top gear before 01?

bfcftw

I looked at the stickies up top and did some other searching. I know it started very late 70's and jeremy took over as host in 89 but is there any copies of any of these episodes? what about before jeremy, i cant seem to find any info on them.

Im sure it's been posted so sorry about bringing this back up if it has.

I gotta figure out how to do FTP's and download them. thanks for the links. what about pre 1989? im just curious what it might be like. as for your first link, like you mentioned they're not available.

If you like the format now, you probably will not like the earilier shows as much. Some are pretty good, but nothing special, not to mention how out dated the cars are.

?Classic? Top Gear (1977-2001) episodes are a lot like Fifth Gear, only less exciting. Jezza?s early work was quite dry in wit, which went well with the understated nature of Classic TG. There was a stronger consumer and technical emphasis.

Basically, it was made for people who are basically a cross between James May and Esther Rantzen. I quite like it and enjoy the episodes of Classic TG that have made it on to the intertubes, so there you go.

Nice to see some of the cars of the time, and the road safety issues discussed. Looking at these from the benefit of hindsight is interesting. Mind you I was around for the originals.

/EDIT V Viper being kind!

Last edited:
I gotta figure out how to do FTP's and download them. thanks for the links. what about pre 1989? im just curious what it might be like. as for your first link, like you mentioned they're not available.

Earliest ones we've got at at the moment are 1986. There are some short clips of earlier episodes in "21 years of Top Gear" which is available. [Plug]The best place to check is the Wiki - it's got full contents listings of every episode that's available on the FTP's (well over 100 episodes at present).[/plug]

It must be nearly impossible to get hold of digital copies of these old eps. They aren't shown on TV anymore so I guess the only place is from old tapes or some sort of archive? They aren't all that interesting to me but maybe if I really wanted to know what their opinion was on a specific car I would watch it. Its still nice to have them around though.