Pickup Trucks on Gear?

This is kind of pointless. Trucks will soon become dinosaurs, since many are abandoning them due to the high cost of ownership (i.e. $5 gas).
Yes, retards who buy trucks just because they think they're big and cool may be giving it a second thought with todays gas prices, but a truck is still the best way to transport just about anything, so trucks aren't going anywhere. Do you really think you'll see people stuffing stacks of lumber or there old couch into a prius? Giant useless cars like the huge off road capable SUV gas guzzlers soccer mom's drive do need to go since they cost more money and waste more resources without even having the limited benefits of being a high performance car, but trucks are purpose built and are necessary for many people. You can bet that rather then scrapping them like with the giant SUV's, we will be attempting to make them more efficient, a topic that the show could explore.

You can bet that rather then scrapping them like with the giant SUV's, we will be attempting to make them more efficient, a topic that the show could explore.

How jolly exciting, an article on how to make commercial vehicles more fuel efficient and eco-friendly. How very Top Gear.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLKExuHlQMQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfLIR1d5x1I[/youtube]

-Top Gear isn't an eco-friendly show, its all about sports cars, but another interesting part of the show is when they attempt to find simple solutions to problems. Also, i wasn't referring to the crew themselves trying to think of ways to make trucks more fuel efficient, but if for example there was a new alternative fuel truck i don't see why it wouldn't be commented on and/or reviewed, even if only to point out its flaws like Clarkson's Prius review. The show is about power but its also about general automotive news and regardless of the opinions they choose to express i doubt the show will totally ignore it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see them do the Dodge Ram SRT-10 (the one with the viper engine) and of course the Ford F-150 Lightning, although Jeremy already told us its crap.

Why doesn't someone in California call into his radio show and ask?

If within context of the show they should most certainly do truck reviews. Why? Because its something people actually BUY. Just like city cars that TG UK reviews. I want to see truck reviews in the same fashion that TG UK reviews those luxury SUVs--by actually taking them offroad and or testing their capabilities.

[pre-show rant]
You know what bothers me is whether or not the rest of the world will have an open mind about this. The minute one of the reviewers say "this interior is cool" or something thereof referring to an American car or "it handles pretty good" also when referring to an American car these said Worldly snobs will start throwing stones and setting things aflame. Everyone needs to take each contienent's show in context to that landscape.
[/pre-show rant]

*edit*
And please keep in mind I'm German not American so don't start preemptively throwing the stones calling me an American hillbilly or whatnot.

And please keep in mind I'm German not American so don't start preemptively throwing the stones calling me an American hillbilly or whatnot.

But you live in Texas and drive a Camaro (in primer!). Too late.

;)

I say let the pickup trucks in Yank Gear. They can have "A Star In An Unreasonably Tall SUV" segment. We'll watch the stars pitch and roll a lifted Tahoe around the track, that sprays hot coffee at them, and has a 160db cellphone ringer inside it as well. :D

Really though, having oodles and oodles of them, all over the place is no guarantee of getting on Top Gear. There's a bunch of top selling cars in the UK that Clarkson, Hammond and May despise, and really, how often do you hear them say "and coming up, the Stig thrashes the new Astra estate on our test track"

They review white vans on Top Gear, so why wouldn't the US version review trucks? There's also a lot of places to do serious off-roading in America, so I'd expect there to be coverage of Jeeps and so forth.

Steve

Yeah, trucks to me are like sports cars. For example: A two seat , rear wheel drive, manual, leaf-spring, firm suspension, peppy 4 cylinder...

Ford_Ranger_SORV_1_fw.jpg

Ford Ranger. :D

Yeah, trucks to me are like sports cars. For example: A two seat , rear wheel drive, manual, leaf-spring, firm suspension, peppy 4 cylinder...

Ford_Ranger_SORV_1_fw.jpg

Ford Ranger. :D

This is quite possibly, the un-attackable argument, I think.

I just can't do it. I'm really trying here.

You sir, have beaten the internets.

They review white vans on Top Gear, so why wouldn't the US version review trucks? There's also a lot of places to do serious off-roading in America, so I'd expect there to be coverage of Jeeps and so forth.

Steve

Let's keep in mind, how much of a loathing they have for white vans in general. Vans usually get abused and whatnot on Top Gear.

Steve

Yup, America has the Ford F-150, we have the Transit! But I did find the van review quite boring, so I doubt reviewing pickups will be very interesting. They are just commercial vehicles after all

I suspect they'll be reviews of off-roaders, like Jeeps, Rangies etc etc. but they review that stuff on TG (Disco up a mountain, Tank vs RR Sport etc etc). Will be interesting to see some cars that we don't get here been reviewed.

Personally I thought one of the best 5th Gear episodes ever was the Transit v. Sprinter track test Tiff did.

But seriously, if the goal is the make TG-USA to Americans what TG is to the British, you have to account for the fact that Americans and trucks go together.

Trying to simply make TG with US hosts but with the "values" of the UK version is doomed to failure. The US is different.

Billions and Billions of Americans watch football every weekend, and fourteen watch soccer. :)

Steve