Automotive Molester - (56k get with the 21st century)

Hey, is there a way i could tune my GDI engine any? I've asked around on the mitsubishi forums and haven't gotten any positive answers...

Yes any engine can be tuned for more performance. The key is that some engines respond better to modification than others and some engines are cheaper to modify than others. In some cases it may not be worth the expense when the gains are only small. For example hi performance hondas are notorious for being so well tuned from the factory that it is hard to improve them (not that it stops people trying). Forced induction is always the best way to get power cheaply and easily and if the engine comes turbo or super charged as standard then it makes things very easy indeed.

In the case of naturally aspirated engines the modification path is pretty much the same for all of them. Freeing up the intake and exhaust so the engine can pump air more efficiently is the goal. The first and easiest mod is the air intake system, a free flowing air filter and cold air induction setup is the way to go. Then look at getting a better flowing exhaust and extractors. The next step would be an ecu retune and then possibly a camshaft upgrade. After that you would have to go to head porting with larger valves and raising the compression, thats where it starts getting really expensive.

For most performance engines you will find all the parts you need off the shelf. Other engines are not well supported with aftermarket parts in which case you need to get custom parts fabricated.

In your case Ice it depends on your goals. A modest power upgrade is certainly achievable.

Well, I was told that since it's a direct injection setup, it's not worth it. :/

Yeah well it would be a very efficient engine by nature so it is hard to improve on. There would still be gains from opening up the exhaust system and having a very good free flowing filter setup with a good cold air feed. I suspect any gains would be small as it is really an engine designed more for economy than power.

True, I did replace the original filter with a bit sportier, but that only made it a bit louder. XD

can you make my car faster? :p

can you make my car faster? :p

jet-beetle.jpg

:p

My general theory goes something along the lines of "Anything can be made faster by putting a turbo on it. If it already has a turbo then fit an even bigger one"

But thats just me. :shifty:

Suddenly i have the urge to take my track car out and film it. Maybe later tonight.....

My general theory goes something along the lines of "Anything can be made faster by putting a turbo on it. If it already has a turbo then fit an even bigger one"

But thats just me. :shifty:

Suddenly i have the urge to take my track car out and film it. Maybe later tonight.....

LOL that is exactly how I think :)

How about your 0-escape velocity time :)
lol
you underestimate the massive slow of my car :p
granted there are plenty of slower things but I wanted an evo.
Damn lovable slow car that I will never be able to sell.