CTS-V new 'Ring record holder!

I would enjoy seeing a face of a european in an M5 getting overtaken by the CTS-V :)

Well, short of a race track, where should that happen? If you have 550 HP or 507 HP, is absolutely irrelevant on a normal road.

If the Cadillac only wouldn't look like it was designed by Fred Flintstone, with a very big hammer and a very big chisel, it could be an astonishing car.

:? Wat? That post was about as UnClarkson as it gets.

they way he wrote, 'continuous' is how clarkson speaks, he just keeps on blabbering and blabbering :p Just imagine him saying that, you would get what I meant <_<

Well, short of a race track, where should that happen? If you have 550 HP or 507 HP, is absolutely irrelevant on a normal road.

If the Cadillac only wouldn't look like it was designed by Fred Flintstone, with a very big hammer and a very big chisel, it could be an astonishing car.

On an autobahn for instance? Any highway/road would do, I'm talking general two cars accelerating side by side and one of them doing it faster type of thing. I actually like the styling, it's a big improvement over the previous body type and actually has some nice presence to it, almost muscle car like.

On an autobahn for instance?

If you had the road all for yourselves and if the Cadillac had the better aerodynamics for high speeds (which I doubt) and if both cars were without a limiter, yes... then maybe.

But since you never have the road for yourself, it is quite irrelevant.

Besides, if you'd set up a race from, say, Hamburg to Munich in normal traffic, the winner will not be the fastest car but the one with the best fuel economy ;) An Audi A4 Diesel would beat both then, because it does not have to refuel, which takes about 15 minutes or more, depending on how long you have to wait for a free filling station.

If the Diesel manages to maintain an average speed of 120 km/h on a distance of 1000 km, (which is about the most you can get in normal traffic on the Autobahn without becoming a murderer), any attempt to beat it by a more powerful car is doomed to fail.
Because if you count two refillings in (which an M5 or especially the Cadillac will need), the faster car would have to catch up at least 30 minutes (probably more).

So while the Diesel would do the distance with an average of 120 km/h, the M5 or the Cadillac would have to do it with an average of about 130 km/h at least, which is extremely hard to achieve, given there are also speed limits in parts. Then there will be stop-and-go traffic sometimes or even traffic jams caused by lorries overtaking each other or caravans overtaking lorries... you get the picture.

And if the road is free for a moment, the Diesel could also go 200 or 220 km/h and would still not be forced to refuel because of such short periods of higher speeds.

That's why those big Top Gear races are actually pointless: A Polo Diesel would have beaten the Ferrari or the Aston or the SLR or even the Veyron over that distance (given that Jeremy really kept to the speed limits).

And to give you something to think about: 2 years ago my aunt and uncle were having their 50th anniversary and I drove the 300 km their in my Golf which scratches the 200 km/h with some rear wind. However, on the way back I switched cars with my mum and her husband, who have a Mercedes E350 and at times I was able to do 250 km/h until the limiter kicked in. Now guess how much faster I was on my way back?

10 minutes.

That's the whole difference 171 more horsepowers and 15 miles to the gallon do for you on the German Autobahn on a stretch of 300 km.

I had more fun on the way back, though :mrgreen:

So the only place where the Cadillac would really be able to overtake the M5, is in discussions among groups of regulars. On a normal road there would never be the space and time for either of them to be faster than the other.

Last edited:
Lap times aren't everything, but the CTS-V looks to be a much better competitor to the M5 than the STS-V ever was.

No, what I did here, was dare to criticise an American car and upset the US flag wavers on the group. Had this been an Audi, BMW, etc that I had said the same about, it would have been OK. It was about the car, it always was about the car, but some people wanted to make it personal. Its about the car!

I was expecting the "America's bigger than England" or "We helped you win WW2" to come up or to be corrected for using English spellings of words of something!

I'm sorry, but you've got to be able to accept criticism once in a while, not everything from America is great. OK theres Starbucks, McDonalds & Dr Pepper, I'll give you that, and thanks for helping us beat the Germans in WW2.

If you had the road all for yourselves and if the Cadillac had the better aerodynamics for high speeds (which I doubt) and if both cars were without a limiter, yes... then maybe.

Cadillac has no intention of putting on a limiter, and they claim it should top out (with the manual) at about 191mph.

No, what I did here, was dare to criticise an American car and upset the US flag wavers on the group. Had this been an Audi, BMW, etc that I had said the same about, it would have been OK. It was about the car, it always was about the car, but some people wanted to make it personal. Its about the car!
I'm sorry, but you are the one with the problem here. The point is not that you criticized the CTS-V, the point is that you did so by saying that they did not archieve the record as they claimed, using false logic and (deliberately?) ignoring information in the introductory article.

Last edited:

I was expecting the "America's bigger than England" or "We helped you win WW2" to come up or to be corrected for using English spellings of words of something!

I'm sorry, but you've got to be able to accept criticism once in a while, not everything from America is great. OK theres Starbucks, McDonalds & Dr Pepper, I'll give you that, and thanks for helping us beat the Germans in WW2.

If anyone was flag waving, it was you. You were just going on blindly following the old adage of "European is always better than anything those uncultured Americans can make. See my Ferrari Mondail for instance!"

Also, McDonald's sucks, Starbucks is crap coffee, and RC Cola is better. And the CTS-V is still a world class car.

American cars are criticized here all the time. Hell I despise the vast majority of Cadillacs made in the last thirty years.

What I find annoying are the fanboys who can't give credit where credit is due because of the badge. This is what I am seeing a lot of in this thread.

Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier - I think BMW has a lot to be worried about here in the US.

If anyone was flag waving, it was you. You were just going on blindly following the old adage of "European is always better than anything those uncultured Americans can make. See my Ferrari Mondail for instance!"

Also, McDonald's sucks, Starbucks is crap coffee, and RC Cola is better. And the CTS-V is still a world class car.

No kidding. I believe that some of the loudest and harshest critics of American cars... are the Americans in this forum. Yours truly included.

hannah, you probably shouldn't use your car as an example; the Mondial was one of the worst cars Ferrari ever built. Handling was slow and it made the 1980 Corvette look like a paragon of reliability. Time Magazine put that car on the list of the Top 50 WORST Cars Of All Time - http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658533_1658043,00.html:

Even the legendary Italian sports car company whiffs once in a while, and the first Ferrari Mondial was a big red disaster. Based on the 308 chassis, this large and relatively heavy 2+2 coupe had a mere 214 hp on tap from its transversely mounted, mid-engine V8, and its transistor-based electronics had more bugs than a Barstow motel rollaway. Eventually, every single system would fail, not infrequently accompanied by the smell of burning wires. The factory-authorized service, meanwhile, was more like factory-authorized extortion. It hasn't helped the Mondial reputation that it was one of the "cheap" Ferraris, within reach of a reasonably successful orthodontist. Mondials eventually got much better. They could hardly get worse.

I went up against a Mondial a few times while SCCA racing. They almost always DNF'd or ended up several laps down from *everyone* at the end of the race. The ones I've driven weren't very good either - old-style Ferrari heavy effort controls, goes like a loaded garbage truck and random parts fall off while you're driving.

Congratulations, you bought the Pinto of Ferraris.

Last edited:
What I find annoying are the fanboys who can't give credit where credit is due because of the badge.

You're right lets give credit where credit is due, the CTS-V handling was improved thanks to the Opel (GERMAN) tuned chassis and Brembo (ITALIAN) brakes.

Um.... it was Brembo USA that helped out with the brakes, and Opel didn't give much help at all for THIS CTS. The last one was an Opel show - the new one was GM USA; the only support offered was logistical.

Or would you like to talk about the American spark plugs in your Ferrari?

Or that Audi and Ferrari now use an American made magnetic suspension technology. Or that for years BMW used GM automatic transmissions. We can go on like this forever. What matters is who designed the overall car, not where a couple components were made.

Because if you count two refillings in (which an M5 or especially the Cadillac will need)

I agree with you that horsepower doesn't really make you any faster on public roads, but I should point out that the previous CTS-V got 40% better fuel economy than the M5 (15/24 MPG vs 11/17). The new one will probably be a little worse due to the extra power, but I'm guessing it'll still be better than the M5.

Just because it's an Ahmericun car with 3 million year old valve technology doesn't necessarily mean it's inefficient. ;)

You're right lets give credit where credit is due, the CTS-V handling was improved thanks to the Opel (GERMAN) tuned chassis and Brembo (ITALIAN) brakes.

You are very naive to think that only this car uses parts or other things that are either made in or provided for in other countries. Wake up, there is no such thing as an All-American, All-German, All-Italian, All-Japanese, All-Korean, etc. car anymore (if you define it to be made with parts/knowledge/etc. from one country only), and if there are a few that are they are the minor exception to the new rule.

Yep. The new CTS-V has displacement on demand and a lot of low end torque so it should beat the M5 in fuel economy when it it time to cruise.

Wow, I never thought I'd see the forum populous put so much effort into actually pointing out an American car quite possibly is good, especially one featuring poshrods and less than 100hp/liter.

It's such a beautiful site, and I promised myself I wouldn't cry. Be strong Dusty, you can do it.

You're a fucking idiot.

There, I went there and said it. Nobody here said "AMERICA, FUCK YEAH" or anything until your ignorant stanky ass came stompin' up in this grille yo and blathered about how we're all a bunch of fat, stupid Americans.

But it's ok, we see it for what it is: your trying to make up for being a complete and utter fucking moron by discrediting Cadillac's claim of setting a record because you couldn't wrap your narrow-minded head around there. Just because we can figure out that 33rd in records isn't last, and...oh fuck, I don't even want to go there, you're giving me a migraine. See what your stupidity has done? It's forced me to pop some Tylenols and take a nap. Thanks, dumbass.

And your Mondial sucks, I wouldn't even accept it if they offered it to me for free. It's the only Ferrari in the world where I'd rather walk on burnt tetanus-infected stumps for legs across a sea of Rosie O'Donnell's fat folds than own.