Morel Dilemma: Choosing between two Lexi, could use your help

ictguy

Car(s)
Lexus GS450h
Greetings,

I currently have a Lexus GS450h which i really like.

P9101195.jpg

P9101235.jpg

Just yesterday I was offered a test-drive in a Lexus IS-F. Man (or woman), that one mighty beast!

blauw-scheef.jpg

quad-tailpipe.jpg

Unfortunatly (or luckily, depending on your view) I live in the Netherlands and we pay a huge excessive taxes (BPM and BTW as they're called).
Should I hand in my GS450h (which is an incredible fast 2000kg car) for a gas-guzzler 5 Liter V8 with a sound that would shame Barry manilow hitting his finger?:cry:

In short? YES!!!!

Assuming practicality, price and efficiency are not at the top of your priority lists (since you are considering an IS-F I doubt they are). I would say go for it.

Ah yes, i can definatly afford it. I have no social life :lol:

The luxery problem that i have is that these to cars are almost day and night, or Jekyll & Hyde as you would like.
The GS450h is a wolf in sheeps clothes, it does not want to stand out and quietly (literally also, it's a Hybrid) does it's job.
The IS-F, screams bloody murder (above 3600 RPM when the extra exhaust valve's open), not only in sounds, but is also screamy in design.
The little boy in me likes the extraordinary design, the grown up man in me despises it (but he is loosing ground rapidly).

So it comes down to a tug of war between the emotional heart (the devil on my left should: Buy it, it has 423 HP) and the intellectual brain (the angel that says, do you know you're going to shell out an extra 40K for the sound of the car?).

Take the IS-F, and hope that it won't kill you. Much more exciting than the GS :D

The IS-F does look more angry than the GS, but it is still kind of discreet, like a RS4 or a M3, a non car person wouldn't look twice. Plus in these eco hysterical times we live in I would buy the most polluting car I could afford, nothing says "fuck off you lentil eating hippie" more than a V8!

Again, buy it, buy it now!

Lexi?! Never say that again.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km11Cb5NDp0[/youtube]

Buy the IS-F, come pick me up and we'll go pick up some chicks to improve your social life.

Ah yes, i can definatly afford it. I have no social life :lol:

The luxery problem that i have is that these to cars are almost day and night, or Jekyll & Hyde as you would like.
The GS450h is a wolf in sheeps clothes, it does not want to stand out and quietly (literally also, it's a Hybrid) does it's job.
The IS-F, screams bloody murder (above 3600 RPM when the extra exhaust valve's open), not only in sounds, but is also screamy in design.
The little boy in me likes the extraordinary design, the grown up man in me despises it (but he is loosing ground rapidly).

So it comes down to a tug of war between the emotional heart (the devil on my left should: Buy it, it has 423 HP) and the intellectual brain (the angel that says, do you know you're going to shell out an extra 40K for the sound of the car?).

Do it! You only live once, and in this current political climate it won't be long before loud V8s are killed off :(

Go get a Merc AMG and be properly happy. Otherwise keep the car. The Hybrids out here hold there value a lot more, and if you do a lot of driving the benefit makes good sense, also with Governments willing to be incentives they make even more sense.
And if you must have a Japanese sport car, it would be better to go the full nine yards and get a GT-R.

Go for it mate, if you can afford a GS450, IS-F shouldn't be too pricey for you.

You will love the car.

V8s won't be outlawed in a country where you can go buy weed and a hooker with your Visa card.
If that's true why would people even spend money on cars there?

Kill the brain with the acceleration of the IS-F :)

I'm gonna go against the grain, and say keep your current car.

First of all, your GS is probably quite new and it never makes too much sense to change cars within a year or two, regardless of your financial reach.

I own a regular 2007 IS and I love it to bits, but then again I fit the IS demographic. If you picked the GS initially, you will probably find the IS very cramped. The GS is a much more mature car, especially against the IS-F, which in my opinion comes with quite a lot of factory rice.

It's not like the GS450h is a slow car... and with gas prices on the rise, I'd definitely keep the hybrid.

I'm gonna go against the grain, and say keep your current car.

First of all, your GS is probably quite new and it never makes too much sense to change cars within a year or two, regardless of your financial reach.

I own a regular 2007 IS and I love it to bits, but then again I fit the IS demographic. If you picked the GS initially, you will probably find the IS very cramped. The GS is a much more mature car, especially against the IS-F, which in my opinion comes with quite a lot of factory rice.

It's not like the GS450h is a slow car... and with gas prices on the rise, I'd definitely keep the hybrid.

Agreed, as cool as the IS-F is, i too have to recommend sticking with the GS especially if you are only keeping one car at a time. Its a nice car, pretty quick and serves a lot more purpose for you than the IS-F which will drink fuel, attract more of the wrong attn (police and stupid punk kids in their crap racers) and less luxuries and more cramped inside.

Most of the ppl are urging you to get the IS-F not because its the right or practical choice for you, but they just want to live vicariously thru you since many of them probably won't have the chance to own such a car. If you get the IS-F do it for your own reasons, not for theirs.

Owning a fast car is nice, but ultimately, you have to deal w the downsides, not them.

and you stated before, you like your GS, and since its such a new car, consider the financial downsides to switching cars so early, pretty sure you will lose money on it, however its your money to burn and if you feel like you want a fast car, go ahead.

Keep your current car imo, at least it's a bit different from the competition to me the IS-F is a bit too much "me too" for the price.

edkwon got it right...keep the GS, it makes much more sense from a money standpoint. GS is a much more comfortable car then the IS and it makes the IS feel cramped in comparison. Plus, its a hybrid...and with the gas prices these days it makes much more sense. So keep the GS and use the money you saved on some hookers :D

I wouldn't take either, however, if I had a choice like you (and a gun to my head :p), I would keep the GS. The IS-F just tries way way too hard. The GS sticks to Lexus roots, and I respect that. I just couldn't see myself waking up every morning and seeing the rhinoceros nosed IS-F in my driveway :\

However, if you don't like the German marques, and do fancy a bit of a laugh, rumour has it that the IS-F will not disappoint you with edge of the seat action. It supposedly sounds pretty nice as well, at your whim, of course.

I'm personally not a fan of Lexus/Toyota at all and would have neither.

How can you get the grammatically correct plural form of Lexus correct, but screw up "Moral?" (Or for that matter, use the word moral so inappropriately?)