The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Someone tried to steal my bike!

It was parked outside my friends house on the drive when we saw out the window a group of lads dragging my bike down the street (steering lock was on).. So 7 of us chased them with knives and a flail.. Safe to say the left it and ran like you've never seen someone run before. Yes you heard right, a flail.. Don't touch my bike! <_< :x

I have no idea what posses someone to do such a thing. They should be caught and shot.

It was parked outside my friends house on the drive when we saw out the window a group of lads dragging my bike down the street (steering lock was on).. So 7 of us chased them with knives and a flail.. Safe to say the left it and ran like you've never seen someone run before. Yes you heard right, a flail.. Don't touch my bike! <_< :x

I have no idea what posses someone to do such a thing. They should be caught and shot.

If it had been in Texas....
:)

I love this state and country. It is completely legal to shoot and kill (or kill by whatever means you can) anybody trespassing on your property. The same rule applies for your car as well. Thats Texas' law anyways.

I would've run those peckerwoods down with my car. Did you call the cops or do you figure that being chased with knives and a flail was enough? Heh, why the hell do you have a flail? ... You know what, forget I asked :lol:.

Thankfully, you didn't chased them with a fail...:drums:

(Sorry, that was terrible)

It's my friends Vik's. She keeps it by the front door for just such an occasion! It's an excellent thing.. It was my friend Doz that ran at them with it, he's quite a big guy! Shaved head and a huge beard.. You can understand why they ran. :lol:

It's my friends Vik's. She keeps it by the front door for just such an occasion! It's an excellent thing.. It was my friend Doz that ran at them with it, he's quite a big guy! Shaved head and a huge beard.. You can understand why they ran. :lol:

Holy crap that probably looked like a scene from Braveheart....

While I admire the ability to wield a flail, I'll stick to modern fire arms.

Glad the bike is safe. Did they drop it when they ran?

No, luckily they couldn't lift it very high off the ground so when they let go it managed to stay on the centre stand. :-|

Had fire arms been to hand, rest assured, they would have been used to the best of their ability's. <_<

Today I had my first "I'm really glad I had a full face helmet on" moment. While cruising around on a country road a dump truck passed me going the other direction. Right in my lane I saw what looked like a big swarm of bees like in the cartoons. About a second later I heard the big clumps of dirt hitting my helmet. That wouldn't have tasted very good and I imagine it would have hurt quite a lot.

Today I had my first "I'm really glad I had a full face helmet on" moment. While cruising around on a country road a dump truck passed me going the other direction. Right in my lane I saw what looked like a big swarm of bees like in the cartoons. About a second later I heard the big clumps of dirt hitting my helmet. That wouldn't have tasted very good and I imagine it would have hurt quite a lot.

Would've done a number on your makeup too.

Speaking of bikes, can any experts check out this CL ad and tell me know if 600 is too much? I think this is the original ad from the 70s.

Last edited:
Speaking of bikes, can any experts check out this CL ad and tell me know if 600 is too much? I think this is the original ad from the 70s.

My gut says it is too much just cause it is a 2 cycle and depending on your are they local authorities may give you some trouble for driving it on the street.

Considering it needs at least one tire and the taillight maybe I would be 600 bucks if both of those situations were corrected before I bought it.

To me $600 is very fair for that bike, but here in the bay area bikes tend to run more than other places. The two-stroke will generate more power than a 4-stroke of the same size.

Thanks for the help guys, it's much appreciated. I'm really only looking to spend near $500 on an older style bike. I don't have a motorcycle license, but my main goal is just to fix a bike up for now. Unfortunately, the one I linked to was sold already but I talked to this guy who has a '71 175cc Yamaha, and who seems willing to bargain. Original colours, too. He said the motor kicks but he hasn't started it. $550 fair?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the one I linked to was sold already but I talked to this guy who has a '71 175cc Yamaha, and who seems willing to bargain. Original colours, too. He said the motor kicks but he hasn't started it. $550 fair?
I think the price on that one is decent, but I'd try to get him down to $4-450 if I could. Especially if it doesn't have a title. Speaking of which, what exactly do you want to do with it? A little resto and then just use it as a dirtbike, or do you want it tagged? The former is what I had planned for my Yamaha, but I'd rather have it tagged now. And that's going to cost me a few hundred bucks, because I don't have a title for it.

These old enduros are a lot of fun though, I think mine has been an ideal first bike. But check out your local laws about 2 strokes and enduros. If you want one for street use, make sure that it is in fact a dual-purpose model that was intended for street use; not an MX'er that someone stuck lights on later. That's illegal in some places.

Tigger - I think $450 is about right... BlaRo suggested even $350 (might be a bit low) and showing up with cash which is something. I checked local laws and there doesn't seem to be any restriction on the bike, only that the bike has to be registered/insured, etc. The guy says that he has the papers for the bike, anyhow, so I don't foresee a problem.

Anyhow, I'll let you guys know how it goes if I see it tomorrow! I'll try to take some pics.

You might as well try a low cash offer. The worst you'll get is a "no" and then you can work up from there. Heck it worked with my Disco, I offered $1000 less than the asking price and he took it.

In other motorbiking news my scoot has a new addition which I posted a photo of in the group. I figured it was a good way to mark the first anniversary of my bike's first ride in over three years and my first ride ever. :)