2008 French Formula 1 Grand Prix

Well, the extra speed he carried through the corner by cutting it is what allowed him to make the pass. He wouldn't have made the pass had he been going slow enough to make the corner, so i don't disagree with the penalty. However, if it was a Ferrari driver, you know it would have been ignored. ITV coverage started to piss me off, the first half was just 'the lewis hamilton show', until they thankfully started focusing on other interesting battles.

Honda, you're shit. Give up already. Good drive by Trulli and even Piquet.

Well, the extra speed he carried through the corner by cutting it is what allowed him to make the pass. He wouldn't have made the pass had he been going slow enough to make the corner, so i don't disagree with the penalty.

You make it sound like he meant to cut the corner - he didn't. From the on-board it looked like he was past, and then went into the corner too deep. It's a tricky call as the coverage didn't show any external camera angles - but it's not like Lewis just chose to straight-line the chicane and ignore the corner, which is something that would deserve a penalty.

I think the penalty was justified. He didn't plan to cut the chicane from the beginning, but if he wouldn't have, he probably wouldn't have been able to gain the position. So technically, he made a shortcut and gained an advantage, what he should have done is just let whoever it was pass again and then do it properly.

ITV coverage started to piss me off, the first half was just 'the lewis hamilton show', until they thankfully started focusing on other interesting battles.

I don't think that's all ITVs fault, pretty sure they don't control the video footage and they can only commentate on what we can see.

On most circuits, most corners have grass, gravel or a concrete wall at the edge of the track. If you try to enter a corner too fast and go off then you are at a significant disadvantage, possibly even out of the race. The rule exists to provide some sort of penalty for the few corners were where an advantage could be gained by cutting.

In this case Lewis was making an overly aggressive passing move that left him going way too fast for the next corner, which i doubt he would have done if there was a gravel trap there.

After that i am convinced that Lewis is a bit of a hot-head that sometimes makes mistakes due to trying just a little bit too hard.

I've said it before but you have to admire Webber's consistency. When his car doesn't fail and he doesn't get crashed into he always qualifies and places around 6-7th, which is not bad given what he has to work with.

Well done Ferrari, but it should have been Kimi's race... :| Shit happens, though, and Massa had a decent race as well.
Great race by Trulli! :) He did well while defending his position against Kova at the end.
Congrats to Heikki too, 4th from 10th is not bad at all!
BMW seems to get slower and slower :(
I don't like Piquet at all but I was really impressed today, none of the Maccas could pass him and he even beat Alonso! Who would have thought that before the race? Great drive!
Alonso was disappointing... :neutral: It seems his 4th place in quali was thanks to his low fuel load and in the race he lacked pace...
Hamilton had a chaotic day, his penalty ruined his race. He always wants to recover positions very quickly when he's in the middle of the race and sometimes his agressive stlye doesn't pay off...

Unfortuunate for Kimi!

Jarno holding off Heikki was pretty crazy, I hate Toyota, but Jarno deserves it, specially in light of Anderson's passing, a nice little dedicated podium on behalf of Toyota.

I don't think Lewis' drive through was undeserved, he would not have straightlined the chicane if he wasn't passing Vettel at the time. He should have had the sense to relinquish the position, he had the pace to try for a Podium, and I found that surprising.

Trulli roughing up Kovalainen is a part of racing, and, like he said, it's just like Karting; some good racing :).

I still think Kova's penalty yesterday was completely undeserved :\.

Piquet taking Alonso right at the end made me chuckle!

As for those writing off Honda, you have to remember that Ross has focussed all of his attention to next year's challenger so you really shouldn't be expecting anything from them for the rest of this season.

well, lewis.... the boy just needs to calm it at the start.... he could of done much better had he not gone all bat shit insane at the start. its exciting to watch him drive on the brink of self destruction but it definately hurts his race when he does.

kimi.... poor sod, had it in the bag till his mechanicals started playing up

massa..... solid drive, capitalised on kimi's misfortune

alonso went well, and trulli got that toyota right up there which was a nice suprise.

i dunno what the itv commentary was about, i think during the early stages of the races it was a bit scruffy and a bit bitty. james kept mincing his words, there was awkward pauses and a very awkward moment when they both shouted "Ted" at the same time, tho naturally brundle got talked over there.

once more, the cock.... was unbearable.

good race, not the most exciting though, it just seemed to threaten to produce something spectacular but in the end it never came

Great job by Jarno Trulli. It was exciting watching him and Kovalainen battle.

I gotta admit something that wont make me popular... I was rooting for piquet the whole time, despite not giving a damn about renault.

I hope he recovers now, doesnt get fired, and goes on to win the world championship in a few years, just to show you all!

Its his first year in a slow car, ffs...

Just got back from Magny-Cours, will post a full report with pics in a new thread soon...

Great race for France, shame that Hamilton got the drive thru (I saw the incident, he did not deserve it, I'll explain later). Great drive by Piquet and Trulli though...Kimi's Ferrari sounded like shit by the way, you could clearly hear something was wrong as it passed by the grandstand...

Good drive by Heikki to make up all those spots and get himself and his team some points. Trulli drove well too and got a well deserved podium finish.

Shame about Kimi's luck in his exhaust breaking, but at least he had enough luck to allow him to finish 2nd. Good drive by Massa allowing him to take advantage of Kimi's problem.

Although Hamilton got by Vettel, if he would've slowed down enough to make the corner from the line he was on, he would have not held the position [or hit Vettel]. Therefore he gained an advantage by not having to slow down nearly as much as Vettel, or anyone else for that matter.

I gotta admit something that wont make me popular... I was rooting for piquet the whole time, despite not giving a damn about renault.

I hope he recovers now, doesnt get fired, and goes on to win the world championship in a few years, just to show you all!

Yes, I was also hoping for a good result for Piquet as well. Remember his father who were to become a 3 times world champion scored nothing in his first year, got only three points in his second season, 54 and second in the chamionship in his third season, while he became world champion in his fourth season (1981)

I don't think that's all ITVs fault, pretty sure they don't control the video footage and they can only commentate on what we can see.

I don't mean what the cameras were on, i know that's a local director. I mean that all they talked about what Lewis' chances and what he could do from where he was. Then sometime after his first pit-stop after his drive-through they must have realized he had no chance of doing anything, so they started talking about everyone else. I'm no Hamilton hater. But i don't watch the F1 for him, i watch it for all of them, something ITV sometimes forgets about its viewership.

Hooray for Toyota and Trulli :clap: Good battle with Heikki at the end. Trulli was right about the tojos not liking the wet stuff, when it started sprinklng with rain it was like the cars had hit a bick wall, it just wasn't fast. And when it went away it suddenly found pace again.

Another good performance from Webber. Also good to see Chin-man putting in a decent showing as well.

I haven't written Piquet Jr. off either, it's his rookie season, it's a year of learning for him. Plus the Renault isn't the greatest car on the grid.

Did Kubica drive yesterday? You could honestly not have known if you weren't looking out for his name on the rankings with that coverage. It'd be nice if they'd give at least the smallest amount of airtime to the rest of the field other than Kimi/Lewis/Felipe.

Ok bitching over. Good race, although rather uneventful. I think Lewis was a little hard done by with both the 10 place penalty (I think he deserved that one) and then the drive through (undeserved). Kimi drove well and was remarkably lucky to stick it out in 2nd for another 20 laps after his exhaust fell apart. Another solid drive from Mark Webber makes me happy.

Quick question: in the season rankings, what determines who sits higher when 2 drivers are on the same points? I noticed when Heiki and Mark were tied for points that Heiki was placed above him, and now that Mark is tied with Trulli, Trulli sits above him. Is there any formula to this (based on most recent race's place?) or is it some sort of anti-Australian conspiracy?