230 mpg Aptera close to production

vanMould

Car(s)
Volvo 480ES -88
aptera_snefram_big.jpg

aptera_sida_big.jpg

Gizmondo said:
Aptera Electric Three Wheeler Available for Pre-Order

aptera_front_07.jpgWe heard rumblings of the electric three-wheeled Aptera over a year ago but now the company has opened up an annoying and overwrought website soliciting "reservations," meaning you can plunk down $500 and get the right to buy either the all-electric or plug-in diesel hybrid model. The good news is, there's a working prototype with specs that are jaw-dropping.

How's 230mpg while driving at 55mph? Yes, that's short of the 330mpg first promised last year, but that's a real world number demonstrated as the company rolled out the first working prototype of this diesel-electric car in March. Part of the secret to that great mpg number is its drag coefficient of 0.11, extremely slippery. The company's also claiming a 0-60 time of 10 seconds.

It looks way-cool, too. We especially like the view from the rear of this car?it looks like a flying saucer, and the view from the side? Why, it's a banana on wheels, and we mean that in the nicest way.

And the pricing? The company insists all this tech will cost around $20K, and say the first Apteras will be delivered in "approximately 12 months." That's a long time to lend someone $500 interest-free, but hey, this is an extraordinary design so maybe we'll give 'em a pass this time.

Source for text:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/electric...ee-wheeler-available-for-pre+order-304567.php
Source for pictures (article in swedish):
http://www.automotorsport.se/nyhetsmall.asp?version=62059

... with a drag coefficient of 0.11 you don?t crash into stuff ... you slice through stuff ... :mrgreen:*slicingnoises*

:lol:

It would be perfect as a Futurama script.

How's 230mpg while driving at 55mph? Yes, that's short of the 330mpg first promised last year, but that's a real world number demonstrated as the company rolled out the first working prototype of this diesel-electric car in March. Part of the secret to that great mpg number is its drag coefficient of 0.11, extremely slippery.

Great... so when I'm paying $36.79 per gallon, I'll know who to blame.

How is it's NCAP score?

Is it pedestrian friendly? Sure, you can't kill the environment, but you can kill children! :p

If people are so worried about pedestrian safety, they should stop putting on makeup and talking on the phone while driving, not the shape of the front end of the car that's running them over.

I think this car looks fantastic! It's like a Diamond airplane that you can drive on the roads. :mrgreen: Probably the first "eco-friendly" car that I wouldn't mind being seen in.

It looks like a cross between a T-rex trike and a Cessna. I like it. I like it alot. I'm not sure if I'd ever own one myself, but I'd much rather see Hollywood full of these than Priuses.

Oh good, I was wondering when the future would get here.

1950s optimism, you're slightly late to the party, but there's still a seat left.

I actually lind of like it, it looks, dare I say, somewhat agressive. I doubt it'll ever get into Canada though, due to bumper laws and whatnot.

Oh good, I was wondering when the future would get here.

1950s optimism, you're slightly late to the party, but there's still a seat left.
:lmao: Hmmm, all it needs is two huge fins on the back and about 75lbs of chrome.

If people are so worried about pedestrian safety, they should stop putting on makeup and talking on the phone while driving, not the shape of the front end of the car that's running them over.

I have a better idea. How about pedestrians stop throwing themselves in front of my car? No one around here looks before jumping out in the road from behind a van or other obstruction. They cross wherever they want... at night... while wearing black. I think if they get turned into hood-meat it's their own fault.

You know what that car really needs?
357-SBC.jpg

Yup, a Chevy small block.

Or the legend itself

http://img100.imageshack.**/img100/674/p5249667acwz1.jpg

The 426 Hemi.

I have a better idea. How about pedestrians stop throwing themselves in front of my car? No one around here looks before jumping out in the road from behind a van or other obstruction. They cross wherever they want... at night... while wearing black. I think if they get turned into hood-meat it's their own fault.

You know what that car really needs?
357-SBC.jpg

Yup, a Chevy small block.

A wingless Diamond DA-40 (You're not the only one who noticed KaJuN) with a Chevy Small Block? I like your thinking.

anything new on this? sounds like an awesome deal if they can pull it off. I also read that VW is going to re-look the GX3 as well. I am sure it could be in production much sooner than this, but the MPG would not even tough this crazy aptera thing!

bad repost :lol:

I didn't even know this was an old thread till I saw a post from mopar man

I'm going to shove a turbine engine in mine. Just feels right.