Max Mosley - is it true?

Mosley hoping to stand down in 2009
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/4/7659.html

FIA President Max Mosley has revealed he intends to stand down from the position in 2009, even if he survives a vote of confidence later this year. FIA members from around the world will meet in Paris on June 3 to discuss the impact of allegations concerning Mosley?s private life made in the British tabloid press.

In the first interview he has given concerning the allegations, Mosley told British broadsheet the Sunday Telegraph that it had always been his plan not to run for re-election next October. He said he now intends to give June?s General Assembly the facts and leave it to them to decide whether they affect his ability to carry out the responsibilities of his post.

"If they wish me to continue, I will continue, if they don't, I'll stop,? he said. ?But I will also say to them that it was always my intention, because it is, that I was never going to go beyond 2009. I kept quiet about that because the lesson with (former British Prime Minister) Tony Blair is, the day you say you're going to stop, you lose your influence.?

Mosley, 68, is pursuing legal action against the paper that published the allegations. Asked why he has ignored calls for his resignation over the stories, elements of which he described as ?a deliberate and cold-blooded lie?, Mosley reiterated his belief that his personal life has no impact on his professional ability, insisting that he has a responsibility to those who elected him, a huge number of whom, he says, have already given him their support in the matter.

?For every letter I've had from a club president saying 'I think you should step down' or 'I think you should consider your position', I've had seven, slightly more than seven, who said 'you've absolutely got to stay, don't give an inch', and 'this is the most outrageous invasion', and suggesting that there's more to this than meets the eye, which of course there may be.

"It would then be impossible to turn around to all these people, the great majority, and say, 'no I'm going to walk away', even if I'm inclined to. But my inclination is to stay and fight.?

Mosley has been President of the FIA since 1993.

Mosley told British broadsheet the Sunday Telegraph that it had always been his plan not to run for re-election next October.

I'll believe that when my shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert.

Max Mosley orgy revelation forces M15 agent to quit

An MI5 agent has resigned after it emerged his prostitute wife engineered the tabloid sting that exposed Max Mosley, the head of motor racing, as having taken part in a sado-masochistic orgy.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...orgy-revelation-forces-M15-agent-to-quit.html

The intelligence officer, who cannot be named for security reasons, left the service last month after it emerged that his wife was one of the five call girls who took part in the sadomasochistic sex session with Mosley.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3953837.ece

You couldn't make this stuff up:mrgreen:

Haha, Ferrari have Max Mosley on their side, McLaren have the British military intelligence service on theirs (I suppose one of MI5's jobs is to protect British economic interests).

Next race James Bond will be positioned in the Monaco harbour to snipe out the Ferrari's tyres if they gain the lead.

Haha, Ferrari have Max Mosley on their side, McLaren have the British military intelligence service on theirs (I suppose one of MI5's jobs is to protect British economic interests).

Next race James Bond will be positioned in the Monaco harbour to snipe out the Ferrari's tyres if they gain the lead.

rofl, I hope so, this Ferrari domination is really really boring.

His Wife is a prostitute - WTF? Does no one find that a bit odd?

Exactly my thought...it's not exactly the most normal thing in the world....

Ecclestone calls for Mosley to step down

31 May 2008

Bernie Ecclestone has called for Max Mosley to step down as FIA president and avoid the controversy of next Tuesday's confidence vote at the FIA Senate.

Ecclestone was full or praise for everything Mosley has achieved as FIA president, but acknowledged it was time for him to step down, following revelations about his private life and the impact that is having on the sport and its stakeholders.

"The last thing most people involved in the sport, including the clubs, would want to see is Max in a position where he could be forced to stand down," Ecclestone told the Daily Telegraph newspaper. "I don't want to see that. I've been a friend of Max for 40 years. I would hate to see him go in this way after all he has done for the sport."

"Since the story broke I have been under enormous pressure from the people who invest in Formula One, sponsors and manufacturers, over this issue," he added. "They point out that as a chief executive or chief operating officer of a major company they would have gone either immediately, or within 24 hours, in the same circumstances. They cannot understand why Max has not done the same."

"Max is a strong man," Ecclestone went on. "Once he makes a decision he sticks to it. He feels that there is still important work to do at the FIA. But in my view there is a way to accomplish this and retire at the end of the year at the FIA general assembly in November. I would be happy to sit at his side to help him to achieve that."

"He should stand down out of responsibility for the institution he represents, including F1. Everyone who I speak to in a position of authority across F1 rings me to say he should leave. It is regretful that he has not made that decision," Ecclestone concluded.

Source

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67957

Mosley wins confidence vote in Paris

Tuesday, June 3rd 2008, 10:55 GMT

FIA president Max Mosley has won the vote of confidence at today's General Assembly meeting in Paris.

Following a vote of delegates, Mosley won the majority of support for him to continue in his role.

An FIA press release confirmed that Mosley had won by 103 votes to 55 votes in the meeting. There were seven abstentions and four invalid votes during the secret ballot.

More to follow.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now we're stuck with Kinky Max for another 6 years. Bernie did warn us: if he wins the vote, he'll run again for president. Shit. :bmwpoo:

As much I'm not a Mosley fan - this is the right decision, he shouldn't have fallen for this, and I'm glad he hasn't.

Yeah, but the stakeholders wont be impressed. They've given him the vote of confidence, but he needs to step down and let the FIA begin the reconciliation process.

As much I'm not a Mosley fan - this is the right decision, he shouldn't have fallen for this, and I'm glad he hasn't.

+1

I wouldn't mind seeing Mosley go, but not because of this scandal. It has nothing to do with his abilities as an FIA president.

+1

Even though I don't like Mosley, I also rekon he shouldn't back down, it pretty much means admitting the victory of the media attack on his personal life, which has nothing to do with his work.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67957

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now we're stuck with Kinky Max for another 6 years. Bernie did warn us: if he wins the vote, he'll run again for president. Shit. :bmwpoo:

According to reports I've read Max will not continue after his current term. He'll be away in late 2009.

German, American, Japanese, French, Australian and Spanish car feds voted against Mosley. ADAC has frozen its activities with FIA.
Just silly. And I hope News of the World will get great big fines.

I like the idea our media suggested though: Ari Vatanen for FIA President.
Maybe '09...

+1

I wouldn't mind seeing Mosley go, but not because of this scandal. It has nothing to do with his abilities as an FIA president.

+1

Even though I don't like Mosley, I also rekon he shouldn't back down, it pretty much means admitting the victory of the media attack on his personal life, which has nothing to do with his work.

Yes, yes and yes.

There are plenty of reasons he should be sacked, but one of them isn't his personal sex life. Glad he's still there. So that teams can continue to call for his resignation over rubbish desicions he makes.

I wanted him to get sacked, but like you guys say, not his way...I hope he doesn't run again...

Grandprix.com said:
JUNE 3, 2008
The judgement of history

The decision by the FIA General Assembly to support Max Mosley paints the federation in a very poor light, at least in the eyes of the general public. A large number of people in this world believe that married men should not break their vows and involve themselves with lurid sexual games, involving uniformed dominatrices. They believe that personal betrayals of trust are not something that should be ignored because it is in one's private life, but rather should be seen as an indication of the character of the person concerned. If one follows this logic, it is clear that Max Mosley is not a man who can be trusted. He admits that he did what he did. What he does not do is admit his own responsibility. It is, in his mind, someone else's fault that he was caught with his trousers literally around his ankles when in reality he is to blame for having put himself in that position. Whether it is written in the statutes or not, the people who elected Mosley expected him not to get mixed up in such scandals. If they had suspected such things it is unlikely that he would have ever been elected president. The fact that he was caught means that he cannot really fulfil the functions of the president and so the two deputy-presidents must stand in for him.

The vote may give the impression that the clubs are condoning Mosley's behaviour but, having spoken to a number of the delegates it is clear that many of those who voted for Mosley did not like the sex scandal that has done dreadful damage to the reputation of the federation. Many believe that Mosley should have been more responsible and feel that he has shown very poor judgement in this respect.

But the fact remains that they also believe (rightly or wrongly) that the FIA has been under attack and that it is their primary duty to defend the federation rather than burying Mosley, as perhaps they should have done. Several delegates said that the institution is more important than any individual or any issue and that if Mosley has survived it is only because they are defending the federation rather than the man himself.

"Today, the full membership of the FIA, both motoring and motor sport, were given the opportunity to express their views on the future of the FIA President," said Richard Woods, FIA Director of Communications. "They exercised their democratic right by way of secret ballot and a decisive majority confirmed their confidence in the President and his mandate. The view repeated time and time again from the members during the Assembly was a categoric rejection of what they felt had been a deliberate attempt to destabilise both him and the FIA. The vote was not a comment on the President's private life but a confirmation that the decision making of the FIA must never be manipulated by external forces who may attempt to undermine its independent authority."

By going down this road the FIA clubs are risking a split in their own number as the big touring clubs are very unhappy and may yet decide to walk away and start their own parallel federation, leaving the FIA as a shadow of its former self with a membership which could end up being a fraction of its current size and a far weaker voice in business and politics.

Both sides argue that democracy is important, but they disagree on what democracy means. The big clubs says that individual members should count while Mosley's men argue that it should be one vote per club, in order to protect the smaller clubs from being dominated by the larger ones. They add that the 50m members of the American Automobile Association do not care about the Mosley Scandal and that no-one has canvassed the motorists to see what they think. This is true, but it is also true that no-one has asked the licence holders of the sporting clubs if they think their federation should support Mosley.

Whatever the story, Mosley remains in office with a mandate to complete his term of office. The FIA may hold together in the short term but could then come apart at the next election if the sporting interests remain in control. The trick will be to find someone who can hold all the clubs together and keep everyone happy. What that will entail is a man who will compromise rather than adopting an aggressive approach. Bernie Ecclestone said before the vote that Mosley will go for re-election in 2009 if he won today, despite what he has said.

Ecclestone may be right. If that happens then the idea that the vote today was a defensive one will be proved not to be true and it will all have been a case of Mosley doing anything he could to hang on to power. Overseeing a transition is one thing, continuing on regardless of what has happened is quite another.

Some clearly already doubt Mosley's motives. The problem is that it is impossible to say whether the FIA would be facing such a mess if Mosley had stood down on the first day of the scandal and it will probably be some time before that can be properly assessed.

One way or the other history will ultimately judge those who made the decision today, just as it will one day judge Mosley.

One can only hope that in the interim all this business does not have a negative effect on the sport.

On a funnier note, the guys at Pitpass have been at it again:

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=34986

Last edited: