

fuck me, like kimi did that on purpose

fuckers should watch the damn replay first, kimi was either off line on the wet stuff or breaked a little too hard too early on the damp track and the car just went away from him. he was giving it full lock in both directions to try control it but was pretty much a passenger from that point on.

its definately regretable what happened, and kimi with his experience perhaps should of known better.... but its hardly the purposeful action these guys are making it sound like,

^ I don't think it had much if anything to do with being damp, if you watch carefully there is a dip in the road and it was right after the dip where he lost it. He was under braking and the dip made the rear of the car light, causing him to lose it. It was pointed out by the US commentating team, it's also the same place Coulthard lost it in Q.

fuck me, like kimi did that on purpose

fuckers should watch the damn replay first, kimi was either off line on the wet stuff or breaked a little too hard too early on the damp track and the car just went away from him. he was giving it full lock in both directions to try control it but was pretty much a passenger from that point on.

its definately regretable what happened, and kimi with his experience perhaps should of known better.... but its hardly the purposeful action these guys are making it sound like,
No penalty for Kimi Raikkonen

Stewards at the Monaco Grand Prix decided against penalising Kimi Raikkonen, but the reigning world champion did not escape the venom of some observers as he lost his championship lead on Sunday.

Not only did the Ferrari driver conspicuously lack pace on the famous street circuit, he damaged his front wing in one unforced off, and later wiped out poor Adrian Sutil after messing up his braking in the closing stages of the race.

The FIA representatives interviewed Raikkonen about the Sutil incident but ruled that no action should be taken.

When he faced the less forgiving press corps, however, the 28-year-old Finn and reigning world champion was asked whether it had been the ?worst race of his life?, and why his pace seemed ?so far off? the front runners, including team-mate Felipe Massa.

"I cannot understand how the highest paid driver can have a race as stupid as that," former champion Niki Lauda ? never one to mince his words - said in his role as a German TV analyst on Sunday.
I do think it's the right decision, but I wonder what the outcome would have been had their positions been reversed.

OK, hamilton had some luck with thiming and that his accident wasn't more serious but he was by far the fastest driver consistantly through the race. He deserved the win.

Ya, when you don't have traffic ahead of you how can you not be?

He got lucky just like many other racers have in past races. I was really hoping for rain while everyone was testing the water (pun intended) with the dry tires.

My dad called me after the race and said he wrote Sutil an email congratulating him on his brilliant driving today regardless of the unfortunate mishap.

btw what a deush hamilton was at the end of the race, completely unprofessional IMO.

I am gutted for Sutil, I had a gut feeling something bad may happen and sadly it did.

I concur with what some people are saying, I wanted to shoot James Allen at the end of the race, his Hamilton fawning was embarassing.

He got lucky just like many other racers have in past races. I was really hoping for rain while everyone was testing the water (pun intended) with the dry tires.

Schumacer won several races the same way and he was shit wasn't he?

btw what a deush hamilton was at the end of the race, completely unprofessional IMO.

Do you have some kind of Lewis complex? What was wrong with his celebrations, would you rather he just behave like some robot? Would you rather Valentino Rossi give up his cool down lap shenanigans too? It was clear he had won at somewhere he had always wanted to and was delighted. Massa did a similar thing at Interlagos in 2006, does that make him a deuch too?

Last edited:
Exciting race with lots of twists. I can't even count how many fast laps were exchanged with how many different drivers.

Massa was doing so great in the beginning of the race and just completely fell through after the SC period. He said it was because of the change of strategy. It was also disappointing to see Kimi have a sloppy race.

I actually felt bad for Sutil considering he will probably not have another chance like that to finish that high in the points the rest of the season.

All in all, Lewis overcame his mistakes and capitalized on everyones else's'. His shortlived 40sec lead was amazing especially at Monaco.

Hm... race itself was allright, wasn't too pleased with the performance from Ferrari, both drivers struggled to find grip under the damp track conditions.

Kubica made the race worth watching though. 2 more weeks and its the Canadian GP, let's see if Kimi can get the game back at Canada.

I am gutted for Sutil, I had a gut feeling something bad may happen and sadly it did.

I concur with what some people are saying, I wanted to shoot James Allen at the end of the race, his Hamilton fawning was embarassing.

Last year the bad thing would have happened to Webber - his luck does seem to have turned around this season...

I'm kinda glad I couldn't get the ITV stream to work last night after the comments - So I reverted back to Speed's coverage on TVU. Maybe James Allen is being a bigger cock than usual because he knows the BEEB wont be giving him a job next year (thank god!)

^

Yeah it was pretty rashing, having to listen James Allen sucking goldenboy's cock.

My dad called me after the race and said he wrote Sutil an email congratulating him on his brilliant driving today regardless of the unfortunate mishap.

The hate is strong with this one....and something else if I'm right...

The hate is strong with this one....and something else if I'm right...

I've hated McLaren since my days in diapers.

maximus said:
Schumacer won several races the same way and he was shit wasn't he?

No. Thats not what I said or implied. Schumacher has won several races the same way but he is a consistently brilliant driver, he would still win in more challenging races without that kind of luck.

It's not only luck mate. The fact is that the two Ferrari drivers made more mistakes. Hamilton made one, Raikkonen made three, plus the strategy. So don't day it was easy, because in the rain it is never easy.

I'll accept the fact that you're a Ferrari fan, but you should note that every time Ferrari wins a race, the Lewis and McLaren fans will congratulate him on his driving. The other way around it never seems to happen.

Just make sure you give credit where it is deserved. I cannot see how you cannot call Lewis at least a good driver after turkey and monaco...that's just blindness...

Always knew McLaren and Hamilton had the pace to win at Monaco, but after qualifying it did look a little bit doubtful. It was a bit of an unconventional way to win, not the way I was expecting him to win, but good enough! The guy can certainly drive, there's no question about that. Fantastic performance by him. Very lucky to hit the wall there and to be able to continue. Even luckier that the loss in time due to pitting enabled him to have the optimum strategy for the track conditions. However one wonders where Kovalainen would've ended up had he not had his problem on the starting grid. His luck is due for change...

Massa was surprisingly err, good in the race. He cocked it up once, but I remember a certain Schumacher making the exact same mistake 11 years ago in similar conditions. Kubica was fantastic, very consistent and always threatening. There was a moment where I thought he might just steal a win, but it obviously wasn't to be. Typically Heidfeld was rubbish. Dont care if he had wing issues or whatever, but there was opportunity aplenty out there and he failed to capitalise.

Rather more unlikely was the awful drive by Kimi Raikkonen. Two unforced errors and the rest of the time he never really shone. Terrible to watch him cannon into the back of Sutil like that. Terrible for Sutil's sake. Only moments before I was dreading an incident happening to the Force India, could almost see it happening and unfortunately it ruined Sutil's brilliant and intelligent drive. Force India have every right to be angry and disappointed. Their bad fortune was Webber's gain, crafty performance by him and yet more points in the bag.

Good to see points for Barrichello and Nakajima...maybe the Japanese driver isnt quite as useless as we thought? Seemed to drive a fairly low key race and stole positions from the other, more accident prone drivers.

Driver of the race is Sutil, although Webber, Hamilton and Kubica deserve kudos as well.

Finally, a raspberry to Piquet, hands up those who didn't foresee him crashing out on the slick tyres. No hands? Heh...Only the very talented can handle slicks in those sorts of conditions (hell, even Alonso was struggling) so there was no chance he was going to cope. I was worried for Hamilton's sake as I figured that any crash Piquet had would probably fall during Hamilton's in lap, thankfully it wasn't the case.