AlGores electricty use can provide power to 232 homes.

Jay

the fool on the hill
Energy Guzzled by Al Gore?s Home in Past Year Could Power 232 U.S. Homes for a Month

Gore?s personal electricity consumption up 10%, despite ?energy-efficient? home renovations

NASHVILLE - In the year since Al Gore took steps to make his home more energy-efficient, the former Vice President?s home energy use surged more than 10%, according to the Tennessee Center for Policy Research.

?A man?s commitment to his beliefs is best measured by what he does behind the closed doors of his own home,? said Drew Johnson, President of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research. ?Al Gore is a hypocrite and a fraud when it comes to his commitment to the environment, judging by his home energy consumption.?

In the past year, Gore?s home burned through 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month.

In February 2007, An Inconvenient Truth, a film based on a climate change speech developed by Gore, won an Academy Award for best documentary feature. The next day, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research uncovered that Gore?s Nashville home guzzled 20 times more electricity than the average American household.

After the Tennessee Center for Policy Research exposed Gore?s massive home energy use, the former Vice President scurried to make his home more energy-efficient. Despite adding solar panels, installing a geothermal system, replacing existing light bulbs with more efficient models, and overhauling the home?s windows and ductwork, Gore now consumes more electricity than before the ?green? overhaul.

Since taking steps to make his home more environmentally-friendly last June, Gore devours an average of 17,768 kWh per month ?1,638 kWh more energy per month than before the renovations ? at a cost of $16,533. By comparison, the average American household consumes 11,040 kWh in an entire year, according to the Energy Information Administration.

In the wake of becoming the most well-known global warming alarmist, Gore won an Oscar, a Grammy and the Nobel Peace Prize. In addition, Gore saw his personal wealth increase by an estimated $100 million thanks largely to speaking fees and investments related to global warming hysteria.

?Actions speak louder than words, and Gore?s actions prove that he views climate change not as a serious problem, but as a money-making opportunity,? Johnson said. ?Gore is exploiting the public?s concern about the environment to line his pockets and enhance his profile.?

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research, a Nashville-based free market think tank and watchdog organization, obtained information about Gore?s home energy use through a public records request to the Nashville Electric Service.

Source.

Last edited:
Fucking idiot. Someone shoot him, please.

Yup. There was an email circulating around the internets after Al Gore released his global warming movie:

LOOK OVER THE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE FOLLOWING TWO HOUSES AND SEE IF YOU CAN TELL WHICH BELONGS TO AN ENVIRONMENTALIST.

HOUSE # 1:

A 20-room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural gas. Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house all heated by gas. In ONE MONTH ALONE this mansion consumes more energy than the average American household in an ENTIRE YEAR. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2,400.00 per month. In natural gas alone (which last time we checked was a fossil fuel), this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not in a northern or Midwestern "snow belt," either. It's in the South.

HOUSE # 2:

Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university, this house incorporates every "green" feature current home construction can provide. The house contains only 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and is nestled on arid high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67 degrees F.) heats the house in winter and cools it in summer. The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas, and it consumes 25% of the electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Flowers and shrubs native to the area blend the property into the surrounding rural landscape.

HOUSE # 1
(20 room energy guzzling mansion) is outside of Nashville, Tennessee. It is the abode of that renowned environmentalist (and filmmaker) Al Gore.

HOUSE # 2
(model eco-friendly house) is on a ranch near Crawford, Texas. Also known as "the Texas White House," it is the private residence of the President of the United States, George W. Bush.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp

Speedtouch said:
Fucking idiot. Someone shoot him, please.

Ah, no need to do that. Al Gore is just a very clever businessman. The massive stupidity of the American public are buying up his BS like there's no tomorrow. If anything, this speaks more about the American public than anything.

^^Don't give the Americans all the credit! Al Gore is pretty popular in Europe as well..

Your thread title is misleading, one year compared to one month.

I agree.

Hey, guess what?! The energy my house used last year could power 12 whole homes for a month! I'm such an energy waster!

^ :lol:

Ah, no need to do that. Al Gore is just a very clever businessman. The massive stupidity of the American public are buying up his BS like there's no tomorrow. If anything, this speaks more about the American public than anything.

Yeah, but, one or a million? Al Gore is indeed a clever businessman, but is still fueling this debate, which is unnecessary. Without people like him, the public would be perhaps less na?ve, and we could get on with our lives in a less pressured society in which the slightest hint of shortages of petrol results in instant panic buying. Sure the damage is done now, but we could at least try and control it.

Your thread title is misleading, one year compared to one month.

So 20x the average American household is just SO much better and really does make him an environmentalist after all!!??!! :lol: That's so funny. More so given his usage went up after doing his renovations meaning he had no idea what he was doing and din't know how much each improvement would save him.

He thought he was saving more electricity than he did so used even more than before because he thought he could.....idiot!

Will say though, i was really surprised to see House#2 as being GWB's :cool:

manbearpig.jpg

It takes a lot of energy to find a half man half bear half pig...

Thread title...

Default AlGores electricty use can provide power to 232 homes for a year.

Article title from link...

Energy Guzzled by Al Gore?s Home in Past Year Could Power 232 U.S. Homes for a Month

Big difference. 232 times or just under 20 times.

And yes 20 times average is still way too much, especially for someone claiming to be an environmentalist. I'm not defending him, however...

Maybe its the cynic in me but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the meter reading was taken the month after the reno, meaning it actually was for the month during the reno and included all of extra electricity use of the contractors. How do they get the info anyway? Is it publicly available?

And good on G.W., I'll give credit where its due.

Yes, he's using too much energy.

But (and bear in mind I don't know how the system works in the US) if his energy supplier is a 'green' one, or a 'carbon neutral' one, does that make it OK? I don't know, to be honest.

yeah, he's a dumbass... and his inconvenient truth isn't so inconvenient or true as he would like us to believe...

but he's so funny, and not to mention super serial! manbearpig ftw!

If he cared so much, then he should lead a less extravagant lifestyle. He's not forced to live in a mansion, he could live in a fuckin' hut.

Moron. "Hi, I fight for the environment but I live in a mansion that's 20x bigger than a normal house."

The home is four times bigger then the average American home and uses twelve times the energy of the average American home.

I'm sure he's using the power for something important....

death-star-2.jpg

If he cared so much, then he should lead a less extravagant lifestyle. He's not forced to live in a mansion, he could live in a fuckin' hut.

Exactly. Warren Buffet stile lives in a small house, and drives a 1987 Lincoln Town Car.