2008 Canadian Formula 1 Grand Prix

This is why i am starting to really dislike Hamilton.

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_3666218,00.html

Asked whether it had been a "consolation" that Hamilton's race-ending mistake also proved terminal for his closest rival in the World Championship, the Englishman replied: "Not really. I'd rather it not happened. I was breezing it - it was going to be an easy victory."

I wonder if it was going to be easy for him before or after Kimi and Robert passed him ? :rolleyes:

Yeah, Hamilton's comments have been getting on my nerves lately too - I still admire him as a driver, but I'm becoming less of a fan of his personality (well, the one that we see anyway). Of course his comments shouldn't take anything away from his efforts behind the wheel though.

Sucks for Hamilton in France...but hey, that means I'll see some overtaking there :D

I too cannot see the difference between this and Raikkonen. Yes, Raikkonen lost control at a speed where it is easy to lose control. But at that speed your concentration levels should be at a maximum. In the pitlane you're just cruising, and yes you SHOULD be concentrated. But so should Raikkonen at 200mph in the wet.

Raikkonen's case - you're going 290km/h, changing from dry to wet, dark to light. He doesn't make this kind of mistakes often, but it's excusable.
Hamilton - one of the best drivers in the world can't see the red light. Remember that this is F1 car, that can stop from 80 in less than 15 meters. I don't now what was he looking at, but this was one of the most stupid things that I've ever seen in F1(I compare it with Albers and the fuel hose and Hamilton in China last year - another very stupid mistake). And for his comment that this would have been easy victory - yeah right, before the SC Kimi was HALF a second(or more) faster in EACH lap. And by the way GoldenBoy was third - not very easy position to win from.

Raikkonen's case - you're going 290km/h, changing from dry to wet, dark to light. He doesn't make this kind of mistakes often, but it's excusable.
Hamilton - one of the best drivers in the world can't see the red light. Remember that this is F1 car, that can stop from 80 in less than 15 meters. I don't now what was he looking at, but this was one of the most stupid things that I've ever seen in F1.

Again, let's not forget Rosberg.

I too cannot see the difference between this and Raikkonen. Yes, Raikkonen lost control at a speed where it is easy to lose control. But at that speed your concentration levels should be at a maximum. In the pitlane you're just cruising, and yes you SHOULD be concentrated. But so should Raikkonen at 200mph in the wet.

Difference? One is under race condition, one is with pitlane speed limiter on.

The crash at Monaco, Kimi made his best effort to keep the car under control, this crash at Canada was done beacuse goldenboy was not paying attention, FIA made it pretty clear already that both Rosberg and hamilton will get a 10 place drop.

Well, this is coming from Kimi

f1.com said:
"There's not much I can say," was Raikkonen's reaction. "My race was ruined by Hamilton's mistake. Obviously, anyone can make mistakes, as I did two weeks ago in Monaco, but it's one thing to make a mistake at two hundred (miles) per hour but another to hit a car stopped at a red light. I am not angry because that doesn't achieve anything and does not change my result! I am unhappy, because I had a great chance of winning."

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/6/7902.html

Last edited:
"They're scoring points all the time and now they're one and two so nobody can count them out," Raikkonen said. "(Kubica) is up four points on Lewis and Massa and seven points on me, so he has quite a nice gap. But I'd rather let him win than somebody else."

Kimi maybe piss angry but he defends that he can't blame anyone because he knows the how hard it is to be in F1 and mistakes DO happen.

Hamilton is shrugging it off because he will probably eventually confess or blame someone, both things he doesn't want to do.

I find it hard to believe that people consider the R?ikk?nen-Sutil accident in Monaco and yesterday's accident equal. True, the incidents were similar in that both featured one car crashing into the rear of another one but the fact that one happened in the pit lane and another on race track is crucial.

I'm no racing driver but I think it's absolutely clear: You do not crash in the pit lane. You take extra care so you don't crash and if you do cause an accident on the pit lane you should be penalised for it. When Kimi hit Sutil back in Monaco it was a racing incident, one driver lost control and unfortunately hit another one. But that happened on the race track where mistakes can happen and in general I'm not fond of penalising drivers for accidents as long as they are not blantantly intentional. But with all the people in close approximity, pit lane is completely different.

All that said, I can see how easy the mistake was to make. You almost never come across such a situation, and people in F1 should see if similar things can be prevented in the future. In the very least, the lights should be made more visible.

You are trippin.

At the very least, when you combine the Hamilton-haters and the guys believing Raikkonen's Monaco accident & Hamilton's running the red are the same thing - this thread is amusing me...

I forget, who was parked next to Raikonnen in the lane, it doesn't say on f1.com

Well technically, Raikkonen shouldn't have even been on that part of the track, he should've been nicely queued up behind Kubica. Had he done so, Hamilton would've missed him and run the red light anyway.

^^ Maybe he thought Kubica was in trouble but saw the red light and avoided him.

Courtesy of D-Fence in the funny picture thread (sorry for stealing pictures... but everyone must see it):

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/06/09/1212993375140.jpg

^^ lol

I'm in the process of recreating the moment in GTA:SA, using a 599, mc F1 and a BMW of sorts XD and recording it

Regardless of what you think of Lewis, you've got to acknowledge that they've got to come down hard on anyone that cocks up in the pit area. It's not a sterile and controlled environment like the track is; you've got people and equipment and whatnot all over the place as well as other cars coming in at different angles and speeds to the lane itself. So it's a dangerous place for anyone there. For that reason drivers need to be paying attention and it's only fair that any inattentiveness is penalised.

Oh, and go Robert!

Quick question: does anyone know what the hell happened with Webber? He seems to have conceded at least 5 places based on grid position, but I don't recall him having any spins (other than that last one in the final few laps and that only cost him 1 place, if any). Did something happen that I missed? Did he get passed a lot? Did he have some horribly unfortunate pitting times? I mean he was in 4th at one stage, yet those who were ahead and behind him at that stage didn't drop back anywhere near as far as he did in the final standings.

Quick question: does anyone know what the hell happened with Webber? He seems to have conceded at least 5 places based on grid position, but I don't recall him having any spins (other than that last one in the final few laps and that only cost him 1 place, if any). Did something happen that I missed? Did he get passed a lot? Did he have some horribly unfortunate pitting times? I mean he was in 4th at one stage, yet those who were ahead and behind him at that stage didn't drop back anywhere near as far as he did in the final standings.

Webber didn't lose that much. He was 10th on the grid after the bump with the wall in quali, and then he was 11th or 12th at the end of the first lap.