Honda Jazz/Fit - Mark I v. Mark II

Breffni

Car(s)
2003 BMW 318i
Heya guys. The parents are looking at buying a Jazz to replace their spluttering Seicento. In late July their first grandchild will be born so they need a good, solid safe car that can carry a lot of stuff. My Dad's always been a fan of the Jazz, so he's now looking at a 1.4L Sport with a manual. With all the new tax laws coming in here in July, the Jazz will drop in price by about ?1000. So he'd be getting one shortly thereafter. But now he's looking at the new one, which looks a lot better I think, and which appears to have sorted out it's ride gremlins.

My question is would it be better keeping the Seicento running for a few more months and get the new Jazz in January (when I assume it comes out. Does anyone know the official date or an approximate date?) or going ahead and getting a current model Jazz with all bells and whistles. What do you guys think?

Saw it at the Auto show, but couldn't sit in it. All I can say is that it's a bit more curvacious in design and it's a bit bigger.

Get a Jazz now. The difference in reliability is insane not to do it...
I always prefer getting the "older" model at the end of its sales cycle, since it means all the flaws and errors will be gone, plus you can get a discount because the new model's out, AND you can get a shitload of toys (nice stereo, satnav, etc) for free on some models

The new Jazz has been out locally for several months (2 or 3?) now. Based on looks only, the new one looks more rounded, more modernised than the previous, which does look rather boxy and squarish(released since 2001! 6-7 years!). Plus the new one has a much nicer cabin with better plastics, and the RS model(ROAD SAILING):lol: and the Mugen kitted models are seriously good looking. The new Jazz will be an attention puller for at least 2 or 3 years before everyone buys one, but not to forget the new Jazz also has an optional skyroof. Just my 2 cents from my experiences with both cars in the showrooms :)

New
Honda_Jazz_Fit_11_1w.jpg

Old
hondajazz.jpg

Mugen kit
mugen_fit1.jpg

^In real-life it doesn't, thankfully! :p

I agree with NooDle on this one. Get the old one just as the new ones are coming onto the lots. usually there's still a few good ones on the lot, and dealers will take money off the invoice because they literally want the car gone so they have more room for the new ones. it's how i got my 03 maxima, and it was one of my fave cars ever, with nearly $6,000USD off because the 04s were coming in by the truck load.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose - it is a more moden looking car and I think that if true then the ride is better. Bound to be NCAP 5 (V. important in your case) so lots of plus points. On the other hand loads of deals on the outgoing model, it has any and all gremlins shaken out now (not that Honda tend to have many though, so less important than on, say, a French Car) and it is pretty safe, well made anyway and quite good on fuel and pretty spacious - pays your money and takes your choice. I'd get the new one as it looks so nice to me (I like the privacy glass one up above).

I can't say much of the new one 'cause I've never seem one and it won't be out here this year. If I'm not mistaken, Honda will start producing then here next year.
But I can tell you that I really like the current model. I think that it's a very good city car, making it difficult to think of something it misses playing such role. As said, it's well put together, safe and spacious. I wouldn't be upset if it had a CVT trans either, I think it's a good compromise between fuel economy, performance (not that it's sports anyway) and comfort. Maybe your dad could think about that...

Get the old one, the new one is bearly a small car. I mean a 1st gen Toyota Matrix (which similarly can fit huge amounts of stuff) weighs the same as the new Fit, and on that basis it IS NOT a small car. 2600lbs is okay for a Sportscar with trick technology, rwd, and a bigger engine, but its bullshit if your buying something particularly because its small and economical. Honda hit the nail directly on the head with the old car, it was a quality product in a small bundel. Now its a quality car in a medium small bundle, big fucking whoop dee do. I'm almost sure its better then the U.S. Focus, but the beauty of the 1st gen fit was that you could scoff at a focus for being too big and cumbersome.

When is your dad getting the Jazz?

Cos if it's not too urgent, I might be able to help you on this.

My mum bought a new Honda Jazz (1.5vtec) like a few month ago. I can take some pictures and even write a small review on the certain aspects of the car that you want to know (fuel consumption, practicality etc..)

I'm leaving somewhere around mid June, so still a few week's to go. Until then, I can't really tell you much about the car.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. They took a look at the thread and decided on getting the current gen Jazz with a mind to replacing it in a few years with the new one.

My Dad's keeping his cards close to his chest on this one but as I understand it he plans to order the car in the next couple of weeks to collect in July (when the tax laws are in full swing). They're getting a 1.4 Sport manual with the Black Pearl paint I believe.

MadCow, that would be great if you could tell me literally anything about how the car is. I would hugely appreciate that.

Thanks again everyone.

I wouldn't be upset if it had a CVT trans either, I think it's a good compromise between fuel economy, performance (not that it's sports anyway) and comfort. Maybe your dad could think about that...

Oh, I wouldn't say that. I had a old Honda Jazz VTi, and the CVT transmission was absolutely rubbish. It basically revs the engine like hell when you floor it (e.g. overtaking in the country), but you don't really build much speed. Other owners who have the manual get better economy than I do as well...

In terms or reliability, I never had any major trouble with my Jazz, though Honda servicing was a bit of a rip. I changed tyres immediately when I got mine, as the standard yokohamas were absolute rubbish, especially in the wet. The Steering was too light for my liking, but it wasn't a complete disaster. Suspension is a bit firm, and it tended to crash over rough surfaces or even just manhole covers, but overall not a bad drive.

Some of the plastics in the interior scratch really easily, especially the ones near the door. The interior is built well overall, and is a very roomy and comfortable place to be on the daily commute to work. Wind noise and tyre noise is noticeable, but acceptable for me. The seating arrangement is absolutely brilliant, allowing for a lot of different arrangements. I managed to get 2 mountain bikes and a lot of kit into my Jazz with a bit of shuffling around.

The standard headunit was the real upset though, as it constantly screwed up and had to be replaced several times under warranty. It also sounds rubbish.

Overall, still a brilliant daily driver, especially compared to my thirsty-as-hell E55 or the cute but cramped mini cooper.

agreed, get the manual...

great little car, surprisingly roomy inside, honda reliability, good mpg.

get it. and then put an DC5-R motor in it :D