Subaru: The future is electric and diesel

I have to stick my neck out and say that it seems just as possible for a diesel engine to make great noises as it is a regular petrol engine. The noises are definitly different, but a properly ported diesel has a wonderful splattering noise, and the few high revving diesels that their are really do sound like something else all together.
That's really putting your neck out there ;). I don't think I've ever heard a diesel engine smaller than ~5.7l in person. Certainly not some nice, warmed up, high-revving little turbodiesel. I do, on a daily basis, hear plenty of Duramaxs, Cummins and Powerstrokes running around. Most are stock, but every once in a while there will be a nice one that's got a massive exhaust and you can hear the turbo spool from a block away. Now those ... those I like :mrgreen:.

Are we all still in agreement that torque is a good thing? I got confused with all the , and . between the werdz...
God did not actually rest on the 7th day, oh no. On the 7th day, he created torque. And it was good; damned good. ... So yeah, torque is good, everyone loves it, etc.

AFAIK diesel is not refined at all. The reason why US and Aus have more expensive diesel is nothing more than taxes AFAIK.
Well now the US (and from the sound of things Australia too), have to use a low-sulfur diesel inorder to better save the atmosphere, trees and whales and shit. I assume that they've got to do some actual refining on the diesel now, driving diesel to around $5 a gallon. Truckers are not amused.

When crude oil is processed it gets separated into fractions, gasoline/petrol, diesel, kerosene and some others that I can't remember right now all come out at the same time. It doesn't cost anything extra to produce diesel as it's basically a "by-product" of the separation process. AFAIK diesel is not refined at all. The reason why US and Aus have more expensive diesel is nothing more than taxes AFAIK.

Very untrue. A lot more is involved in petroleum refining than just separation. Crude oil contains a lot of heavy stuff that gets cracked into lighter products such as gasoline, naphtha, diesel, kerosene, and jet fuel, and how much of each of those gets produced depends on demand. Also, the products always have to be sweetened (removal of sulfur, nitrogen and metals), though you're right about the bit on tighter sulfur restrictions on diesel making it more expensive than before. Another thing you have to keep in mind is that diesel is denser than gasoline, so you're getting more despite the volumes being the same.

just drive whatever you like, there is no point arguing which one is better, so what if you are driving the better one? if you dont like it, leave it. no big deal.

Yep, diesel used to be 20-30 cents cheaper than unleaded gas, now it's up to 75 cents more.

Diesel used to just be heating oil without the dye in it but when they went to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel that changed. Diesel costs slightly more to refine now then it did before the ULSD change but it doesn't explain the nearly dollar plus relative swing between then and now.

I have no doubt that in a few months to a year some shenanigans will be discovered in the futures market and most likely in the supply and storage side of oil production too.

Very untrue. A lot more is involved in petroleum refining than just separation. Crude oil contains a lot of heavy stuff that gets cracked into lighter products such as gasoline, naphtha, diesel, kerosene, and jet fuel, and how much of each of those gets produced depends on demand. Also, the products always have to be sweetened (removal of sulfur, nitrogen and metals), though you're right about the bit on tighter sulfur restrictions on diesel making it more expensive than before. Another thing you have to keep in mind is that diesel is denser than gasoline, so you're getting more despite the volumes being the same.

I wasn't going to go into specifics of oil refining, my basic point was that all those fractions come out as part of the same process, but thanks for extra info :)

I say diesel. Its the only engine (turbo diesel) around today that can push 0-60 in under 4 sec and 35 miles per gallon

having noticed the difference of fuel prices in different Euro countries (Germany, Holland, Austria and Italy) are roughly the same, sometimes even higher than diesel, I'm beginning to see why in those countries petrol > diesel unless you drive a bajillion miles a year

in Belgium though, still 20% cheaper.
Belgiums FTW!

Did you guys happen to watch this 24 hr race this weekend and notice what type of fuel powered the cars that finished 1-2-3?

1-2-3? You mean 1-2-3-4-5-6...

yup. It's really an unfair advantage really... all the other ones were driving on some weird fairy liquid called "gasoline". Goes well apparently, although it's gone before you notice it and you need to put more in.

I want to see a diesel vs petrol in a regular race. Something like what best motoring does, 5-7 laps, no refueling no changing tires. With endurance racing not having to fill up as often will definetly help.

I want to see a diesel vs petrol in a regular race. Something like what best motoring does, 5-7 laps, no refueling no changing tires. With endurance racing not having to fill up as often will definetly help.

depends on the track too, the diesel engine have massive torque which equals sick acceleration but apparently the engines themselves are heavier and therefore more bulky (and slower) around the corners.

Recap the Audi R10 TDi vs Porsche RS Spyder battle during the corse of last years American LeMans Series...