Top Gear America Supposedly Won't Be Censored By NBC

FinalGear

I'm A Bot!
Last week, before Eric Stromer was announced as the third host, a caller called into Adam's show wanting an update on Top Gear. Discussion ensued about the third host having been picked, that they'd be reviewing supercars and such much like the British version, and so forth. However the surprising thing, to me at least, was Adam mentioning that NBC was actually going to be allowing them to praise or more importantly criticize cars as they saw fit. Many people, including me, were worried that since NBC was advertiser supported, there would be resistance to criticizing cars that could be potential advertisers. Luckily it seems that NBC is smart enough to realize that the only way Top Gear America can succeed is if the hosts are allowed to say their true feelings and aren't on a leash. This is very, very good news.

If you're interested in listening to the actual call, you can download it (14:45 in), although there's not much that happened that I didn't cover above.

Posted By: Viper007Bond
Link: http://www.finalgear.com/news/2008/06/19/top-gear-america-supposedly-wont-be-censored-by-nbc/

Thats great news!

It seems like they'll be reviewing cars more than I expected then, which was another of my worries.

I hope to dear lord this is true. I actually have some hope for the American series now!

I don't want to seem pessimistic, but wouldn't all American car shows claim that they not being censored by their networks?

Carolla has an amazing amount of power if he can control what does and doesn't get aired by NBC. I'm fairly confident that any "critical" comments (of the Clarksonian scale) will be kept to a minimum. Especially if this makes it past pilot. Not that they really need to slam vehicles for the show to be any good. I would just classify anything Carolla says on his radio show as being the viewpoint from within his own little reality, nothing more.

I don't want to seem pessimistic, but wouldn't all American car shows claim that they not being censored by their networks?
I'd agree if it weren't Adam saying this. It doesn't even occur to him to spin the truth.

Thats what you want in a presenter IMHO - postive outlook for the show now I think - you see an optimistic Cobol74 for a change. ...

i def think adam is excited about doing this project.

also if you've ever listened to any of his radio show or loveline...you know he's pretty much gonna say whatever the hell he wants.

give the man a soapbox and he'll talk for hours.

Good news? Everything else would be a effin' disgrace, I say.

A few things to Note:
? The beloved TGUK airs in the US on a commercially sponsored network BBC America.
? The show has many top tier sponsors including auto manufacturers.
? As far as I can see, other than news and cool wall, it seems to be unedited.

The myth of unfettered criticism:
? More often than not Jeremy begins a review with a few jabs, but then ends with
?you know what, I really love this (car name here) it?s brilliant.?
? The only times I can remember a really ?tough? critique is on some POS like a Proton or another car from a manufacturer they don?t need to make the show.

I may be wrong, but I can?t really remember any time they actually gored a sacred cow.

^ Only recently - but, for instance the famoue Vectra review, killed that version in UK. Now UK market neither here nor there but do that in US/Canada for any model and you got a car company in trouble. That is the difference, the stakes are higher.

If TopGear USA gets so huge that car companies are scared of the reviews and a few cheap shots by Adam will bankrupt a car company... then NBC will have a giant success on it's hands.

"Hours"? Comon now, we all know that's not true...

It's more like "days". :lol:

lol, i know...it's true!

i used to listen to his rants on loveline. and i was like "damn, this is a 2 hour show...and he's talking about continuing it tomorrow night" :lol:

There's a huge difference between qualified bashing and bashing to sound qualified. Hopefully it's not the latter.