My desktop is screwed up

Homer_Bart

Car(s)
2007 BMW 320i
Okay, seriously, I suck in IT. So forgive me.

So I got back my desktop from HP last week.

Ran ok, no problems. But now, the PC seems to have back some of the old problems.

1. Internet Explorer will not close when asked to, and then will not respond.
2. Upon startup, it shows an error message for RUNDLL
3. Adware popups. Winanonymous etc.
4. Windows Explorer/Firefox not responding randomly
5. Test Drive crashed without me doing anything to it. Reinstalling/restarting doesn't help.

When I try to reformat using a disc, it says "Install.msi"(or something) is missing and will not install Vista. Windows recovery can't be used since I didn't do a previous backup for it to restore.

WTF were HP doing at the repairs? Fuck you HP!

Just say fuck it and start over. Stick in your Windows disc (boot from it), delete your C: partition, make a new partition (your new C: ), then install your OS.

I do the same thing 1-2 times a year just to ditch all the crap that piles up on computers.

Might want to try and save any data files off the C: if you can get explorer working - then do what Viper suggests. DOS may be a bit much.

Might want to try and save any data files off the C: if you can get explorer working - then do what Viper suggests. DOS may be a bit much.
Yet another reason to right-click My Documents -> Properties -> Move and stick it in a folder on your D: drive (don't use the root -- some games won't save if you do).

Last edited:
have you tried turning it off and on again?

Yeah you're pretty much fuckered.
You *can* fix all that crap by going into strange and wonderful things like registry editing but don't if you dunno what you're doing.

Just do a backup of all the shit you need and reinstall everything.
You'll notice that not only all the errors are gone, but your PC will be a helluva lot faster

You *can* fix all that crap by going into strange and wonderful things like registry editing but don't if you dunno what you're doing.

......was gonna suggest how to fix his pc and the explorer problem.

but it's better to format and re-install a fresh copy of OS.

:|

tell you what, why dont you take a screenshot of your taskmanager and your msconfig startup file, take a picture of all the process that you are running, and I'll tell you if there is anything you should remove.

Maybe you should use a typewriter (courtesey of Powah)
Yeah, but I can't play TDU or go on MSN with that! :lol:

have you tried turning it off and on again?
Done. Tried. To no avail.

Try cleaning the gunk from under the mouse!
Laser mouse, no balls under it :p

Yeah you're pretty much fuckered.

Just do a backup of all the shit you need and reinstall everything.
You'll notice that not only all the errors are gone, but your PC will be a helluva lot faster
The problem when I try to reformat, as I mentioned, is that the installation disc can't install Vista 'cause it says "install.msi" is missing, and Windows Recovery won't work here because I've got no backups for it to restore from.

^ :rofl:

Yeah, normally 15 year old azians crack Pentagon mainframes, but we end up with the only one that has no clue about IT :)
But I can study real well! Honest! :rolleyes:
Joking! :lol:

......was gonna suggest how to fix his pc and the explorer problem.

but it's better to format and re-install a fresh copy of OS.

:|

tell you what, why dont you take a screenshot of your taskmanager and your msconfig startup file, take a picture of all the process that you are running, and I'll tell you if there is anything you should remove.

Here you go...
Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

As per mentioned, reformatting is abit of a problem, but I've backed up everything already. :)

EDIT: AVG finds 51 threats. Barely a week after getting back the PC. Wow.
Thanks for the response anyways! :D

^Can't understand it! :(

Maybe a step by step? Or a tutorial? Oh pleez? :)

Here you go...
Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Doesn't look too bad, although you are loading lots of weird stuff that is not really needed. Here are the few processes that shouldn't be in your startup folder, they might be the reason why your explorer keeps hanging.

kbd.exe - logitech program.. gotta to do with keyboard/mouse setting
MSASCui.exe - windows defender, its safe to turn it off
GrooveMonitor - should be from microsoft office 2007, it is safe to end the process, it shouldn't be there in the first place.
ehtray - no need for that too, not if you don't use windows media centre
mobsync - no need for that
ehmsas - same as ehtray, just windows media centre process
hpwusschd2.exe - HP software they installed, remove it so your pc won't lag so much
rundll32.exe - you shouldn't be running two copies of rundll32, check if your pc has been infected with virus, that is also the source of your rundll error problem, remove it.
hpsysdrv - sounds like HP system driver update/checked etc. remove that too

let me show you what a clean pc should look like

taskmanager.jpg

Now that you know what you are running, lets remove some of the unnecessary junk process that you dont need :

click on start menu -> click on run -> type in msconfig -> click on startup -> uncheck everything that is unneccesary -> click on services -> click on hide all microsoft services -> uncheck all services that looks like either virus/trojan, or potential malware.

Click apply, OK. Reboot, and see if your problem is still there.

Don't forget to run a virus check. Good luck

^Can't understand it! :(

Maybe a step by step? Or a tutorial? Oh pleez? :)

Here is how to install Vista

1) Make sure you have a copy of Windows Vista, either by buying the original software or download it from some warez site, doesn't matter. As long as you have a cd-key.

2) Boot your pc with the Vista installation disc (Change your boot order to CD/DVD rom first under the BIOS option)

3) Delete or format your C:\ partition

4) Install Vista

(How to change boot order: )

-> Reset your pc, press Delete to get into the BIOS (each motherboard have different keys assigned to enter the BIOS menu, some mobo use F2, some use F12, but the delete button is the most common one)

-> Go to advanced setting (or advanced pepherial setting), in there you will find the boot order.

-> Change 1st boot device to cd/dvd rom

-> Save change and exit setup

Last edited:
every time i look in this forum your computer is broken
My suggestion is throw it out the window and buy a new one :lol:

^Heheh. Bought a MacBook like you suggested! :mrgreen:

EDIT: MC809, thanks so much! Will try 'em tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
Actually to me if you can't even run the windows install disc in boot up, tells me it's a hardware problem... maybe ram.

But I guess when you said can't run installer.msi thing you're trying to do it in windows?

Is the Vista cd scratched?