Jeremy Clarkson on the Nissan GTR

No shit sherlock :p

lol fair enough i spose, but you do understand my point?

The reasons people complain about lack of driver involvement with the GT-R is because it has just that issue, the steering isn't as good as it should be, and the engine may sound good compared to Ford Fiesta, but its nothing compared to a uncorked Lambo.

As for JCs point of view, i'm confused as to if he liked it or not, he definitely seemed to get the ending wrong. I don't think its that Michael Schumacher's couldn't exploit the car, i think its that a toddler could get within 95% of Michael Schumacher's time.

See thats my point. What is an exciting and involving driving experience to some would be considered dangerous and frightening to others. Nissan specifically designed the car to be quiet, comfortable and easy to drive. So nissans design goals don't match what some people consider to be the perfect car. It seems wrong to criticise them for accomplishing exactly what they set out to achieve.

I honestly wish i could stop myself from acting like a fanboi about this car but most of the criticisms i read are either imaginary or arbitrary.

lol fair enough i spose, but you do understand my point?

See thats my point. What is an exciting and involving driving experience to some would be considered dangerous and frightening to others. Nissan specifically designed the car to be quiet, comfortable and easy to drive. So nissans design goals don't match what some people consider to be the perfect car. It seems wrong to criticise them for accomplishing exactly what they set out to achieve.

I honestly wish i could stop myself from acting like a fanboi about this car but most of the criticisms i read are either imaginary or arbitrary.

Yeah know, i like all the things that make the car extra controllable, i just wish to add that theres no good reason not to have better steering and a badass exhaust noise, personally i think that would bring in about 80% of the people who complain about the car as is. Ill admit i actually like the styling, its not pretty, but atleast they designed something aerodynamic and original that isn't ugly. Usually only a company like Citreon could pull that off.

I don't get this oh god the car is too good crap. I'm not a Nissan fanboy, however I give credit where credit is due, Renault of Japan produced a fantastic car.

Any car which would allow a dipshit driver like me to lap the ring in 1/3 the speed of light deserves respect. Results are all that matter.

With all that said I'd rather have a Corvette :p, but I have loads of respect for Datsun's new car.

Yeah know, i like all the things that make the car extra controllable, i just wish to add that theres no good reason not to have better steering and a badass exhaust noise, personally i think that would bring in about 80% of the people who complain about the car as is. Ill admit i actually like the styling, its not pretty, but atleast they designed something aerodynamic and original that isn't ugly.

I still can't get my head around the look of the thing, but very slowly i am finding it more visually acceptable.

The thing with all japanese cars is that they are eerily quiet when standard to pass noise laws. Unfortunately nissan is unable to get away with making their cars frightening to small children and the elderly like the smaller supercar manufacturers do. The great thing about them is they are relatively cheap and easy to modify to your own tastes. There are already aftermarket titanium exhaust systems for the gtr which would give it the balls most enthusiasts seek.

I have had 32, 33 and 34 gtr's previously and they were all modified to make them more exciting to drive and suit my taste. If i ever get a 35 (when the price comes down) the first modification would be the exhaust system.

So from what I understand here, a supercar is just a really fast car thats difficult to live with and expensive, in contract to just a car thats has supercar performance (Stock abit).

:|

you got it exactly. bottom line, just because its a supercar and lust after it, doent mean you'd actually want one. most ppl want the practical car with supercar level performance, but not supercar tempermentality, cost of ownershipm and headaches.

Why do you argue about semantics again. Call it supercar, a sports car, a really really fast Datsun, it doesn't change a thing.

I think JC gave it credit, but he also made it clear that it's not his cup of tea. On one hand I'm not surprised, he has always valued character in his cars, on other hand how can he like Veyron and not this, I don't understand :) Well, it's JC, nothing strange there I guess...

I am glad to see the people on Final Gear care for the environment! We recycle. A lot! At least threads and discussions...

Why do you argue about semantics again. Call it supercar, a sports car, a really really fast Datsun, it doesn't change a thing.

arguing semantics is what nerds on fan websites do. it stems from not having enough productive things to do in the real world. or just arguing for the sake of arguing. im pretty sure nobody in this discussion truly gives a crap, or life depends on the true definition of a supercar.

arguing semantics is what nerds on fan websites do. it stems from not having enough productive things to do in the real world. or just arguing for the sake of arguing. im pretty sure nobody in this discussion truly gives a crap, or life depends on the true definition of a supercar.

Yeah, that about sums it up. :lol:

I think JC gave it credit, but he also made it clear that it's not his cup of tea. On one hand I'm not surprised, he has always valued character in his cars, on other hand how can he like Veyron and not this, I don't understand :) Well, it's JC, nothing strange there I guess...

Well with the Veyron, you have enough acceleration to get from 0-60 MPH in 2.5 seconds. I am pretty sure that changes things :D

Well JC did give it a verdict of Unfathomably good.
They engineered the thing to go fast. Who said being fast meant you had to go sideways around a corner the whole time. Nissan just made the thing go fast round corners.

The latest Best Motoring Has a review of it.