New GM interior design direction

Of course they will. Dodge is the only one in the really dire position. GM may be selling less but they are still selling quite a bit.

I know exactly what you mean, they still have a significant market share around the world, but I read somewhere that they are loosing something like a billion dollars a month so you must understand where my doubts are coming from.

Opel/Vauxhall always was one car generation behind Volkswagen and Audi, concerning trim and interior quality, ever since they decided to compete with the Golf in 1979, and I don't see that to change with the new concepts.

Things may be different in Europe, but aside from the GTi, I found that most VWs (especially the god awful Beetle cabriolet and Eos) have terrible build quality. The plastics are just as hard as the ones found on the new Corolla, which is dissapointing (considering it's a solid few grand more expensive the the equivalent Mazda or Honda. If I'm not mistakened, VW's best selling model(s) in Canada are the City Jetta and City Golfs, which are basically facelifted versions of the MK IV Golf and Jetta. That says a lot about the different needs and demand of Europe and North America. I've always thought that as an overall package, the Saturn Astra was a much better car than the Rabbit. The biggest letdown is probably the Rabbit's only engine option, which is the 2.5L 5 pot petrol which is neither the most powerful nor the most efficient. I just had another chance to sit in the new Cadillac CTS, and I was mighty impressed by the looks, value, and space of that car. The interior was especially more pleasant looking and inviting compared to the dull and grey C-Class and 3-Series.

I don't understand the "dull and grey" - you can choose between hundreds of combinations for the interior with Mercedes and BMW. It's basically up to you how it looks like inside.

It seems that most people prefer to have grey or dark interiors in most BMWs and Mercs. In general, I just don't like the boring strip of plastic that runs through the dash for the BMW range. The new C-Class interior with it's after-market style pop up screen and overall square design just doesn't seem as pleasant or as nice as the Caddilac's leather stitched swoopy interior with subtle wood accents. I know the CTS has pop up screen as well, but I think it doesn't have the after market look of the Merc's. Then again, it's a mater of personal preference.

2008-mercedes-benz-c-class-interior-dash-seatsjpg.jpg

bmw_3coupe_interior.jpg

cts_interior_01_4502.jpg

But isn't the Cadillac supposed to be a competitor of the E-Class and the 5-Series?

Well, it's a difficult one because it's price is closer to the 3 series, while it's physical size is closer to those of the 5 series. Your call.

Categorizing here goes after the size, not the price. So it will be measured upon the E-Class and the 5-Series.

The interior of the Cadillac does look good on the picture, by the way. But the question is how it looks and feels in reality, how the haptics are, and if there is rattle and squeaking on cobblestone roads or not.

A test drive would be necessary, I presume.

Categorizing here goes after the size, not the price.

If you want to be technical. But in the real world people who're looking for a new car tend to have a budget in mind and they tend to look for the best they can get for their money. Buying the car with more interior space, for example, is a plus in a luxury car. So if you can buy a larger car for the same price, why not? Unless they're one of those people that would rather have a strip down BMW then a fully loaded Cadillac, because of the badge on the deck lid. :p

Ah, but people also consider the overall costs (insurance, tax, repairs and spare parts, maintenance) and the loss in value.

There is no experience with Cadillac here and thus the buyers will be cautious and stick with what they know.

The new Cadillac may be nice when it's new, but there yet have to be made experiences how the car is like after 3 years of long distance use. Since customers here are less forgiving in that area and don't trust in cars made in USA in general, the market chances are not good.

Last edited:
Auto Motor & Sport had a look at a different interior than the charcoal black one in the new Insignia.

http://img340.imageshack.**/img340/9155/driverseatbigko1.jpg

Ah, but people also consider the overall costs (insurance, tax, repairs and spare parts, maintenance) and the loss in value.

There is no experience with Cadillac here and thus the buyers will be cautious and stick with what they know.

The new Cadillac may be nice when it's new, but there yet have to be made experiences how the car is like after 3 years of long distance use. Since customers here are less forgiving in that area and don't trust in cars made in USA in general, the market chances are not good.

Well, Cadillac is trying to sell in other markets, but regardless, it's main market where it will sell 90% of it's vehicles is the North American market. And here it's a much more realistic choice then the 3 big German brands. It's a less expensive choice in all areas. And if what few quality surveys we have are any indication, they're very well made.

And I'm not totally sold on the long term durability of the rest of the market. Maybe the older, bullet proof diesel Mercs, but that's it. I've test driven BMW's that were only 3 years old where the cheap silver coating they sprayed on the plastic interior trim was wearing off, among other things. I also had a friend with a Lexus that was absolutely falling apart. He even lost a wheel on his way to the dealership.

I recently read on the internet somewhere that there is a difference between Europe and America in what is considered "quality" by the car owners.

For a European car owner it's the overall impression and feel of quality, the haptics. Nice trim with no gaps, nice looking and feeling material and an overall nicely made interior with a sense of sophistication. They keep their cars clean and pay attention that nobody with dirty shoes goes in and that nobody touches anything with sticky fingers or makes the seats dirty.

For an American the main point seems to be how forgiving and resistant to misuse the materials are: Can you spill Coke on it without ruining it? Can you touch it with sticky burger fingers and still wipe it clean afterwards? Does it withstand carelessness and the hands of children? Etc.

Could this be true?

No. Unless you believe all the stereotypes and blanket statements you hear.

I've never heard anyone say the interior of a Cavalier is high quality because it doesn't stain easy. That's idiotic.

Auto Motor & Sport had a look at a different interior than the charcoal black one in the new Insignia.

http://img340.imageshack.**/img340/9155/driverseatbigko1.jpg
Not enough buttons. I feel like I'm operating a massive stereo surround-sound system/DVD player/CD changer, which apparently is trendy and chic these days. I'd rather operate a car.

I don't see why GM even bothers anymore; 75% of the buttons and trim pieces are just going to end up on the floor after a year or two anyway.

Speaking from experience, perhaps?

As long as a car doesn't have Sienna sized gaps and scratchy plastics, I'm okay with it... I really couldn't care less if all the gaps are precise 0.5mm wide in every corner. As long as it looks good, doesn't scratch easily, durable, and quiet, then it's okay. To me, soft plastics aren't necessarily the best imo.